Anki - WK style (Sort of)

So for the past week or so I’ve wanted to have a similar method to WK when I don’t have my reviews up and I thought about making my own program to do so. Well, I’m no programmer. Tosses idea out the window. Yesterday I started playing around with Anki and I figured out how to do just what I was looking for. A WK away from WK. Normally, Anki shows you a card, you will say “oh hey I know what that is”, flip the card over, get the meaning half way correct and say “meh, close enough”. Well, this method has you to input your answer. Can you still get by without putting an answer it? Yeah, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Of course, this is nothing earth shattering and most of you will probably know this already, but being that I’ve downloaded quite a few decks and they’re all the OG flash card method, I figured I’d throw it up here.

And here is what I’m talking about. This deck was pulled from lesson 3, since that’s the highest I can pull from atm. If any higher levels want to send me their exported anki decks I can modify them for everyone to use.

As you can see, there’s now a text box for you to put your answer in. Neato!

If you put the wrong answer in, this is what you get.

But if you put the right answer in…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as for my other deck which is going to be focused mostly on basic grammar.  As I learn more about grammar, I’ll make more advanced decks or maybe I’ll grab some sentences from みんなの日本語 or Genki. Who knows. At the moment, this is it.

I’m not the only one who struggles with grammar so with these decks you will have to figure out which particle goes where. I’m trying to keep all the sentences at a minimum of two particles as that’s what you’re likely to see in real life (or more).

What you see is a sentence and some underscores _. Generally, every underscore is a representation of a particle, but I figured it’d be easier to do an underscore rather than a blank between sentences to show that something is supposed to go there. NOTE If an underscore shows up at the end of a sentence (followed by a period) then nothing goes there. I’m still modifying this to make everything look pretty so I would like all feedback and suggestions.

Again, if you don’t know, you’ll be greeted with a nice red box. The only difference is that you won’t have to worry about your score :smiley:

And if you get it right then!

^NOTE Make sure you are putting the particles in KANA! I don’t think I should have to say that but just in case some of you want to be hard headed…

Then this is what you get

These decks are no where near completed and Breadstickninja has been my guinea pig for these, so a big thanks to him. Right now I’m posting these for suggestions, comments, criticism, feedback, you name it. I want it. If there any mistakes in the sentences, please let me know or if you have a better way to structure the sentences such as 私 の blah blah instead of 私_ then let me know that as well. And one last time, if any higher levels would be so kind as to export their WK lesson decks to me, I can modify them and make these available for everyone. By Saturday I will have an update for both of these decks so in the meantime you’re more than welcome to try them out to see what you like and what you don’t like.

WK to Anki Lesson 3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/md4c727kpp3xoyx/WK%203.apkg
Grammar Sentences - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu9znkhd9ydg1up/Grammar%20Test%20.apkg

Since the links are in my dropbox they’ll just be consistently updated so the link should never change. In the event that they do, just let me know and I’ll fix it.

That looks pretty neat.  When I’m using Anki, I actually write down the answer on a piece of paper before I flip the card over, so there’s no take-backsies… if it doesn’t match exactly, I have to mash that “again” button.  It’s a low-tech way to do it, but it works for me.  XD

I made my own WK-like Anki theme. I did have it to type the answer, but I find it better not to think about it too much. I want to recognize the kanji or vocab faster instead of thinking about it too long and getting it right, but that’s just me.
Here’s what my kanji one looks like. I also have a different color for vocab and kana-only words.

I haven’t updated them in months, but I could give you the code for them.

Jyo said... I made my own WK-like Anki theme. I did have it to type the answer, but I find it better not to think about it too much. I want to recognize the kanji or vocab faster instead of thinking about it too long and getting it right, but that's just me.
Here's what my kanji one looks like. I also have a different color for vocab and kana-only words.

I haven't updated them in months, but I could give you the code for them.
 That's really cool looking. I haven't played around with it too much but I'd love to use your code, if you don't mind. I don't want people to just use the vocab deck as a whole (which I didn't explain), but I really want it to be used as extra drilling for those hard to sink in words. Maybe I can color code the grammar decks too, somehow.

Hopefully you can understand everything. I just decided to have the #Kanji field for kanji, vocab, everything, just because I have separate decks for each, and then I have each deck inside another deck. I’m not a pro at coding either. I put the other colors at the bottom. I use the same pink and purple that’s on WK.

http://pastebin.com/R1sacjFP

EDIT: I used to have 2 cards for each one: meaning and reading, but I just combined both. I kept the code in there in case I wanted to use it again though (question and question2), in case you were wondering.

Awesome! Thanks, Jyo! I’ll make sure to put it to use when I polish these decks up and give you your credit. =)

I tried my hand at putting together a deck like this. Since then I’ve added recall and recognition cards as well.

/t/Supplement-with-Wanki/4567/1

Looks pretty neat! I’d love to download your polished decks soon! :3 Now to get to level 3 before that… XD

Sorry, haven’t really had much time to finish up the anki decks as I’ve been busy with work, certifications, and my own Japanese studies. Hopefully this weekend I can do a little more to it but atm I can’t really guarantee anything.