📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

Day 16
Today I only read 13 pages of a manga magazine.

But at least I managed to pass the reading part of my japanese test. Should some miracle happen and I somehow manage to pass the writing and speaking part I will again have much more time for reading.

1422 pages read 18578 to go

20 Likes

Jan 18, Wed of Week 4 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• Happiness Vol.8-10 (end series)

The answer is in author note of the last volume.

• うたわれるもの
Interesting words
  • いきむ = to bear down during childbirth. Kanji form is (いき)む.
  • うなされる = to cry out in own’s sleep. Kanji form is (うな)される.
  • のめす(.) = to make someone fall forward. Intransitive pair is のめる = to tumble forward.
  • こうむる = to receive (damage, kindness). Kanji forms are (こうむ)る and (こうむ)る.
  • サンマ = Pacific saury (a kind of fish). Kanji form is 秋刀魚(さんま).
  • なれのはて = a ruin of what someone once was. Kanji form is ()れの()て.
  • (いじ)くる = to tamper with. Probably similar to (いじ)る. Not sure about (もてあそ)ぶ.
  • (はな)やぐ = to become cheerful / to prosper
  • (いき) = stylish
  • 余興(よきょう) = side performance
  • 作法(さほう) = etiquette; manners
  • 小言(こごと) = scolding
  • (まご) = great grandson = 曾孫(ひまご) = 曾孫(ひいまご). The (ひい) can also be attached elsewhere, like 曾祖母(ひいばあ)さん.
  • 収束(しゅうそく) = resolving to normal / convergence (e.g. of light)
  • 還暦(かんれき) = 60th birthday anniversary. Probably I might learn the whole series of this later.
  • 命中(めいちゅう) = hitting the mark. Somehow aim/target is a distinctive meaning of (めい).
  • 交錯(こうさく) = complication (complicate matter). Second Kanji from 錯覚(さっかく).
  • 宿願(しゅくがん) = long standing desire
  • 俯瞰(ふかん) = bird’s eye view
  • 韜晦(とうかい) = concealing one’s talent
  • 饗宴(きょうえん) = a feast; banquet. First Kanji is specifically used for banquet.
  • 骨董(こっとう) = an antique
  • 贋物(にせもの) = counterfeit; forgery = 偽物(にせもの)
  • 無知蒙昧(むちもうまい) = ignorant
  • 面目躍如(めんもくやくじょ) = demonstrative of one’s worth

SFX

• しみじみ = keenly; deeply; heartily

Kanji

• (ソウ) (())

• formerly
    • Radical “mask” in Level 18
    • ソウ
      • 曾祖父(そうそふ)
    • ひい、ひ
      • 曾祖父(ひいじじ),     曾孫(ひまご)
    • 未曾有(みぞう)
  • (ロウ)

• toy with
    • ロウ
      • 嘲弄(ちょうろう),     玩弄(がんろう),     愚弄(ぐろう),     翻弄(ほんろう)
    • (ろう)する
    • (いじ)
    • (いじ)くる
    • (もてあそ)
  • (ガン)

• forgery; fake
    • ガン
      • 贋造(がんぞう),     贋作(がんさく)
      • 真贋(しんがん)
    • にせ
      • 贋物(にせもの)
23 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

January 18th
新書太閣記 progress: 02.61% // Volume I: 30.29% :salt:

How is it the 18th already??
Anyway, started and finished the next chapter: しお

Words found under the kotatsu

貧苦「ひんく」ー the hardships of poverty; serious poverty
嫁入り「よめいり」ー Marriage; wedding
錆刀「さびがたな」ー Rusty sword; useless sword
齎す「またらす」ー To bring (news; knowledge etc.); to introduce; to bring out; to cause; to produce
剃刀「かみそり」ー Razor
夏木立「なつこだち」ー Grove in summer
鬱蒼「うっそう」ー Thick; dense; luxuriant

Forms
繞る = 巡る「ぬぐる」(to go around; to surround; to circle)

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Main
Hideyoshi: 豊臣秀吉「とよとみ ひでよし」
– – – Childhood name: 日吉「ひよし」
– – – Childhood nickname: 猿「さる」

