9-nine- 9️⃣ (Visual Novel Book Club + offshoots)

I think the first one sounds fine. Never hurts to have all the information there. You could cut “Currently” and change the r in reading to capital and get it a bit shorter that way.

Although, maybe offshoot should appear earlier, like this?

9-nine- :nine: (Visual Novel Book Club, offshoot) // Reading 9-nine-そらいろそらうたそらのおと (Episode 2)

5 Likes

Yeah I like that better, thanks :slight_smile: .

9-nine- :nine: (Visual Novel Book Club, offshoot) // Soon reading 9-nine-そらいろそらうたそらのおと (Episode 2)

We can cut the “soon” later, since it hasn’t technically started yet. @Daisoujou お願いします :pray: .

5 Likes

Ack! I better add it to Bustafellows too! *zoooooms off*

4 Likes

@rikaiwisdom Are we good to go for tomorrow? I think I’m going to start on the reading today, but it’s very unlikely I’ll get far enough along to help with choosing a stopping point, sorry.

5 Likes

Yes we should be fine :slight_smile: . I started reading Episode 2 today and plan to go for most of the content and then finish early tomorrow. The thread should be up at some point of the day.

There’s no need to rush and catch up with me necessarily so read at your leisure ^^ .

5 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 1 thread is up!

I’ve included a section with scene transitions and character counts just in case anyone wants a break but would like to know how long is left until the next scene. It’s not perfect and it doesn’t contain every single scene change (because I thought sometimes there was no point dividing it if it transitioned back a few dialogues after), but it contains most, so hopefully it’s useful.

Also I’ve decided that unless there’s a very awkward cliffhanger or something, I will keep going forward until the established weekly character range just to keep things moving on schedule. There were a few “better” stopping points but they were below that range so I kept going until I found another fitting one. Hopefully this is fine but if it’s not do let me know :slight_smile: .

Also now we can finally change the title from “Soon reading” to “Reading”. Last time I bug you I swear @Daisoujou :joy: . Edit: nevermind! Thanks @MrGeneric <3 .

6 Likes

No problem. I was online and happened to catch it. Someday, I hope to actually catch up to the club. I’m just so bad about taking on too many projects at once and never stopping. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 2 thread is up c:

5 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 3 thread:

Still away, I posted the draft from phone, if there’s an issue I’ll fix it tomorrow along with the home thread update <3

5 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 4 thread:

I’ll need someone post something after this post to unlock it for the next 3 threads c: (max 3 posts in a row limitation thingy).

5 Likes

Good work. I’m back, but being lazy on reading right now. The hassle of jugging family + work + insurance nonsense makes me want to brain off + videogame in my free time.

Edit: I’ve hit 5k without issue each day so I don’t think the pace will be a problem at all.

6 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 5 thread:

5 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 6 thread:

I’m cutting this week short, I continued for a bit to try to find a better one but I reached the 25k mark and it gave me the impression it will go on for several thousand characters more so this will do.

Also sorry that I haven’t participated much in the weekly discussion these last couple of weeks, my mental energy is kind of in the low range atm, trying to recover a bit. But don’t worry about the club going on, that will still go as scheduled. The reading is no issue, it’s only the social interactions that I’ve had to limit temporarily :slight_smile: . Happens from time to time but should go back to normal soonish, hopefully. Brains are weird.

5 Likes

Okay question:

I have the thread for week 7 ready, the total character count is 27.3k. However, it’s looking a lot like there really isn’t much left until we hit the end of Episode 2, I’m just not sure how much exactly. It’s already a little over the character limit, but the next week might possibly be short, and at this point cutting this week here could potentially make it an uncomfortable spot because I think people would naturally want to continue reading and finish it. It’s not a massive cliffhanger either, it’s actually a nice endpoint but there is expectation and it could disrupt the flow a little, nothing else. Do you want me to continue reading and see how much we have left, and then if it’s not too too long include it in week 7? How long would be too long, >10k? The last week has the benefit of having as much time as it takes until we start Episode 3, but it also doesn’t make sense to suddenly have a 40k spike.

I won’t come back home until tonight and I would need some time (1, 2h?) to read it and remake the thread so in that case it might come a little bit later than usual, but I’ve made the draft for week 7 already so if we stop here I can post it while I’m away with no issue.

Edit: Another option if it’s too long, I can also leave week 7 as it is and post week 8 early, so that people who want to continue reading can do so straight away. Week 8 is for sure the end, there won’t be a week 9.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the last week being a bit longer than the previous weeks since we should have more than a week to finish it before we start the next game. I wouldn’t want it to be too much longer though. I think if its within 35k~ characters we’d be okay to have it all in one thread but if its hitting 40k+, I’d prefer to separate them and maybe post week 8 early like you said?

6 Likes

I dont mind longer endings in part because there’s usually something of a break afterwards anyway. Thats said, Id say extending past 50% is too much in general. Thinking back on those chapters in loopers that were like 2x the length… That really sucked at the time. As much as I liked the ease of chapter by chapter readings the consistency of effort with our target counts feels better imo.

That said, Im also 4 weeks behind so this week is mostly up the others.

5 Likes

This particular week is kind of busy for me so for that arbitrary personal reason I prefer not having it go overly long, but then again since we’re about to break for a bit it’s probably fine however. I don’t think I’d really mind you cutting where you’re talking about, but do whatever you think is good!

5 Likes

9-nine- Episode 2, Week 7 thread:

じゃあ、お言葉に甘えて :relieved: I can use the rest as well. Let’s do week 7 as intended, if you guys want to go jump on week 8 straight away I’ll post it early. Thank you all for the feedback!

6 Likes

On this subject, I didn’t realize how close we were to the end of episode 2! That’s cool. I suppose it’s about time we start thinking about when we’re going to start the next one? Personally, this time I have absolutely no need for any gap and would be happy to keep going as soon as possible. Since a lot of my Japanese reading tends to be bigger projects, trying to slot something into a gap is just going to leave me even more busy when we start, heh. It’ll also be nice to wrap this up when we can to help some people rejoin the main club if they’re interested next(?) time. But, of course, what works for you all is important. I’m curious how much a little break would help @ccookf catch back up, or if they’d rather not have the pressure of trying to get back on schedule right now.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a one week gap in between starting the next episode after we finish this one but if everyone wants to start the next one immediately, I’ll be okay with that too.

Looking at the next episode, its only a couple hundred characters longer so should take us about 8 weeks for that one too. Ep 4 is 230k characters and the “new episode” is only 66k characters long, so we’ll probably finish the series in about 20 weeks or so. Not too bad, we’ll be done before the year ends :grinning:
Although I did notice on steam, the 9-nine bundle doesn’t include the new episode, so not sure if everyone plans on buying that episode separately and reading it together? I think most people said they bought the bundle and not the games separately but I might be remembering wrong. We still have a few months until we get to ep 4 anyways so its not something we need to decide on now but thought I’d mention it.

6 Likes