🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2023 🌼 🌱

Late starter!
I want to go through the top songs on the music charts.

1.残響散歌 / Aimer(エメ)
~4/5☆ Beginning noise bugs me for some reason

2.W / X / Y / Tani Yuuki
~4/5 Really liked this song when it first came out but grew tired of it.

3.ベテルギウス / 優里
~4/5 beautiful voice!

4.ミックスナッツ / Official髭男dism
~2/5 like the chorus but it’s too noisy

5.ドライフラワー / 優里
~4/5 If you have a good singing voice please sing this at karaoke

On to 2021

1.ドライフラワー / 優里- skipped. Already listened to this

2.Dynamite / BTS- skipped. Not a Japanese song

3.夜に駆ける / YOASOBI
~4/5 it’s a good song

4.炎 / LiSA
~3/5 great singer. But not my kinda song

5.怪物 / YOASOBI
~5/5 This is one of the songs that I’ve been listening to on repeat for a long time. It deserves a 5

Well that was fun. Kind of thinking I want to listen to top anime songs of all time instead but for now I’ll stick to year end charts

On to 2020! Oh I remember that year

12 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 3

Read Real Japanese Essays again today. 料理 角田光代. Listened, listened reading along, thorough read through, listened again. A noticeable step up in difficulty from the previous essays.

13 Likes

04/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

2 episodes from Nihongo Con Teppei. The first epidoe was easy to understand, but I found it hard to grasp the meaning of a few words in the second ep. I found some fun listening resources that I want to try, so hopefully my listening skills improves before I get to them.

12 Likes

May 4, Thu of Week 6 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

こころ (夏目漱石) : (下) 先生と遺書 Ch.45-48.

Onomappu’s Can you understand a casual conversation between two Japanese students? - YouTube

歴史 [46-47/90] - 江戸時代 [8-9/11].

Places and names

なぜパラオは親日国なのか?歴史から日本統治時代までわかりやすく解説 - YouTube. The country with circular moon flag :jp: :full_moon_with_face:

12 Likes

Today I watched the latest video from Speak Japanese Naturally:

About flowers in bloom at a place near Mt. Fuji. This place looks amazing, I love the view of Mt. Fuji, with the pink flowers and the trees backing it all with a perfect strip of clouds.
Also found it amusing how there was a ton of Peter Rabbit merchandise, wasn’t really expecting to see something so English in the middle of Japan.
okay, I just looked it up, seems that Japan is actually mad about Peter Rabbit :laughing:

I understood quite a bit I think, the Japanese subs really help! I think this has quickly become one of my favourite channels.

I also listened to/watched two vids from @windupbird’s collection of cute animal videos:

On the capybara mandarin sequel, does the woman talking have a capybara as a microphone?!
so cute (I also love how disappointed the crowd sounded when the mandarin tumbled :laughing:

Oh man, looks so good. I hope it was devoured good!

12 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 34, 5 月 4 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:mount_fuji: Nihongo con Teppei - Episode 17 - 18
Finally caught up to where I last left off. I appreciate the format of easy first half and then somewhat more difficult, conversational later half. I’m looking forward to when I’m relistening to this many years later.

That gives me an idea: I think I’ll set myself the goal to revisit certain things at the beginning of each year of study. If they become too easy, I’ll move on from them. But for 日本語こんてっぺい I want to see next year how much I can understand from these early episodes. Maybe I’ll do one early episode and one where I’m further along the line for comparison?

11 Likes

May 3-4 :dna: :headphones:

I have been enjoying the 硝子の塔の殺人 audiobook a lot. I’m not sure if certain voices got less annoying or it’s just that I’m enjoying the story so much, but even when they shout and shriek excitedly I don’t mind at all. And the narration in between the dialogue is nicely calm and even. A very good balance.

12 Likes

Summary Post

May 4th
What did I listen to?: Akane Korea travel vlog
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

I saw this video pop up as a recommended video - what a lovely intersection of my interests xD I have not been to Korea but am curious how it would be to go there so this was right up my alley ^^ The WowPass seems hella convenient, I would definitely use that lol

I want to eat this so bad?? It looks amazing :drooling_face: 牛丼 is low-key one of my favorite foods, I wish that I was in any way skilled enough to make that (you say not particularly hard to make but respectfully all cooking is hard to me lmao)

OH MY GOODNESS I think so :sob: That’s adorable, I didn’t even notice :sob:

12 Likes

May 4th!