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
日吉「ひよし」- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nickname: 猿「さる」

Family
木下弥右衛門「きのした やえもん」- Father
筑阿弥「ちくあみ」ー Step-father
大政所「おおまんどころ」// also お奈加「おなか」ー Mother
おつみ - Older sister
小竹「こちく」- Baby brother
加藤清正「かとう きよまさ」// also 弾正「だんじょう」- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
– Married to: おえつ (sister of お奈加)

Friends & Acquaintances
仁王「におう」- Big kid friend
於福「おふく」(Nickname - full name: 福太郎「ふくたろ」) // 楊景福「ようけいふく」(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
– 五郎大夫 「ごろ だゆう」// 祥瑞「しょうずい」(Chinese name) - Father
– 梨琴「りきん」- Mother
捨次郎「すてじろう」- Previous servant to 五郎, later the adoptive father of 於福, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Others
織田信秀「おだ のぶひで」- Daimyo
– 織田与三郎「おだ よさぶろう」- Younger brother
今川義元「いまがわ よしもと」- Daimyo
斯波義統「しば よしむね」- Daimyo (head of the Shiba clan) at Kiyosu castle
渡辺天蔵「わたなべ てんぞう」- Nobushi
蜂須賀小六「はちすか ころく」(also 正勝 「まさかつ」) - Daimyo

Historical People
  • 阿倍仲麻呂「あべ の なかまろ」ー Japanese scholar & poet (around 700AD)

• 白楽天「はく きょい」ー Late 700s Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: 白楽天「はく らくてん」in Japan.

• 道元「どうげん」(or 道元禅師「どうげん ぜんじ」ー Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (Early to mid 1200s) (also known as 栄西禅師「えいさい ぜんじ」)

• 空海「くうかい」ー The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: 弘法大師「こうぼう だいし」born as: 佐伯 眞魚「さえき の まお」(late 700s to early 800s)

23 Likes

January 18th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 6 & volume 7 – progress report
Yesterday: Continued up to page 175
Today: Continued up to page 189, finished chapter 26 and volume 6. :tada:
Began reading volume 7, read up to page 20.

I’m done with volume 6 and started the next one.
The latter started with another introduction of all characters – yet again. That would be 3rd time? :thinking:Are these introductions supposed to initiate the coming arc? Are they there because Card Captor Sakura used to be serialised in magazines or something and people needed a refresher after so many weeks? Frankly, I don’t quite care but it always confuses me a little (though I don’t hate them when it comes to reading them because they aren’t too hard to understand).

I hope you get well soon without getting sick in the first place! :crossed_fingers:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Word or expression of the day:
迷惑 - (めいわく) - trouble, bother, annoyance, nuisance

23 Likes

Home Post

Day 17 Progress:
お隣の天使様 5.5 SS冊子 - 13.47% → 16.54%

Eugh… didn’t get to do any of my manga chapters yesterday because the manga hit a technical part (describing how to make lures) and it became too much of a hassle to read. Curse you, slice-of-life manga with a focus on a particular subject…

Word of the Day: 物顔ものがお - looking or acting as if one owned the place. Fairly obvious phrase but fitting all the same.

Middle/high school was a different time… the sheer amount of awful shoujo manga I would devour without batting an eye, sometimes I wish I could go back to those days of simple gratification lmao.

26 Likes

:snowflake: Day 18, 18th of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Only one story today, got distracted. :pensive:
However, what a pleasant surprise: the new friend I saw yesterday in the preview has another appearance, and it’s even animated! He’s making equipment that is a sold in shop together with magic potions.

24 Likes

:snowflake: :snowman: Home Post :snowman: :snowflake:

January 18th.

What: NHK Easy news
Pages: One article.
Time: 5 minutes.

I think I’ve decided Wednesdays are the worst! You’d think it would be Monday, but I’m all charged up and okay again after the weekend. On Wednesdays I run out of steam and get home feeling like I’ve aged 5 years. Today I read one NHK news article and fell asleep on the couch :melting_face:

In better news, I went to Japanese class again. Today was the day I realized this course will mostly revolve around speaking… Which is… I have not been doing any speaking whatsoever since I started studying. We were doing basic introductions and the teacher told me to embellish my job title a little. Apparently university employees who are not researchers or teachers have low status in Japan? So she told me to call myself a 研究アドバイザー to sound more important lol. Speaking was fun and I think I’m finally mature enough to not be embarrassed when being corrected. Also I was complimented on my pronunciation. Maybe she was being polite but I’ll take it. It’s Wednesday, I deserve this

Replies!

