[Request Granted as Userscript] Auto-show context sentence when answered right

Wouldn’t it be nice if I can see the context sentence on how the word is used? I am certain I can read the sentence in the blink of double-enter of answering correctly. Auto-play the audio of context sentence would be an alternative.

I haven’t seen the auto-show info when answered right yet. For Anki, it is easily done, though.

I know there is one for Wrong answer here: WaniKani Review Wrong Info Click, but even if the Info is shown… I have to click Show More, to show the context sentence; so it is 2-step. Also, I still have to scroll to the very bottom of the page. Not very supporting of using the word in real life, is it? And, the English meaning doesn’t tell everything.

1 Like

I agree. In fact, I would even like to be able to see the sentence in the question, instead of just the vocab word. Context is how words are naturally learned.

So, I do this on Anki instead (for en–>jp, so that it won’t interfere directly with WaniKani’s SRS.) Plus, I know how to add a link in Anki.

I am getting to like the GOO dictionary for 和英〜英和 and 類語 section; better the Jisho.org. The 国語 is a little too hard for me at this point.
For example, 
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/je/3925/meaning/m0u/一等/
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/14789/meaning/m0u/一等/
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/15794/meaning/m0u/一等/
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/je/43918/meaning/m0u/損なう/

I think 和英〜英和 isn’t really that hard to read, even for beginners.

patarapolw said... So, I do this on Anki instead (for en-->jp, so that it won't interfere directly with WaniKani's SRS.) Plus, I know how to add a link in Anki.

I am getting to like the GOO dictionary for 和英〜英和 and 類語 section; better the Jisho.org. The 国語 is a little too 

I think 和英〜英和 isn't really that hard to read, even for beginners.
 it's mean it's time for you graduate from en-jp dictionary☆ time to move on to J-JDict〜♪

you should use free スーパー大辞林 built in your OSX〜 they powerful too and easy to navigate rather than online sources〜

sometimes im cheat  in this way〜 while im forget english translation which is WK wants、just open this app〜 read definition and suddenly it triggered the english translation which WK wants〜

スーパー大辞林 is hidden gem in OSX〜 it would cost 3000-4800円 in Google Play/AppStore in form of mobile apps〜

Try this
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26868-wk-context-sentences

Look very good, but the main problem is purple column is too wide.

BTW, my screen is a little small, 1366x768, so something might fall off the screen.

Also, there is a little bug here.

Also, it would be nice if the list here could be updated: The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

Many of the user scripts aren’t included in here, including Item Marker and Add Context Sentence.

It would be nice if I could create a Userscript and Userstyle myself, but I know very little about JavaScript, and know nothing about JSON.

1 Like
nelemnaru said... Try this
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26868-wk-context-sentences

Bug: Last sentence shows when current lesson does not have context sentence

Example, vocab sentence comes up. everything is fine, the context sentence comes up. but the next lesson is either a kanji or radical, the old context sentence still shows even if it has nothing to do with current item.

simple fix is to hide when no context is found.

Bug should be fixed now. I’ll test it myself once some of my kanji reviews are ready

patarapolw said... Look very good, but the main problem is purple column is too wide.

BTW, my screen is a little small, 1366x768, so something might fall off the screen.
I'm a little confused, since the sentence will go to another line if it's longer than the screen width. Do you mean that when long sentences take up multiple lines, something might fall off the bottom of the screen, even though there's plenty of empty vertical space in the purple area?
nelemnaru said...
patarapolw said... Look very good, but the main problem is purple column is too wide.

I'm a little confused, since the sentence will go to another line if it's longer than the screen width. Do you mean that when long sentences take up multiple lines, something might fall off the bottom of the screen, even though there's plenty of empty vertical space in the purple area?
The last button "Mark" shouldn't be hidden behind "Ignore Answer", and "keyboard shortcuts".

Also, cosmetically, it would be nice to reduce the empty vertical purple space, so that the typing space is in 3/4 vertical of the screen.

