(Back up) Floflo.moe - A WK-friendly website for reading

At what WK level would you suggest that people start using your site? I’m level six and have only the very basic sentence structure and grammar down, so I presume I’m probably not ready, but I’m looking forward to trying it out at some point.

I’m sorry to be so much trouble! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I feel like a true beta tester!

2 Likes

… so what you’re saying is you don’t want me complaining about the browser alerts? :slight_smile:

@smcamero Have you started reading at all yet? Reading is fun! People should read more.

2 Likes

You want to be coming into an N3 grammar level. So that’ll mean Genki I + II and/or having finished Tae Kim’s grammar guide. Your vocabulary doesn’t matter because the website will be able to fill it in. Your kanji will probably be good enough around level 20 if you’re reading the Aoi Tori Bunko books.

You’ve just alerted me of one of the most horrible bugs in my site’s history. I’m glad this isn’t going to be happening while I’m asleep

3 Likes

No, I haven’t. I just know so little that I think I would be pretty frustrated having to look up every word. This definitely would help with the vocabulary, but I think I probably need to know more grammar before trying to read anything.

Ah, I have a long way to go then! I will bookmark the site and hopefully be ready to check it out in a few months. Thank you for sharing your hard work!

5 Likes

Okay website disabled for a little bit. A bug is happening where it’ll add the ‘kanji’ value to the reading value, which is untypable with the built in ime (because it’s kanji). Working on in. If you’ve added any word in the last fifteen minutes or so, make sure when you log back on that there isn’t kanji in the reading field.

Okay bug fixed, the sites back online. We good. Until @hinekidori finds another thing, anyway. Read this if you added words between 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM PST.

1 Like

I’m out for dinner. You have time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This looks fantastic, but am nowhere near ready.

Vocab generally follows grammar.

When you’re ready to start building it, you’ll know and resources like this will be a big help.

3 Likes

There should be a revision made to the summary for Kino: “A traveler named Kino rides from country to country alongside trusty, talking bike, Heremes.”

Kino’s sex is intentionally kept undefined until a later point in the story.

2 Likes

My vocabulary is around 10-11k and so far there’s never been a time where I didn’t know more than like 2-3 words in a row. If enough people request it then I’ll add it.

IF there were a standard format it’d just be .txt files. I’m not sure if it’s something that I can automate though, given the languages that I know. I use various software besides stuff that I’ve written to get the lists going, and I doubt you can run them through the languages you use to run websites.

My plan is to have polls later on where people can vote a couple times a month to pick which book gets added next. It should be fun.

Oh, I always thought he was supposed to be seen as a dude until then, so I just called him a dude. I’ll change it.
Edit: done

You’re not wrong, but the writing (from what I’ve read thus far and recall from the original animated adaptation) went out of its way to avoid being specific.

Did you watch the remake? I was gonna finish it but felt like the original might actually be better. Not sure which I should do.

Nah, haven’t started watching it yet.

I usually wait for things to hit disc and then get around to actually pulling them off my shelf years later. I might give it priority after I finish the second or third LN, though, to see how well I understood them.

ermmm I wonder why I get this

It’s loading the default Wordpress page here, too, when I access it from a new (or private) browser.

But I see the right title on the page, so it’s at least partially configured. It’s been quite a while since I last deployed a Wordpress site, though, so I’m not sure what to suggest, except that maybe the default page got set to something else.

Specific pages like https://floflo.moe/kino-no-tabi/ load correctly.

Appears to be a caching issue. Doing a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) gets rid of the wordpress default thing.

Maybe the caching plugin is deployed over multiple hosts and some still haven’t updated since yesterday or something.

There’s probably a way to force cache-regeneration on the plugins page.