Thank you! :heart: I appreciate that.

Oh, totally. I could read for hours, days and weeks and never think about whether something was “good” or not. I’m getting picky in my old age and find myself dropping things immediately if they annoy me now, haha.

29 Likes

January 18th :snowflake:
Home Post

Reading 僕だけがいない街 Vol. 1

page 39 → page 49

Finally got to read a bit today even though this week is pure chaos :joy: Prepping for the defense of my thesis but trying to make room for a bit of reading still. :v: Also learned the best expression ever from today’s reading session: 惰眠をむさぼる = To sleep all day; to idle away one’s time

26 Likes

Homepost

Today I reread the whole chapter 8 of Harry Potter 1 while listening to the audio book. I don’t do this for each chapter, but sometimes I feel like it. There are alot of words that I can get the meaning but have no idea how to pronounce them. So the audio can help immensely and I don’t need to look everything up in a dictionary. Unfortunately however, the audio book does not use the exact same text as the print version.

Anyways, phrase of the day: うずうずする - itching to do something / being impatient to do something

Happy reading!

24 Likes

Day 17
I read some more Bakemonogatari Vol.3. It seems I am slowly getting used to the difficulty. Reading the manga was pretty tiring until now. Now it’s hard to put the manga down I want to know what happens next.

1475 pages read 18525 to go

21 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 18 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 本好きの下克上 16 (75% → 80%)

My shoulders don’t know what ‘relax’ is anymore.

Summary

I’d say go for it! :eyes: :sparkles: I’ve only read the novels. In fact, I got into the series after seeing Naphthalene posting about the first book and giving it high reviews. I was intrigued, especially after seeing the gorgeous cover :joy: (It was also on sale on bookwalker, but I couldn’t stop after finishing the first book, so I ended up getting the rest of the books, one by one, hehe.)

28 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 18 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

BU$TAFELLOWS :moneybag:

This first chapter never ends, guys. :sob: I just keep reading and keep reading and there is more. Like it is totally enjoyable but I’m trying to catch up with the club and at this stage, I’ll be lucky to finish chapter 2 before chapter 4 starts next week… … … …

Favorite phrase/word from today: ケースバイケース

I might be close to the end of the chapter but it is almost midnight here and I just had another very large speech bubble/text box again with probably multiple words I need to look up, so I quit for the day.

I also had to shovel a lot of heavy snow today because when it snows at around the freezing point (0C), it is so wet…

And here I hoped I’d turn my schedule around after getting back from the US where I had a very different schedule, and yet I find myself pushing towards midnight like always… :confused:

24 Likes

I read the second half of Tuberose (sorry, I never remember how to type that word and I’m on mobile so it’s even worse). I thought it would take the whole flight but instead I had 45 min leftover to stew on that ending.

What a ride. The second book is longer so I probably won’t do the whole thing in one go, but I’ll see how far I get with it on my return flight in a few days.

I also need to go finally catch up to the thread!

26 Likes

:snowflake: :red_gift_envelope: 1月18日 :red_gift_envelope: :snowflake: (Home Post Link)

Read:

• 夜カフェ pg 17 - just one page, words were slippery today
  • ホリミヤ ch 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 - in some of these my comprehension dropped a ton, not sure if I was just super tired or if they were written in kind of a convoluted way.
Good Words

夜カフェ
二言三言「ふたことみこと」ー a few words

ホリミヤ
緊張「きんちょう」ー tension, strain
寝坊「ねぼう」ー sleeping in late
凄まじい「すさまじい」ー terrible, dreadful
沈黙 「ちんもく」ー silence, hush
油断「ゆだん」ー negligence
週刊「しゅうかん」ー weekly publication
鋭い「するどい」ー sharp, pointed
陥る「おちいる」ー to fall (into)
吐く「つく」ー to tell (a lie)
個性的「こせいてき」ー individual, idiosyncratic
裏技「うらわざ」ー secret trick
モテモテ ー sexy, popular, well-liked
つまむ ー to pinch, to hold between one’s fingers (here, one’s nose)

24 Likes

January 18th!

