Raspberry Pi + LCD screen + WaniKani Study Queue

Despite their scarcity, I’ve been lucky to have been able to receive quite a few Raspberry Pi computers last year (if you don’t know what they are, this page explains what they are). I had a spare one not doing much at home. While I was cleaning up the house I found a cheap LCD screen I bought a while back, so I tried to get it hooked to the Pi.

Since the screen worked very well on the Pi, the ol’ idea bulb started flashing in my head. Why not use it to transmit some useful information, like from my WaniKani study queue? So that’s what I did. I figured I would share it with you guys here in case anyone was curious as to how I made it happen.

Code: https://gist.github.com/4470296

“Finished” Product (I plan to put this in a more permanent place instead of wiring all over the freakin’ place):

I can see it now, my review stats on a huge LED in my kitchen lol :p. That’s pretty cool! :slight_smile:

Oh my God!

The first useful thing I’ve seen done with a Raspberry Pi (Not that I’ve seen much done though). It’s so ugly yet… so beautiful.

This is really, really cool. I’ve been thinking about getting myself a Rasberry Pi, and if I do, I’ll definitely try this out :smiley:

Could this be done with an Arduino?

Thinkin the same thing as Ninkendo…

I have a Pi, and this is, like Hatsu, the first useful thing I’ve seen. Off to Akihabara for components!

Darn me, I found some old lcd screens, but fuck if I found any driver boards for them :expressionless:

This can definitely be done with an Arduino, using the same LCD screens as well. I just received an Arduino Yun a week ago, I might tinker around with this a bit to get it working there. I’ll post an update if I get it working.

Definitely do. I’ve been looking for a good Arduino project that’d actually produce something I’d consider genuinely useful, and this has really piqued my interest.

This is a fantastic way to combine my love of computing and Japanese learning! :heart_eyes: