[Request] On'yomi Puzzle Maker

I’m wondering if there’s a way to build a site (or a browser script) that will randomly generate 4 Kanji that share a common On’yomi and then display them in a 十字パズル  as shown below.

I’m thinking that you could enter your API in order for the script to know how many Kanji it can choose from. Any help would be realy appreciated!

Can you explain what this is? I googled around and only found puzzles with kanji I don’t know, so I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to be doing with this.

My guess, because I can’t figure out what the common On’yomi is is to find out what the common on’yomi is.  That all 4 of them share… Correct?

However, even of the two I know 行 and 安, I don’t know what the reading they share is. I don’t think it was a reading taught by WK.

MajesticPanda said... Can you explain what this is?
Sure. There are 4 Kanji (in the outer boxes) that all have the same On'yomi reading. You type the answer in the middle box.

The other puzzles you might find online will be harder because they involve 2-Kanji compounds or じゅくご. This way is easier for us, since we are learning the language in a different way than the Japanese kids that usually try these puzzles.
AnimeCanuck said... My guess, because I can't figure out what the common On'yomi is is to find out what the common on'yomi is.  That all 4 of them share... Correct?

However, even of the two I know 行 and 安, I don't know what the reading they share is. I don't think it was a reading taught by WK.
You're absolutely correct. Sorry, the answer for this one is アン. (安心・記・内・脚)

I use this to teach my students English, so I start out with a Japanese example first. I had to make a challenging one for the Japanese teachers and students at my school so it uses a rare reading for 行.

This sounds really fun, and difficult.  ೭੧(❛▿❛✿)੭೨

These look fun, and seem quite useful too :slight_smile:

This doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to do.  The hardest part IMO would be gathering the data for the readings in a database.  After that it would be simple.

select random item
select a reading from its list
find all that share the same meaning and pick 3 at random
if found
supply to webpage
else
repeat

or

You could store the readings and how often they come up in (“hits”) a separate table.
Pick a reading from that table that has 4 or more “hits”
Pick 4 from the item table
Supply to webpage.

Edit:

I did a query for kanji only from WK and here were the results

http://pastebin.com/raw/3HjSkRv0

xMunch said... This doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do.  The hardest part IMO would be gathering the data for the readings in a database.  After that it would be simple.

select random item
select a reading from its list
find all that share the same meaning and pick 3 at random
if found
supply to webpage
else
repeat

or

You could store the readings and how often they come up in ("hits") a separate table.
Pick a reading from that table that has 4 or more "hits"
Pick 4 from the item table
Supply to webpage.

That sounds perfect, thanks so much!

I like the 2nd option. I think the first step would be to use the person's API to narrow down the available Kanji. Then it could go from there.