Possible to filter "Recent community chat topics"?

Hey scripters,

I was wondering if anyone thinks it’s possible to sort the dashboard forum overview panel. I like the information about Japanese language learning, Wanikani and API tricks, but find that the campfire to be distracting. Due to it’s activity campfire topics are often and frequently updated and I have to visit the sub-forums to see what’s new and interesting over there. Therefore the “overview” about the recent topics is often useless for me.

I don’t want to say that campfire should be invisible for everyone, I would just prefer to concentrate on the Japanese learning. I don’t mean to offend the “off-topic” crowd and their love for anime, manga, culture, etc. and  out there, I am just searching for an option to remove the things that don’t interest me from the site to focus on language learning.

Do you think it’s feasible? I don’t have any experience with the ways of good Tampermonkey scripts, so the whole idea might be impossible.

2 Likes

Well, doesn’t look like the API can return a list of recent forum topics, but maybe you could figure out how to load the most recent entries from each of the individual non-campfire pages, put the topics into an array and sort by most recent posting date. I’ll bet it’s possible for someone who’s clever with JS. Or you could just be grumpy with me about it. Just periodically poke your head in and yell, “Hey! I don’t hear a lot of Japanese study going on in here!”

1 Like

We could also try to find someone who is grumpy and knows about JS to help us out :smiley:

Well, I may not be grumpy, but I was looking for something to code, so I wrote a prototype of a userscript that does this.

You can find it here.  Once installed, edit the portion at the top of the script to hide activity from whatever boards you feel like.  

Let me know what you think (and if it even works…  I tested in Chrome and things seem fine, but well… Programming, you know?).

As an additional note, the list will behave slightly differently than the default one because the script doesn’t take into account how post edits bump threads.  This information isn’t represented on the home page for each board, so I don’t know how to get it.

2 Likes

Oh wow, yeah it’s working pretty well on my end, also on chrome. Thanks for doing this!

^ No problem!  Glad to hear it’s working, too.

Also, I forgot to mention this in my original post but, this script will interfere a little with the forum enhancer extension, for anyone who happens to be using that.  On the dashboard, you won’t get the fancy coloured titles or direct links to your most recently read post.  It should be more of a slight inconvenience than anything, but I’m just letting anyone who cares know.

BreadstickNinja said... Or you could just be grumpy with me about it. Just periodically poke your head in and yell, "Hey! I don't hear a lot of Japanese study going on in here!"
 Lol. I get a strong desire to do that whenever topics about English tv shows show up on the front page.

The script works for me too! Thanks a lot!
Reckard said...
BreadstickNinja said... Or you could just be grumpy with me about it. Just periodically poke your head in and yell, "Hey! I don't hear a lot of Japanese study going on in here!"
 Lol. I get a strong desire to do that whenever topics about English tv shows show up on the front page.
 Well, there's just two more episodes before the Doctor Who thread will disappear (;^ω^)
GangsterOfBoats said... Well, I may not be grumpy, but I was looking for something to code, so I wrote a prototype of a userscript that does this.

You can find it here.  Once installed, edit the portion at the top of the script to hide activity from whatever boards you feel like.  
 Thank you GangsterOfBoats. The recent topics where only campfire so it was easy to test. Now it looks more like language learning again :) Chrome and Windows 7 here, if that information ever matters.

YAY! Now I don’t have to see “POLLing all POLLigators let’s POLL POLL POLL!!!” all the time. (Grumpy and proud)

7 Likes

Paging Doctor @Borx, paging Doctor @Borx

1 Like

Huh? Oh.

Stupid poll thread(s)!

3 Likes

I don’t think this works anymore, this was built before the forums were moved to Discourse. Or did it still work for you?

But I like the idea and made a little hacky version to do the same for the new forums: WaniKani Recent Topics Filter (for Discourse)

It does nothing but hide Campfire topics.

(I’m sorry, poll people!)

4 Likes

No, it wasn’t working… thanks for the new version!

• ありがとう
  • ありがとうございます
  • どうもありがとうございます

0 voters

2 Likes

Now this one doesn’t seem to work anymore… :cry:

1 Like

Maybe you’d like to know how I use the forums? I never look at the dashboard’s forum section, nor do I look at the forum homepage. Instead I’ve set all interesting (sub-)categories to “Watching” and read the forum just through the notifications I get. This way I don’t come across any Campfire threads but still see everything that’s going on in the rest of the forum world. No scripts involved :grinning:

1 Like

I’ll do you one better, you can set Campfire to Muted and it won’t show up anymore. :smiley:

With the bell next to new topic.

1 Like

You mean, won’t show up in the dashboard list? That’s neat, didn’t know about that. :+1:

1 Like

It’s gone forever! :grinning:

I don’t know what you mean by dashboard list. :sweat_smile:

I use the latest page.

1 Like

At the bottom of the WK page (not the forums) there is a list of forum posts:

That’s what OP was referring to, I think.

But I guess the setting will work everywhere.