[Anki] Tutorials

I’ve made a handful of Anki tutorial or example videos now. So I thought it would make a post to deposit them in one place.

→  [Anki: How to Change Note Types]
→  [Anki: Using the Suspend Tool]
→  [Anki: Creating Card Types]
→  [Anki: Some Features]
→  [Anki: Testing my Genki Deck]
→  [Anki: Choosing Between Commonly Kana/Kanji]
→  [Anki: Basic Styling Walk-Thru]
→  [Anki: Activating and Styling the Input Box]

If you want to try out the decks you see in the videos you can follow the link below.

→ [Some Supplemental Material]

14 Likes

Any idea how to force sync any open Anki applications that currently haven’t logged out? Left it open at work and my remote desktop is not working for some reason. Now I cannot tackle them on my morning commute, nooooo…

Thank you for these, Hine! I think I messed up the SRS times on my core 6k deck (some cards are like 4 months but I think it’s only the second or first time I’ve seen them if I click good or easy! I think I saw 1.2years, once!!!) I definitely fiddled with the times when I first got the deck…

AnimeCanuck said... Thank you for these, Hine! I think I messed up the SRS times on my core 6k deck (some cards are like 4 months but I think it's only the second or first time I've seen them if I click good or easy! I think I saw 1.2years, once!!!) I definitely fiddled with the times when I first got the deck...
 Well, not knowing what you did with the settings I would recommend that you start with resetting the options to their original values. If you want to continue to use my settings it will look like the following.

I prefer these setting to best replicate the intervals that WaniKani has. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind with this. First I am using the steps in minutes to bypass the Anki algorithm. This will mean that the cards will always need to be either in the New Card stack or the Lapses stack. You know you are in one of these by the buttons for choosing if you get the answer correct or not. There should only be three buttons. If there are four buttons then you are in the Anki algorithm.

The next thing to keep in mind is that anytime you press Easy you immediately push the card into the Anki algorithm. So, if you want to follow the steps in minutes you should never press Easy. Again or Good only. 

For the cards that are already pushed out there are two options. First you can simply press Again and it will place the card into the Lapses pile and your next review for it will be 10080 minutes or 7 days. If that is still too far out your other option is to select the card in the browser and use the reschedule option to send the card to the end of the new card queue.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that once you graduate for the New Card stack it will automatically place you into the Anki algorithm. Again, you will know this when you see four buttons. Just press Again from that point and it will place the card into the Lapses stack and it’s business as usual.

This is how I use it. I hope you find it useful. 

2 Likes

Hine thanks for these videos! Where did you find that add-on to get audio from japanesepod101?

Since you are an Anki guru I was wondering if you have any ideas about another question I haven’t found an answer to:

I use notes with 3 card types, and the “bury” function only seems to bury one of the additional cards. So I’ll frequently get one recall card and then, for example, the recognition card from that same note on the same day’s reviews. 

Does bury only work with two-type notes or is there maybe a setting I’m missing somewhere? 

thanks again

hinekidori said... I prefer these setting to best replicate the intervals that WaniKani has. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind with this. First I am using the steps in minutes to bypass the Anki algorithm. This will mean that the cards will always need to be either in the New Card stack or the Lapses stack. You know you are in one of these by the buttons for choosing if you get the answer correct or not. There should only be three buttons. If there are four buttons then you are in the Anki algorithm.

The next thing to keep in mind is that anytime you press Easy you immediately push the card into the Anki algorithm. So, if you want to follow the steps in minutes you should never press Easy. Again or Good only. 

Ooooohhh!!! I think in the new deck(s), I did hit AGAIN for some of them, so it might’ve been that rather than the sync that messed things up royally for me. Thank you! Can I fix + reschedule ALL of them at once, or do I need to go through each card/deck individually? It would be nice if my core deck (I can’t recall if it was 1000 or 6000)  could also take on the WK attributes of your cool deck, if the thing I did did apply to all decks.

I will give this a try when I am more awake! ^^

1 Like
chrispthompson said... Hine thanks for these videos! Where did you find that add-on to get audio from japanesepod101?

Since you are an Anki guru I was wondering if you have any ideas about another question I haven't found an answer to:

I use notes with 3 card types, and the "bury" function only seems to bury one of the additional cards. So I'll frequently get one recall card and then, for example, the recognition card from that same note on the same day's reviews. 

Does bury only work with two-type notes or is there maybe a setting I'm missing somewhere? 

thanks again

I use the Download Audio addon. This allows me to quickly bring audio into my cards. It's not perfect, so not everything I need audio for can found with this addon. When that happens I go to Forvo, which is an extremely useful site for finding native audio clips of just about any language you can think of. And if you can't find the word you are looking for you can place a request and a native will pronounce it for you in due time. I highly recommend it.

