How many sentences (by JLPT) can you read in 1 minute? Let's read Japanese sentences with self-checkable translations. [Anki/Spreadsheet/Desktop app]

Now, Anki version. Also need Multi-Line Input Box add-on for Anki.

The target is to finish both sentences from Jtest4you and Core 10k Kana.

Grossly 1,000 sentences per 10 levels. Might help to pass reading N2 at level 60, and pass N1 sometime later.

1. Lv 1-10:
  • WK lv 1-10 sentences, with Kanji not exceeding level 10
  • Core 10k kana sentences, with Kanji not exceeding level 10
  1. Lv 11-20:
  • Jtest4you N5, with Kanji not exceeding level 20
  • Core 10k kana sentences, with Kanji level 11-20
  • Core 10k Set01 sentences, with Kanji level 1-20
  • Core 10k Set02 sentences, with Kanji level 1-20
  1. Lv 21-30:
  • Jtest4you N4, with Kanji not exceeding level 30
  • Jtest4you N5, with Kanji level 21-30
  • Core 10k kana sentences, with Kanji level 21-30
  1. Lv 31-40:
  • Jtest4you N3, with Kanji not exceeding level 40
  • Jtest4you N4, with Kanji level 31-40
  • Jtest4you N5, with Kanji level 31-40
  1. Lv 41-50:
  • Jtest4you N2, with Kanji not exceeding level 50
  • Jtest4you N3, with Kanji level 41-50
  • Jtest4you N4, with Kanji level 41-50
  • Jtest4you N5, with Kanji level 41-50
  1. Lv 51-60:
  • Jtest4you N1, with Kanji not exceeding level 60
  • Jtest4you N2, with Kanji level 51-60
  • Jtest4you N3, with Kanji level 51-60
  • Jtest4you N4, with Kanji level 51-60
  • Jtest4you N5, with Kanji level 51-60
  1. ๅธธ็”จ (~800 sentences) and N1 (~200 sentences):
  • the remaining sentences from Jtest4you
  • WK sentences, Core sentences, Jtest4you sentences with kanji exceeding level 60

And the original, unexcerpted version

20 Likes

This is super cool! Thank you for going to the effort to create this. Would be ultra awesome as an Anki deck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now, the Anki version. Also need Multi-Line Input Box add-on for Anki.

Settings:

• Interval 10 min, 4 hr, 8 hr
  • Prioritize user translation

///
Edit:
I forgot {{kanji:Japanese}}. Also, Jisho translation is smart for something like this. Still, you will need to delete /b.

2 Likes

Wow, this must have taken quite a lot of work! Thank you for sharing it! Itโ€™s similar to (but much larger than) something I have been dreaming of making, which is a collection of real-world example sentences for the WK kanji.

If you want this with Audio file, follow the instruction here for Desktop Anki, and for AnkiDroid. I donโ€™t know about the iOS app.

I created a completely different Anki deck for the audio here. Good thing is I donโ€™t have to generate 7000 audio files.

///

Added audio via AwesomeTTS.

N5 listening is quite easy. N4 and N3 is a little harder. I might have to do written sentences first, or do a grammar textbook.

Or rather, I might say, not much progress even near Lv60.

I might plan to pull down to level 31 after reaching level 60, though.

4 Likes

BTW, I have just create a Duendecat version using Python and PyQt5, here. Executacle (for Mac) is in duendecat/dist/ If you want a Windows *.exe, someone with a Windows (and Python compiler) will have to compile it.

I should have learnt to create a web app. (But Iโ€™ll have to get a server host first?)

3 Likes

What an awsome effort!! Greatly appreciated.
Iโ€™ll use it to evaluate myself after reaching level 10. :muscle::muscle:

Thanks!!

Updated the app to show the number of sentences per minute. Also, added key bindings to [space] and [Enter].

I wonder how many sentences per minute should I be able to read for N3/N2 materials? (Native materials are around N2.) Still, I am only reading up to N4 for now.

*.app file is the most updated, followed by *.zip, which is a stable release. I am constantly using *.app file. This is for Mac only. If you can compile Python, you can make it for Windows.

1 Like

wow! One of the best thread there is!!!

Thank you so much!
-wawan-

Latest update also read sentences with Text-to-speech. (So, same as [Audio] EN->JP sentences based on grammar level) Also, auto-loop. However, I didnโ€™t update the executable yet. Just run duendecat.command or via command line with --lang-first.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.