Just a tiny listen today - an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.

(Home Post)

12 Likes

1.夜に駆ける / YOASOBI- skipped. Already listened to this today

2.Pretender / Official髭男dism
~3/5 I get why people like this song but it’s not my thing

3.紅蓮華 / LiSA
5/5 I think this song will be remembered for a long time

4.I LOVE… / Official髭男dism
3/5 Lots of extra noises in this song.

5.白日 / King Gnu
3/5 meh!

1.Lemon / 米津玄師
4/5 Good song. Just bored with it

2.マリーゴールド / あいみょん
4/5 The song I hear the most at

3.Pretender / Official髭男dism
-skipped already listened to this

4.白日 / King Gnu
-skipped already listened to this

5.馬と鹿 / 米津玄師
4/5 can’t believe this song is 4 years old now

2018 is when I came to Japan. I didn’t really listen to Japanese music before 2019 so I’m curious.

1.Lemon / 米津玄師 -skipped listened to already

2.U.S.A. / DA PUMP
5/5 COME ON BABY AMERICA something something something!

3.ガラスを割れ! / 欅坂46
5/5 It’s so fun!!!

4.打上花火 / DAOKO × 米津玄師
5/5 beautiful song. Completely forgot about it until now

5.ドラえもん / 星野源
4/5

songs in 2018 seem a lot happier

1.恋 / 星野源
4/5 It’s fine. Just tired of it.

2.シェイプ・オブ・ユー / エド・シーラン
Skipped not a Japanese song

3.打上花火 / DAOKO × 米津玄師
Skipped listened to already

4.不協和音 / 欅坂46
5/5 Very fun song :musical_note:

5.二人セゾン / 欅坂46
4/5 I like it. This group had 2 hit singles this year. They must have been busy.

This is a fun way to get know Japanese music

1.翼はいらない / AKB48
2/5 I didn’t really like it.

2.前前前世 / RADWIMPS
4/5 I remember listening to this a lot.

3.恋 / 星野源 -Skipped already listened to this

4.君はメロディー / AKB48
3/5 it’s okay

5.世界に一つだけの花 / SMAP
3/5 It’s okay

Wow I’ve listened to a lot of songs today
Not sure if it is good for listening practice but it is fun

9 Likes

05/05/2023 :fairy: Home Post Link

One episode from Japanese with Shun. I had to listen to the same episode twice because I was walking and I couldn’t hear the audio very well.

12 Likes

May 5, Fri of Week 6 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

こころ (夏目漱石) : (下) 先生と遺書 Ch.49-52.

歴史 [48-49/90] - 江戸時代 [10-11/11].

Places and names

Also, listened to YUYU on Radwimps.

12 Likes

Home Post :hatching_chick:

May 2nd

I watched a video by Speak Japanese Naturally where she went to the National Art Center in Roppongi. The video was fun and very interesting to watch and I was surprised by how much I could understand. She visited an exhibition featuring art by high school students and everyone seemed to have worked really hard on their artworks. It was an impressive exhibition (especially in contrast to what my classmates and I used to draw in art class back in high school…). Does anyone else feel like you’ve gotten better at ignoring subtitles in order to get more out of your listening practice? Ignoring them feels a lot easier now.
Afterwards I watched Ken’s conversation about Okinawa which was pretty difficult but I think I understood more than last time. I would love to visit Okinawa one day but my itinerary is already packed. :sob:
Last but not least, I ended my listening practice with episode 14 of Japanese with Shun.

May 3rd

I didn’t watch any videos but I listened to the Nihongo con Teppei episodes 166-172 while taking a relaxing bath.

May the 4th be with you

I watched Naoko’s packing vlog and it was easy to understand for me. I like that she uses a lot of synonyms and visual aids to help her viewers understand what she is talking about.
After that I tried Shun’s Osaka vlog and my understanding was alright even though the video felt a little more difficult mainly because he talked faster than Naoko. The video itself was kinda boring though. There were a lot of awkward pauses where he tried to break the silence with filler words. But I did like the funny looking hotel at 8:51.