The bury function should work with all types. This could just be a problem with how often you are doing your reviews. If you are using my settings it will keep cards in the New Card stack for up to four days if you are doing your reviews regularly. So at some point all the sibling cards will be in the stack together. If you were to take a day off from reviews you could possible see both cards the next time you review. This is an issue of using steps in minutes to bypass Anki's algorithm.
AnimeCanuck said...  Ooooohhh!!! I think in the new deck(s), I did hit AGAIN for some of them, so it might've been that rather than the sync that messed things up royally for me. Thank you! Can I fix + reschedule ALL of them at once, or do I need to go through each card/deck individually? It would be nice if my core deck (I can't recall if it was 1000 or 6000)  could also take on the WK attributes of your cool deck, if the thing I did did apply to all decks.

Yes, you can select however many you want and reschedule them all at once. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't know if you wanted to reset your whole deck and start from scratch.
hinekidori said...
AnimeCanuck said...  Ooooohhh!!! I think in the new deck(s), I did hit AGAIN for some of them, so it might've been that rather than the sync that messed things up royally for me. Thank you! Can I fix + reschedule ALL of them at once, or do I need to go through each card/deck individually? It would be nice if my core deck (I can't recall if it was 1000 or 6000)  could also take on the WK attributes of your cool deck, if the thing I did did apply to all decks.

Yes, you can select however many you want and reschedule them all at once. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't know if you wanted to reset your whole deck and start from scratch.
 I was thinking about it. It might be a good idea, especially if I can format the core 6000 (mostly in hirigana only?) deck I have to be like your WK ones.

Thank you very much for the "DON'T PRESS EASY" tip. I have been successfully and slowly resetting cards now that I have Anki synced on my new phone. Looks great on the phone, too. Soooo happy.

Thank you again for all your hard work, and eninny for the skin! :D (I think that's the one I grabbed?)

EDIT: Your tip is fixing my other deck (the kana 6k one that seems to be a rip from iKnow, it seemed to be the same sentences and order that I remembered from my free 2 months) too. :D You're THE best! :D

Is there a way to record streaks? Like 100 days’ streak or something. It would help with the consistency in learning and using Anki.

hinekidori said…

The only other thing to keep in mind is that once you graduate for the New Card stack it will automatically place you into the Anki algorithm. Again, you will know this when you see four buttons. Just press Again from that point and it will place the card into the Lapses stack and it’s business as usual.

This is how I use it. I hope you find it useful. 

About this, I also use ‘Reposition’, and change deck; and it is very powerful.

Hi, thank you for the tutorials and for your Genki deck. It is great.
But I got two questions.

1. Do I have to klick on again, good , easy myself and what happens if i just push enter?
  2. How can I change the input to katakana? I tried to type America but it was wrong because it was in hiragana.

This thread is over 2 years old and the last reply was over a year ago.
@CyrusS should this thread not have been archived?

@MikkaFelipe Katakana will activate on capitalization.

If you press Enter or 1 it will go forward as the “Good “ button. You can press 1 for “Again”

@sornvru I still answer the replies. So I don’t mind it being open.

Threads in this sub-forum don’t have an auto-close date like the rest do. We wanted to leave it open in case app creators came back after long breaks to update, etc.

4 Likes

@hinekidori Hi, may I ask which TTS engine you used, for example in your WK Example Sentences deck?
That TTS voice is amazing and I would like to use it in my decks as well. For now I’m using AnkiDroid with turned on TTS. So it automatically uses Google TTS for all my cards. No need for audio files. I really love it.

But your TTS sounds much better than the Google TTS and I think having a good TTS is a huge benefit for learning Japanese. So would you mind to give some details about how you created that WK Example Sentences deck? And do you know if there is any real TTS engine (which can be set up as primary TTS service) available for android, that is better than Google’s Japanese TTS?

Thanks a lot

To be honest I don’t remember. I’m not usually a fan of TTS. This was just the best compromise at the time. I do remember that what I was using had a selection of options of which I tried to choose what I thought sounded best.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

1 Like

So, if you happen to be an unscrupulous student like myself and want to study your Anki decks at work, but are hampered by a restrictive corporate firewall, the beta version of Anki allows you to skip SSL verification and not be blocked by said firewall (probably).

All you have to do is install the beta version of Anki and run the following commands. You can save this as a .bat file and run it (changing the location of Anki here if you installed it somewhere else).

set ANKI_NOVERIFYSSL=1
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Anki\anki.exe"
exit

I have the .bat file on my desktop, next to my kill-the-antivirus script, but it should work anywhere.

So in short if I input all the same settings/intervals as posted above if I ever see the Anki algorithm pop up (four buttons) then I just hit again.

Other than that I should hit again and good only. Just want to make sure I’m using this right because it’s all above my level of understanding.

After the first time I see a card and I select “good” does it “graduate” and I will then see it with four buttons? Or does it graduate after it reaches the 121 day interval (161280 min)

The way I have it set up you will see four buttons after the 4320 mark. This is in order to move it into the Lapses pile, which you can do by hitting Again. Once you hit the 161280 mark you will then just decide if you want to let the Anki algorithm take over for the card or suspend it if you feel you really know it.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes