9 Months of WaniKain in 2 Minutes and 43 seconds (A visualization)

I’ve been playing with this tool called Gource in work and I decided it would be cool to generate something showing my progress with it; I thought the result was pretty cool =).

Video Here: Youtube
Code Here: Github Gist

Edit: Here’s the tool for generating it easily including video conversion (you should save it as an MP4): http://peterkinnaird.eu/wanikanigource.zip 
Let me know of any bugs you find =)

Edit: Version of the video for people having trouble watching it: Youtube

4 Likes

That is very very cool, i have no idea how to use code so I think i’ll wait for the user friendly version, but yeah, very cool.

Video is not available in your country… T_T
Now I’m curious.

That was quite motivational watching how it all progressed and then begin to burn.

Roybie said... Video is not available in your country... T_T
Now I'm curious.
 Hmm, that's odd, I haven't set up any region settings. I'll have a look.

Edit: Youtube have blocked it in Japan for the music in the background, will reupload without Music T_T.
c0n5pir4cy said...
Now I'm curious.
Me too.  Even if I tunnel to the US or Britain an error occurs and I can't play it.  Would love to see it, though! 

Youtube start to suck, they blocked my own videos because of a 1:30 background music. I uploaded all my video on dailymotion yesterday and no problem.

Instead of having just 3 different entities (Radicals/Kanji/Vocab) it would have been cool to show also the relations between the related items. It was pretty cool to see them burning too ^^

charuri said... Instead of having just 3 different entities (Radicals/Kanji/Vocab) it would have been cool to show also the relations between the related items. It was pretty cool to see them burning too ^^
 Thanks,

That's not a bad idea actually ^_^, I'll see what I can get it to do.

Fred said... Youtube start to suck, they blocked my own videos because of a 1:30 background music. I uploaded all my video on dailymotion yesterday and no problem.
 Yeah, people frequently complain that their videos get blocked because of stupid reasons (radio in the background etc). This was my fault though, I did actually use a copyrighted song =P.
pushindawood said...
c0n5pir4cy said...
Now I'm curious.
Me too.  Even if I tunnel to the US or Britain an error occurs and I can't play it.  Would love to see it, though! 
 There is a copyright free version processing just now, should be ready shortly. =)

Edit: Non-blocked version's up.

Nifty.  It’s like a Kanji-destroying video game.

That’s awesome! How do I run the php code you posted? I tried running from the PHP command line and got an undefined function error. But I really want to see my progress!

Very cool. :slight_smile:

Cheers everyone, I’d like to see other peoples videos posted if you can get my hack running (or if you don’t mind waiting a little bit for an easier to use tool, I’ve started working on it). :slight_smile:

BreadstickNinja said…
That’s awesome! How do I run the php code you posted? I tried running from the PHP command line and got an undefined function error. But I really want to see my progress!

Whats the error you’re getting, is it curl_init is undefined? you might need to install php5-curl.

This was so mesmerizing!

That’s really cool!!! It would be sick having something like this as a screensaver, or having it running in the background whilst the mointors asleep. 

c0n5pir4cy said...
BreadstickNinja said... That's awesome! How do I run the php code you posted? I tried running from the PHP command line and got an undefined function error. But I really want to see my progress!
 Whats the error you're getting, is it curl_init is undefined? you might need to install php5-curl.
Edit: Okay, got curl working, saved the output to a text file, now trying to get it into gource. Is there any chance you could post your log file so that I know what format mine should be in? My output looks like this but I assume I need some kind of header or something. I'd love your help if you can suggest how to fix it up!

Cool!

Is the song by source?
Haven’t heard them in some time but it sounds like their voice

Cool video.

Holy crap, that’s one of the most motivational videos I’ve seen. It’s so simple, but watching the growth of your knowledge, the way each step builds on the last,  the result of just 9 months of consistent study…excellent!