Kanji no Shukudai (漢字の宿題)- The stroke order generator for WaniKani criticals!

Hello crabigators!

For me, practicing writing kanji alongside my WK reviews is the best way to make the characters stick. However I found constantly looking up stroke orders on sites like jisho.org a bit cumbersome.

So I made this little app to take a list of kanji and use the awesome data from the KanjiSVG project to build printable (or print to PDF) stroke order lists. You can add any characters in the input field, or you can pull your critical condition items from WaniKani if you provide your API key.

Check it out here (updated url!):
http://kanji.genkigeek.com/

I hope it helps someone with their studies. :slight_smile: みなさん、頑張ってください!

For bug reports:
I may not read this thread quickly sometimes, but always respond to github issues very fast! Please report any issues at the code repository at:
https://github.com/tnbKristi/kanji_shukudai

Nifty.

When I click ‘Go’ it just brings me back to the same page with no change, though. It sets my API key in the cookies, but it doesn’t seem to be getting the proper response/ following through.

Hmm, sounds like it’s not finding anything (note to add an error message in there). Try adjusting the percentage? Also which browser are you using? This is a 3-day old project and only tested in Chrome at the moment (sorry!)

EDIT: I’ve added WK error handling support so if it fails it should be more informative as to why.

Works for me.

This looks like a great idea!
Manual entry works but when I put in an API key, I get an “API request failed” message for a split second before it disappears and goes back to empty.
I like the look of those stroke order diagrams - where are you pulling those from?

Yeah I get an API request failed too, same thing as duggulous. but the manual works fine

API request also fails for me.

duggulous said... This looks like a great idea!
Manual entry works but when I put in an API key, I get an "API request failed" message for a split second before it disappears and goes back to empty.
I like the look of those stroke order diagrams - where are you pulling those from?
Thanks! I made the diagrams from scratch using Snap.js, an SVG javascript helper library. They were inspired by Jisho.org's format though, as they are nice and clean and print clearly. :)

Thanks everyone for the API failure info, I'll do what I can to understand why it works for some but not others. Noting your browsers would help a lot though, as I suspect it may be a CORS (cross-domain-ajax-request-whoosawhatsit) thing. 

EDIT: Confirmed that it's a firefox thing. The API fails and the button tries to refresh the page. Blergh. Thanks for the patience with such a young and buggy project. :)

I’m able to use it just fine on the latest version of Chrome on Windows 7.

EDIT: welp, ninja’d by the edit.

NordicRest said...EDIT: welp, ninja'd by the edit.
 *thumbsup* ;D

Firefox troubles fixed! Please enjoy and let me know if you run into any other troubles.

inkjetcanvas said... Firefox troubles fixed! Please enjoy and let me know if you run into any other troubles.
 Works now! Yippie. This is exactly what I needed.

Whoops. I lied:

syntax error kanji_9.json:1:16
TypeError: model is undefined
 app.js:806:21

Using firefox, API call. let me know if you need any more info. It goes to #worksheets and spins.

Ah, whoops! I’ll dig into that, thank you.

However, ALL of github just went down. 
D: Which is kind of insane …
(the site is hosted on github pages)

Github back up, and changes added to help prevent the error above. Thanks!

Sweet. I have one suggestion to make : allow users to filter Kanji based on SRS level. For instance, if I wanted to learn the writing of any kanji I have guru’d, or if I want to practice the writing of all my current apprentice kanji. Or, as some level 60s may find useful, to get all their burned kanji and quiz themselves on stroke order.

Dirak said... Sweet. I have one suggestion to make : allow users to filter Kanji based on SRS level. For instance, if I wanted to learn the writing of any kanji I have guru'd, or if I want to practice the writing of all my current apprentice kanji. Or, as some level 60s may find useful, to get all their burned kanji and quiz themselves on stroke order.
Great suggestion! I'll see what I can do. :) 

Clicking ‘create’ gives me this error: TypeError: App.data.user_settings is undefined

Dirak said... Clicking 'create' gives me this error: TypeError: App.data.user_settings is undefined

Apologies, was an oversight - it's now been fixed. 

Additionally, I have added the ability to choose a 'condensed' template format that fits a few more per page (3-4).

Amazing. I’ll generate a new list in a bit. Thanks for all the hard work!

I entered my API key and successfully generated my list, but when I click “Create,” rather than generate the worksheet(s), I’m presented with a blank page.  The header is still there, and "ワークシート” is highlighted, but there’s nothing on the page below.