The Kanjis and Radicals now have no context sentence.
patarapolw said... The last button "Mark" shouldn't be hidden behind "Ignore Answer", and "keyboard shortcuts".
Also, cosmetically, it would be nice to reduce the empty vertical purple space, so that the typing space is in 3/4 vertical of the screen.
Gotcha. I've been trying for hours now to reposition the sentence location, and also reducing the empty space, but I haven't managed to be successful without messing up WaniKani's layout. As an alternate suggestion, you could zoom out one or two times, which is how I cope with my small screen.
nelemnaru said...
patarapolw said... The last button "Mark" shouldn't be hidden behind "Ignore Answer", and "keyboard shortcuts".
Gotcha. I've been trying for hours now to reposition the sentence location, and also reducing the empty space, but I haven't managed to be successful without messing up WaniKani's layout. As an alternate suggestion, you could zoom out one or two times, which is how I cope with my small screen.
have you tried adding a custom id or class to the container of your context sentences so you would only affect the styling of that particular container? 
Mempo said...have you tried adding a custom id or class to the container of your context sentences so you would only affect the styling of that particular container? 
Yes. I've tried absolute positioning the sentence container in the purple area,  but if the sentences are really long, they end up covering the review word. I've also tried reducing the purple area, but it ends up enlarging the pink area for kanji.
nelemnaru said...
 Such a simple solution, but it does work, though I would prefer the fonts to be a little bigger...

It also helps with the detail screen.

But, it isn’t convenient to keep zooming in when I go to review page, and zooming back out when I came back to the main page.

patarapolw said... Such a simple solution, but it does work, though I would prefer the fonts to be a little bigger...
But, it isn't convenient to keep zooming in when I go to review page, and zooming back out when I came back to the main page.
I've updated the script to allowing adjusting the font size in the brightly-colored question area. You can edit the script yourself to change the scaling factor, which is set at .75

If you want the font resizing to affect the entire page including the detail screen, you can change line 16 to:
$("body").css("font-size", rescale + "em");
nelemnaru said...
patarapolw said... Such a simple solution, but it does work, though I would prefer the fonts to be a little bigger...
But, it isn't convenient to keep zooming in when I go to review page, and zooming back out when I came back to the main page.
I've updated the script to allowing adjusting the font size in the brightly-colored question area. You can edit the script yourself to change the scaling factor, which is set at .75

If you want the font resizing to affect the entire page including the detail screen, you can change line 16 to:
$("body").css("font-size", rescale + "em");
 Thanks. I thought it might be too much to ask. The font is not too small either.

Compared with the old one.

There is no problem even if there are 3 lines of sentences. Cosmetic problem is particular important, considering I am gonna be using it for years, seeing it for hours.

I truly appreciate your effort for creating the script.

Another Userscript I wanna appreciate is this one: WaniKani Part-of-Speech

Very clean and very powerful.

I see that you update the script, but how do you hide the English context sentence?

(BTW, I edited the script to hide with the ‘//’ )

I don’t understand what you mean. I haven’t updated the script since my last comment a week ago. See https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/26868-wanikani-context-sentences-in-reviews/versions
I assume you commented something out with ‘//’ and now the English sentence is showing all the time?

The English sentence is hidden by default.  You can show it by clicking on the Japanese context sentence when WaniKani is asking for the vocab meaning. Clicking again will hide it. If you never want the English sentence to show, you can comment out line 51 like this:

//      $(“#sente”).html(english);

nelemnaru said...The English sentence is hidden by default.  You can show it by clicking on the Japanese context sentence when WaniKani is asking for the vocab meaning. Clicking again will hide it. If you never want the English sentence to show, you can comment out line 51 like this:
// $("#sente").html(english);  
Maybe my mouse pointer is on the context sentence just at that time (yesterday).

If I need it, I can find the English translation at the very bottom of the Info page, anyway.

The above is basically what I did. Thanks for giving a simple answer.