I didnt read as much as I’d have liked to today.
I got half way though a chapter of Shadow’s House but I kept falling asleep :frowning:
I’ll read the second half of the chapter tomorrow I suppose!

(Home Post)

23 Likes

While I like Steel Ball Run, I am finding that I want to read Re:Zero more… I was anticipating I would be in watching “anime-mode” but apparently I am still in reading mode… I’ll finish volume 2 and take a break and maybe come back to it when I get my new Kindle (since mine is over 12 years old and its harder to read small text).

20 Likes

January 17th
I unfortunately only did my speaking practice on the Aomi Japanese app today. And the app unexpectedly updated and partially reset my progress?!?! D:< On my profile, it still acknowledges the number of words I learned, but on the main page, it says I’m in week 1, day 1 when I’m supposed to be in week 4 by now! So that’s seriously annoying. They also seem to have increased the number of items a day from 24 items to 33 items, and that just feels too much to do all in one day, everyday. So from now on I’ll be breaking up each training session across 2 days. It feels less satisfying that way, but oh well.

January 18th
What did I read?: 魔女と猫の話
How much did I read?: 8 pages
(Continued 1st Story )
How long did it take me?: 1 h 11 min

Suzu essentially tells her cat to get lost, but soon realizes the repercussions of doing so… I get that he isn’t quite what she wanted, but I still think he’s cute. She complains about him being a glutton, but Suzu, that’s basically every cat ever… :sweat_smile:

I learned a new cat-related word today: ぶち猫! It apparently means a bicolour cat, typically black and white. The ぶち part means “spots.”

While I haven’t verified this or anything, I somehow get the impression that Japanese has more specific words for non-pedigree cats than English does, which I think is neat~

Replies

Thank you for celebrating with me!

I know, right?! XD
And thank you!

I know, I was so excited to read it! And yes, I intend to share a kitty picture at least once per story! (There are 7.)

Oh, that’s actually so nice to hear! And you got にわにはににん! :smiley: But yeah, it’s definitely not a beginner’s manga, heh, heh. It took me quite some effort to work through it (no furigana!). Would you be interested in me scanning my handwritten notes that I took while reading it? It’s not a complete vocabulary list, since I only put down words I didn’t know (although that’s still quite a lot of them, eheh), but maybe would still be helpful? My handwriting is legible, I would say (although I might be biased! XD). I understand you don’t intend to read it anytime soon, but I could share them with you now for the future or you could just let me know later when you do want them, whenever that might be. Or maybe you’d rather wait until you’ve reached the point that you wouldn’t need a vocabulary list in the first place. But I thought I’d just put out the offer in case you’d be interested!

And so you know, although 魔女と猫の話 does have a higher word count per page than にわにはににん, it has furigana and seems to have more everyday-life vocabulary (the latter really seemed to be going for a more literary-vibe).

25 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 18: January 18th :snowflake:

spacer:older_woman:t2: ××でも魔法少女になれますか? Volume 1 (39% ➨ 43%)
spacer:mag: 名探偵コナン Volume 13 (39% ➨ 44%)

Inching along with reading just a little here and there so far this week.

25 Likes

January 18 :snowflake: Home Post

I ended up somewhat busy with other things today so not the most reading, but I did pick up ノッキンオン・ロックドドア again so yay! I’ve figured out that it varies pretty wildly in difficulty depending on what’s happening :joy: it’s never super rough though, and it’s all mystery nonsense surrounded by fun character interactions and we know I’m all about that :laughing:

25 Likes

:cup_with_straw: Home :mexico:

January 18th

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険7
start - 27

Forced myself to get 6h of sleep last night but still ran out of time to read. Hopefully tonight’s better. This volume starts pretty bizarrely with some heavy bs, but I’ll tolerate it because it’s JoJo… and I know the bs’ing gets better in later Parts.

25 Likes