Released: WaniKani Review Notifier

The existing set of review notifiers were old/outdated and too noisy. I wrote my own that just creates a small icon in the right of the URL bar in Chrome. Since I use Chrome all the time, the icon’s presence is a visible yet relatively quiet and unobtrusive way of telling me I have a review. I’ve been using it for several months but I finally decided to package it up and put it on the Chrome Web Store. Feel free to give it a download and leave your comments! If you like it, positive reviews are appreciated :slight_smile:

Install it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-review-notifier/mfjkklapcdiemkobilehlmpkghchjkjp

I also made it open-source. Pull requests are welcome!
https://github.com/Keavon/WaniKani-Notifier

3 Likes

Ooo~ Nice :slight_smile: Installing now and will definitely be giving a try! Thanks!

Just what I was looking for! Downloading now, thanks!

ありがとうございました~!

Thanks mate, but it would be nice if you can make a firefox extension as well.

Just wanted to pass on my thanks - great work :slight_smile:

hdloader11 said... Thanks mate, but it would be nice if you can make a firefox extension as well.
 I don't use Firefox anymore (it became too clunky) so I don't have the time to spend making an add-on for it, but if you or someone else wants to take my code and port it, feel free! I imagine most of the code would work in both browsers, just the browser-specific functionality would need to be changed.
Keavon said...
hdloader11 said... Thanks mate, but it would be nice if you can make a firefox extension as well.
 I don't use Firefox anymore (it became too clunky) so I don't have the time to spend making an add-on for it, but if you or someone else wants to take my code and port it, feel free! I imagine most of the code would work in both browsers, just the browser-specific functionality would need to be changed.
 I have no experience whatsoever with coding, so I'll just wait for a kind soul to port it to firefox. Thanks anyway mate.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Seems cool so far :slight_smile: Maybe in the future add a little number on the icon which shows how many reviews you’ve got waiting? or the ability to not show the icon until a minimum amount of reviews have accumulated? I just say this because I usually like doing reviews in little clumps of 10 or more. Also just knowing how many reviews are knocking is just nice in general :slight_smile:

I’ve never coded specifically for web purposes but I may give this a try sometime.

SanguineScale said... Seems cool so far :) Maybe in the future add a little number on the icon which shows how many reviews you've got waiting? or the ability to not show the icon until a minimum amount of reviews have accumulated? I just say this because I usually like doing reviews in little clumps of 10 or more. Also just knowing how many reviews are knocking is just nice in general :)

I've never coded specifically for web purposes but I may give this a try sometime.
 I think knowing how many would make you more likely to procrastinate it. The way I designed this extension was to show the icon and as soon as I see it, I just click it, do the reviews, and be done until it appears again. But I do like the idea of showing it only after a minimum has appeared. I may add that.

Very nice! Installed and intend to keep. :slight_smile:

SanguineScale said... Seems cool so far :) Maybe in the future add a little number on the icon which shows how many reviews you've got waiting? or the ability to not show the icon until a minimum amount of reviews have accumulated? I just say this because I usually like doing reviews in little clumps of 10 or more. Also just knowing how many reviews are knocking is just nice in general :)

I've never coded specifically for web purposes but I may give this a try sometime.
 To celebrate the release of WaniKani from beta I decided to revisit this; I just released an update that lets you set the minimum number of reviews before the icon appears.

This is one of my favorite API plugins. So simple but so effective.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Thank you so much for your hard work, it’s such a neat little extension that makes such a difference! :smiley:

Chrome 48 removed the ability to put icons in the omnibox which means the icon now must be persistent and it will turn from grey to red when you have reviews.

Downloaded the extension - thanks! :) 

Thanks for the addon. Would it be possible to also add another color if there are new Lessons available while all Reviews are done?

I’ll see if I can find some time over spring break next week to add this. No promises though!

Thanks for looking into this :slight_smile: Really nicely done :slight_smile: