Ringo, a WaniKani Companion for OS X

Ringo

Ringo is a WaniKani companion for your Mac with the following features:

• Notification of when new reviews are lessons are available using the OS X Notification Center with support for custom sounds
  • A dedicated study window that allows you to review and learn new lessons without a web browser
  • A quick view of how long it’ll be until the next review along with how many items are coming up
  • A quick profile summary, showing your level and current progress in kanji and radicals
  • Study window has a distraction-eliminating fullscreen mode to aid focus

Latest News
April 3, 2014 — Version 0.8.0 is available, adding the option to use your web browser instead of the study window, updating several dependencies, tweaking the full screen exit button, adding missing menu items to the “connecting failed” menu, and fixing connection errors by using HTTPS as outlined in the API guidelines. The internal updater may not work for updating to this version so, please download a new copy at http://www.ringomac.com/.

Download

Ringo requires OS X 10.8 or later and can be downloaded from the link below.
http://www.ringomac.com/

AWESOME! I just installed it. This is so useful :smiley:

Looks nice~

Can this be used on firefox?

Syprus said... Can this be used on firefox?
 No, it's for the OS itself, not a browser.

Syprus said…
Can this be used on firefox?

No. Internet browser does not equal operating system…

Mankle said...
 No. Internet browser does not equal operating system...
sugoida said...
 No, it's for the OS itself, not a browser.
I apologize for my noobness
詫びる    (わびる)    to apologize

Great, now I need that for my Bootcamp partition u_u

Will try it out! I’ve got some room in my menu bar…
Thanks for the fruit :slight_smile:

すげい!これはかっこいいのアプリ。本当にありがとうございました。

jwells89 said...  ![](upload://9Ph6w2OwfEZdHR8ZwuY9bWPLQWd.png) ![](upload://5TUbXVLyCM3vQrvfsXHQDRzBU9M.png)

Today I'm releasing the first build of Ringo, a little menubar app for OS X that helps you stay on top of your WaniKani lessons and reviews. It's still considered a beta, so there may be a rough edge or two. I'd love to hear your opinions! I only recently started using WaniKani myself, so if there's anything I've missed please let me know.

Ringo requires OS X 10.8 and can be downloaded at http://jwells89.byethost5.com/. A better address is coming soon, I promise!

EDIT: Version 0.5.1 has now been pushed, which fixes a couple of issues. You can update by selecting Check for Updates… in Ringo's menu.
 any thought of putting it in the app store?
jakobd said...Great, now I need that for my Bootcamp partition u_u
 Hmm, maybe I should learn C# and .NET to make a Windows version…

ecancil said... any thought of putting it in the app store?
 I'd like to, but doing so takes a $99 developer membership and cash is pretty tight at the moment.

Wow not only is this useful but it very well designed, just enough info without being obtrusive. 

Ringo now has an icon of its own! No more generic application icon.

jwells,

Great application. I was using b06, and it was (at idle) using 2% of my CPU. I am happy to report that b07 is sitting at 0% CPU usage at idle.

Thank you!

This is a great application.  Good work!  Definitely saves me from switching back and forth a bunch of times to a window I have my dashboard open in just to see when the next review is.

Mankle said...
 No. Internet browser does not equal operating system...
I can't be an OS they said...
I'm just a browser they said...

Great to hear that everybody likes it!

I actually have a very early-stage version of Ringo for Chrome, but I really hate the idea of tying anything to a specific browser so work on it has halted for the time being. I am, however, working on a Python+Qt version of Ringo that runs on Windows and Linux. There are a couple of hurdles to get past on those platforms compared to OS X so it probably won’t see the light of day for anywhere between a week and a month from now.

I’ll keep both the original version and Windows+Linux version updated but the original is likely going to get more love simply because it’s the one I use.

This is fantastic. Thank you SO much. I am a Windows user with a Macbook pro which I use Safari on instead of Chrome, so this is very, very useful. 

Unlikely, I’m sure, but I was just wondering if there’s any chance this will ever become backwards compatible?  
Regrettably my machine was JUST cut off from Mountain Lion, and with this requiring 10.8+, I’m pretty much out of luck with 10.7.5!  Either way it looks fantastic - I’ll add it to my piling list of reasons to upgrade my hardware. (笑)