Annoying Website Issue

Sometimes when you get a reading wrong and you click to see the answer, it hangs. Then I have to furiously click multiple times to try again before the answer appears. Either that or you open a new browser and manually copy and paste the kanji to see the reading in the search. It’s extremely annoying when you have 200+ to get through and you have to deal with this issue. It happens way too often too.

5 Likes

That started happening to me too, but I managed to get it to work. You just have to wait a bit, about 15 sec, then retry. I don’t have to retry more than 3 times for it to work.

In my experience, mashing the click button doesn’t make it work faster.

I’ve been having this problem in the last few weeks too. At first I thought it was my crappy wifi, but I recently upgraded my router and have a much faster connection now, and it’s still happening.

it has for me. i’ve tried to slowly click 4-5 times. still didn’t happen. eventually mashing it worked.

Weeks? I feel like this has happened to me on and off for the entirety of my time using WaniKani (~6 months). And my internet speed is fine, so I doubt it’s that.

4 Likes

Same here. Happened on and off for the last 2 years.

4 Likes

This problem where the info section takes forever to load has been going on for years. I’m pretty sure it was a problem even when I joined WK back in 2014. Someone even made a script to load sections as they become available to reduce the problem somewhat.

ALL.
THE.
DAMN.
TIME.

Or a lot of the time, at least.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it has to do with time, so mashing or leaving it won’t make a difference, it just needs to load.

Does seem to help to click again if it is taking a while to load–if it’s been a long time and nothing’s happening, often if I click once more it loads right away. Barraging it with clicks has proved less effective, though.

You know, I may have seen this too. Sure, while it’s frequently happened to some extent since I started WK, it does feel like it’s gotten noticeably worse in the last day or so - both yesterday and today I had occasions when I had to wait almost a minute for the info to appear… :confused:
'course, it could just be bad luck on my end. More data needed…

I think I’ve only seen it hang and not open like one time in the time I’ve used WK.

I’ve had several pages hang on me in the past. I’m wondering if it’s some combination of high traffic and non-optimal indexing on whatever their back-end database is.

This happens too often that I just don’t wait anymore. If a word’s info takes too long to load, I just hit ESC (ignore script) and move on. It comes back and I get it wrong deliberately.

It probably has to do with congestion during peek hours in high traffic time zones.

Same here. Been using WaniKani nearly 2 years.
Server load???

1 Like

I write back-end code for web apps at work, so this is my take on it:

I just started WK a month ago, so I don’t have enough time to say for sure. Have you noticed the lag times getting more frequent over time (more common now than when you started)? If so, that could suggest the server/s are getting more requests than they can handle, and are queuing or dropping requests to cope. If they’ve been more or less consistent, I couldn’t say without knowing more about the back end code and database. Maybe indexing issues or conflitcing database reads?

Same here happens all the time and has continued to happen for the 2 years I’ve been around, although it hasn’t gotten worse or more often.

I think I remember long ago Viet saying this was a WK server issue. Although maybe I dreamt that.

This problem is worst on my android phone. I don’t bother seeking the correct answer on android any more.

When it happens on my MBP, I either go to jisho and look up the word or I switch on “Safari kai” and hover my mouse over the kanji to get the correct reading.

The problem has recurred more frequently in recent months. I didn’t notice it in the earlier levels (1-10).

I’ve also had a few review sessions just die, saying it couldn’t connect to the server. That has been a more recent phenomenon, but I wonder if it’s related.