May 5th

I watched another video by Speak Japanese Naturally about Mount Fuji and Shibazakura. The place looked extremely beautiful but the difficulty level seemed to keep changing quite considerably for me throughout the video. Some parts were easy to understand while others were pretty tricky.
Next I watched a Comprehensible Japanese video about extensive reading. I was happy with my understanding and it was interesting to learn about Yuki’s experiences learning english. I really enjoyed this video.
Then I tried Akane’s Aichi vlog which was very difficult for me. I could kind of guess what topic she was talking about based on what I was seeing but most of the time I was pretty lost.

12 Likes

:cherry_blossom: Day 35, 5 月 5 日 :herb:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

:mount_fuji: Nihongo con Teppei - Episode 19 - 20
Two episodes about traveling. Admittedly not a topic I really care about. People just go backpacking in a foreign country? Lol I can barely leave my house.

12 Likes

May 5th!

I had a lesson with my tutor today, so I’m counting that as my listening practise today.
We did some N3 level exam style questions, and also talked about lots of stuff, including our favourite types of weapon, and borrowing clothes from our sisters. :grin:

(Home Post)

12 Likes

:cherry_blossom: :seedling: 5月4日 and 5月5日 :seedling: :cherry_blossom: (Home Post Link)

Spent a lot of time reading, but not so much time listening lately

5/4 - 1 episode of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 - still with english subs, but trying not to use them too much when I can avoid them. also watched about half of an episode of skip and loafer without english subs because, inexplicably, there were no english subs for the new episode :sweat_smile:
5/5 - オフコラボ!2人で手料理作るぺこおおおおおおおおおお! - pekora cooking stream with AZKi; hololive cooking streams are always… eventful :laughing: Pekora’s knife handling is absolutely terrifying. I only watched ピーマンの肉詰め prep part, might try that out at some point.

In love with this pokemon plate

Oh and the 牛丼 was delicious and devoured with great vigor! I’m going to try making it again soon with some tweaks, definitely a nice one to add to the repertoire. :yum:

Edit: i lied, i made the 牛丼 tonight because i have zero self control :laughing: added shiitake mushrooms, a little bit of sugar, and some red miso and it was, I don’t think i’m exaggerating, one of the most delicious things i’ve ever cooked. still some ideas to improve/tweak it, but I want to watch some more videos first!

13 Likes

Summary Post

May 5th
What did I listen to?: Speak Japanese Naturally (thanks for linking @Zakarius :raccoon: )
How much time did I spend listening?: ~13 min

I went to visit Mt. Fuji and see the shibazakura today~ Gosh that was so pretty :pleading_face: Did I understand it? …Not really :joy: Definitely needed those Japanese subs. But it was pretty! I think the pretty low-key distracted me from listening at times lmao

12 Likes

:hot_pepper: May 5

Missed posting yesterday but didn’t miss listening. Just barely. Did the grocery shopping and listened to whatever Edgar Allen Poe translation I’m in the middle of, on the drive there and back. Didn’t even get enough information to figure out which story it was.

Today I listened to Nightmare Before Christmas and then fell asleep

12 Likes

May 5 :old_key: :video_game:

Two weeks’ worth of 極限脱出 9時間9人9の扉. I wanted to also listen to my audiobook (and do a million other things) but no time. Where does the time go?

12 Likes

May 6, Sat of Week 6 of Spring Q2 2023 :cherry_blossom:

絶海の孤島「大東島」が日本にもたらす莫大な利益を全部まとめてみました。 - YouTube on a Mineral Island, and then I learnt about C国.

こころ (夏目漱石) : (下) 先生と遺書 Ch.53-56 (end). tbh, with this series, I listened to sosekiproject’s tracks and repeated in audiobook.jp, which use different narrators. sosekiproject chops indeed made it easier to start in the middle and rewind.

YUYU on childhood video games.

歴史 [50-53/90] - ヨーロッパ・侵入. Not much today because they aren’t Japanese (but Chinese are still something).

Places and names
12 Likes