ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 - chapter 8

On to chapter 8! What do you like the most about the Japanese verson of Harry Potter so far?

We’ll spend 2 weeks on chapter 8, December 7-20. After those two weeks we’ll have two weeks for Christmas break. You have 4 weeks now to catch up if needed! The home thread for this bookclub is here .

Who will read Harry Potter chapter 8 now?

• I’m reading along

• I’m still reading but I haven’t reached this part yet

• I’m not participating

0 voters

2 Likes

Shortest chapter (in English) - ほ。ほ。ほ。

2 Likes

Happily bumping along when suddenly Snape appears and delivers a class almost entirely made of Kanji and phrases I haven’t seen before and then calls everyone a spoon.

I think I might be learning to fear Snape about as much as Harry does :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Ah, I’ve played Spoons. I enjoy it much more than the finger or tongue variants, because everyone has a tongue, but not everyone can get a spoon, so it’s much easier to tell who’s out.

Be aware, however, that the Japanese name of the game does not mean “spoon”.

I’m still a page or two short of that scene. They’re currently at breakfast that morning.

2 Likes

Guess this Snape guy knows what he’s talking about, huh?

Also, why’s Snape using 我輩 instead of McGonagall? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well- he does have the Half Blood Prince’s copy of Jisho.

ed. decided to blur that, as it’s a bit of a spoiler; what’s the statue of limitations on these things…

3 Likes

Are there three different words for it in Japanese, too?

Kinda (Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary):

Although, Snape straight up uses アコナイト.

1 Like

Yeah, only アコナイト exists as a separate word in Jisho - monkshood and wolfsbane aren’t listed as separate entries, and nor are there any other names for it.

2 Likes

Finally caught up with you all and about to start reading chapter 8 now! :zap:

2 Likes

Just finished - that was a difficult chapter! :confounded:

I’ve been tracking my reading stats and generally I’ve been improving over time but this chapter went against that trend. That potions class was hard. Even if this is the shortest chapter of the book, I think we can all congratulate ourselves for making it through to the other side.

(Note about the graph - my copy of Harry Potter has quite large pages so for me, chapter 8 is “only” 6.5 pages long.)

4 Likes

Kudos to your charting game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, if you’d read the textbook before class started like Hermione did…

6 Likes