Have You Reset? (Why? When?) + Poll

Have you reset your level? How come?
After resetting have you found it easier or harder to come past a certain part to continue past where you were before?
Did it kill your motivation?

I think we can use community data to compile a way to make sure people can get past that hurdle when they want to slow down and keep enjoying their studies. So go ahead and put your observations. And here’s a poll. (We haven’t had one in awhile.)

#At what level did you reset?

• 1-5
  • 6-10
  • 11-12
  • 13-14
  • 15-16
  • 17-20
  • 21-25
  • 26-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50
  • 51-60

0 voters

#GO DOWN TO NEXT POST FOR FURTHER POLL.

2 Likes

Weird segmentation.

I haven’t reset yet, but I wonder:
How do resets affect the graph over at rfindleys stats site?

Have you reset your level yet?

• Yes
  • No
  • Considering

0 voters

4 Likes

i also haven’t reset, i just powered through after my burn outs 笑

I haven’t reset yet… and hope not to have to !

Would be interesting to add an answer “haven’t reset” to the poll, no ? Because I think it would also be interesting to know how many people manage to get far in wanikani levels without resetting.

@marty Why?

1 Like

It’s perhaps a bit counter intuituve to ask the question “Have You Reset?” and not allowing any answers but varying degrees of “Yes”.

I also haven’t reset my account so far. Knock on wood.

EDIT: I also wonder about the segments 11-12 and 13-14. Are these notoriously difficult? I would propose having alternatives for 1-10, 11-20 and so on, since I dont think there is that big of a difference between resetting at level 12 or level 18.

1 Like

@alexbeldan Maybe you could add another poll in the OP asking whether you have reset? I agree that it would be interesting to see the answers on such a poll as well. Maybe answers could be [Yes, No, Considering it] or something similar

I believe that’s the interval with the highest concentration of drop outs

Might be true. But differently sized segments also makes the results hard to analyze. A potential overwhelming amount of votes for 11-20 would indicate more clearly that this is a segment where people tend to struggle.

I might be overly concerned and biased though. I just proofread a book about scientific surveys :smile:

2 Likes

Darn… Can’t edit.
@Kumirei

I knew you couldn’t edit the existing poll, but you can’t even add one?

Won’t let me…

Oh, right, that’s how it was. I should’ve known, since I had the same problem with the demographics thread

I closed for now.

I’ll add another with JUST intervals of 5 and “I have not reset” and “I’m thinking about it.”

Anything else?

I made one in my first post

1 Like

Fantastic. I’ll reopen mine.

I saw this as well. Curious.

Interesting that most of the people discussing here have lifetime accounts. Perhaps add that question too “If you reset, what type of account do you have?” monthly, yearly, lifetime.

1 Like

I reset because after 3 years of not studying I had forgotten too much. Since I have a lifetime account, it wasn’t worth the struggle for me to just power through the reviews. I don’t care about going fast, I’m just interested in relearning the material.

I just checked the site. I reset to level 5, and my level 4 has a duration of 1672 days. So it looks like it just takes the difference between when you started the previous level and the new level and uses that like normal. This makes sense, because it basically wipes out all of your information for higher levels so there’s no way to know whether your level was reset or you just hung out on a level for a really long time.

1 Like