🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

May 22nd!

Another lesson today! Today was with a new teacher so that was fun. We did self introductions and then chatted about several topics including work, hobbies and favourite foods.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Summary Post

May 22nd
What did I listen to?: 日本語の森 goes to Tokyo Tower (thanks for linking @polv :bowing_woman:)
How much time did I spend listening?: ~8 min

This was so…understandable???
I could actually hear all the words, didn’t even need the subtitles that much :sob: Amazing
Also the sakura projection was magical, that’s so pretty :pleading_face: :sparkles:

10 Likes

I started watching a random movie from my backlog, ファーストラブ (despite the title, it’s a thriller, not a romance), and it’s very good but also rather difficult for me. I struggle with more formal speech and sentences like this:

私のほうも彼女から聞いた話で裁判に有利になりそうなことがあれば本人の承諾を得た上であなたに話すから

which I do fine with in books I cannot keep up in speech. My brain was like “something my side, something trial, something consent, I’ll tell you” :dizzy_face:
(it means like, “On my end, if she tells me anything that would be advantageous in the trial, I’ll let you know after obtaining her consent”)

But the atmosphere. The complicated relationships. The mysterious motive for murder. It’s apparently based on a book that won the Naoki prize which I kind of guessed just from the way it’s unfolding. I feel like movies based on books just have a certain vibe to them.

Anyways, here’s the trailer:

10 Likes

22/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

thanks to @windupbird, I ended up watching a video they tagged a few days back. this was the longest time I’ve spent on listening ever since I started this challenge lol

10 Likes

May 23, Tue of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [75/90] - 新しい文化と生活

Places and names

I will probably relisten to Parade 3 - 1-5 [1/4]. Having short chapters is a plus, so that I can (read and) summarize each chapter easier.

I’ve found a nice Japanese people’s travelling. Insta-subscribe.

10 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 53, 5 月 23 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese

Continuing the trend of seeing grammar points I learned recently everywhere I look. This time it was about giving and receiving verbs - fittingly found in a video about christmas presents.

10 Likes

23/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

one episode from Japanese with Shun

9 Likes

May 23rd!

Today I listened to 3 episodes of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate series.
There has been a story arc over the last few episodes, which is about an older couple sending each other postcards.
The language is kind of flowery, with lots of Keigo, but I’m pleased by how much I can follow along with the storyline.

(Home Post)

9 Likes
21 - 極主夫道 ep 7
22 - 極主夫道 ep 8

:hot_pepper: May 23

Put an hour and a half into Zero Escape: 999 today. Looping back from the beginning I focused on listening. Checking text periodically if I missed something.

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 5月22日 -23日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

5/22 - some more YUYUの日本語Podcast while at work + some music and an episode of gundam (w subs)
5/23 - rewatched that pickling lemons in sugar/honey video from a few weeks ago because I got some new mason jars and wanted to make sure I was doing it right

top is 砂糖, bottom is ハチミツ, we’ll find out in a week how this goes!

13 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 54, 5 月 24 日 :herb:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - 桜の一年
Sakura trees! A fun and relatively easy video, though I found a fun grammar point that I wanna look up.

It’s nice to have common nouns and verbs repeated in various contexts. Watching videos seems to help much more with that than reading many example sentences. I suppose because the work of visualizing the meaning of the example sentence is taken on by the video instead of the learner, freeing up some cognitive load.

10 Likes

May 24, Wed of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

Parade 3 - 1-5 [1/4]. Repeated while reading the text. Time-bookmarked in Audiobook.jp accordingly. Actually, I am visibly troubled this time.

8 Likes

24/05/2023 :fairy:t5: Home Post Link

nothing interesting again, just another episode from Japanese with Shun

9 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 5月24日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Today I finally got around to starting something that I was sort of hoping to be doing this whole challenge, and that is the 新完全マスターN3 Listening practice book. I knew getting into these would be hard, since I haven’t really done any test-practice type listening before, so kinda just kept kicking the can down the road. Probably only going to do one of these per day for now, since I need to re-listen and then listen with transcript and look up words and re-listen and all that :melting_face:

Listened:

• 新完全マスター 例題1 - the speaking is clear and slow enough, but I just legitimately didn’t know enough of the words to understand at first. Can’t say I’ve heard any vtubers talk a lot about revising manuscripts for presentations before :sweat_smile:
  • some mio minecraft: ~15 minutes
9 Likes

May 24th!

Today I watched Episode 3 of MASHLE (With English Subs), and also listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for beginners.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Summary Post

May 23rd
What did I listen to?: Yakiniku for one
How much time did I spend listening?: ~9 min

May 24th
What did I listen to?: Akane goes to Kamakura
How much time did I spend listening?: ~17 min

This one made me so happy, I’ve been to Kamakura twice so I recognized a lot of things and places :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I would go there again even though I’ve been twice lol, it’s just so pretty there~

9 Likes

I started watching 勝手にふるえてろ and it’s actually pretty hard! Lots of fast speech, talking about nonsense, references to tv shows, etc. The slow parts are easy but the fast parts I’m hanging on only due to the Japanese subs.

That said, it’s super fun. Here’s the trailer:

It’s currently on Viki for anyone wanting to check it out.

8 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 55, 5 月 25 日 :herb:

:hibiscus: Comprehensible Japanese - 紙を使ってする動作
Suuuper long episode today, I had to pause a lot. But it’s about stationary again! Well, paper, mostly. Really interesting, as it asked the viewer to participate as well (using the TPR technique). Very fun!

10 Likes

May 25, Thu of Week 9 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

歴史 [76-77/90] - 世界恐慌

Places and names

Parade 3 - 6-11 [2/4].

9 Likes

Summary Post

May 25th
What did I listen to?: Akane goes to Enoshima
How much time did I spend listening?: ~12 min

A logical follow-up to the Kamakura video! I have not been to Enoshima, but now I want to go there, it seems chill :relieved: Also THE KITTY 御朱印帳 AKJHLJFKHSKDHDKS I need it, I love 御朱印 and I love kitties :face_holding_back_tears:

9 Likes