📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 ☃❄

ごろ or ごろう ? IME 郎 in names usually comes out as ろう.

11 Likes

Jan 3, Tue of Week 2 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• はたらく細胞 Black Vol.2 Ch.6 (start volume)

It appears that I glide pretty well with Kanji. Cruel nature makes it interesting so far.

• うたわれるもの
Interesting words
  • おすまし = composed and proper. From お()まし = clear
  • まどろっこしい = sluggish; slow. From 間怠(まだる)っこい.
  • おどける = to crack a joke. Also (おど)ける. (Just how many Kun readings does this Kanji have? Also, this one is unlisted.)
  • (とが) = fault; blame; offense. I only have see (とが)める before.
  • (やつ)れる = to become emaciated. Actually I saw this Kanji very early on (in Tae Kim?) but long time no see.
  • 愚痴(ぐち)る = to complain. 愚痴(ぐち) getting conjugated confuses me a little.
  • ()れる = to be sharp-minded. Also the same キレる = to snap; to get mad.
    • (あたま)()れる
    • 機転(きてん)()
  • (なぞ)めいた = enigmatic. From (なぞ)めく = to be enigmatic
  • (すす)める = to encourage; to urge. Compare (すす)める = to recommend. (The former can also be, to recommend.)
  • (おく)する = to be hesitant; to be timid. The Kanji from 臆病(おくびょう).
  • ()()る = to be taken aback; to bend backwards
  • ()(あま)る = to be more than one deserves
  • (ただ)ちに = at once. Without ち would be either (じか)に or (じき)に.
  • 茶請(ちゃう)け = snack served with tea
  • 嬉々(きき) = joyfully
  • 事欠(ことか)かない = having plenty
  • 息抜(いきぬ)き = taking a breather
  • 黄色(きいろ)(こえ) = a sharp squeaky voice, like of a child or a girl = きいきい(ごえ)
  • 一瞥(いちべつ) = a glance. Somehow, I continue to forget the reading, and no Furigana.
  • 暢気(のんき) = carefree = 呑気(のんき). The Kanji is from 流暢(りゅうちょう).
  • 調度品(ちょうどひん) = furnishings
  • 角質(かくしつ) = keratin = composition of (つの).
  • 不衛生(ふえいせい) = unsanitary conditions
  • 白癬(はくせん) = ringworm; tinea. Inside the second Kanji is 新鮮(しんせん), I don’t know why. 赤血球(せっけっきゅう) said 雑魚(ざこ).
    • Depending on the location, can be 水虫(みずむし),     田虫(たむし),     陰金(いんきん),     白雲(しらくも)   (supposed to be 白癬(しらくも) ?, but the manga put in the former)
  • 真菌(しんきん) = true fungus. Also, 菌類(きんるい) = fungi, but (きん) can be both bacteria and fungi.
  • 潰瘍(かいよう) = ulcer. 胃潰瘍(いかいよう) = stomach ulcer = ()潰瘍(かいよう).
  • 雁字搦(がんじがら)め = being bound hand and foot. Being bound ((から)む) in a group of wild geese ((がん)).
  • 節穴(ふしあな) = bad eyes (can’t see well) / a hole in a thin board
  • 品性下劣(ひんせいげれつ) = of low character
  • 苦楽(くらく)(とも)にする = to share joys and sorrows with
  • ()いがかりをつける = to accuse someone falsely

SFX

• ギトギト = greasy
  • ビシッと = cleanly; sternly; flatly

Kanji

• (セン)

• ringworm; tinea
    • セン
      • 白癬菌(はくせんきん),     皮癬(ひぜん),     魚鱗癬(ぎょりんせん)
  • (カイ)

• crush
    • カイ   ((カイ))
      • 潰瘍(かいよう),     胃潰瘍(いかいよう)
      • 潰走(かいそう)
    • (つぶ)
      • (つぶ)れる,     ()(つぶ)す,     暇潰(ひまつぶ)
    • (つい)える
20 Likes

I thought it’d be ろう but the furigana given is just ろ

goro

11 Likes

I decided to try digging into this a little bit today, and discovered that this phrase itself is based on an older phrase 二六時中, which also meant around the clock (a full day). I was like “there’s no way this makes any sense unless japan used to have some really messed up clocks that no one has told me about.”

Japan had some really messed up clocks that no one had told me about. A full day was divided in to 12 “hours”, 6 day and 6 night (hence the 2x6 = full day), but the length of those hours was based on the actual length of the day/night periods. So in the winter, the 6 night hours were longer, and the 6 day hours were shorter, and reverse in the summer. (Edit for clarification: this time system existed before the clocks, they clocks were made in a super funky way to try to capture the existing dominant way of measuring time in tokugawa/edo japan, but it was still 2x6 = one full day)

During the meiji restoration (at least, according to jp wiktionary 四六時中 - ウィクショナリー日本語版 ), this existing expression was altered to make it make a little bit more sense with a Western 24 hour day

29 Likes

day 3 :dragon:
home post

Read: Yotsubato!

Progress: 25/224 → 35/224

Thoughts: This has definitely been a lot lighter of a read now that I got past the first part, just like @javerend said! To be fair there were a lot of panels without any dialogue, but where there was I was able to understand much better than the first 20-ish pages. I am enjoying it more now.

(I don’t know how to quote people on the forums yet, so I just pinged you lol)

27 Likes

:snowflake: Day 3, 3rd of January :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

In today’s first DrDru story we talk about Harry Potter. Once again too many Katakana names for my liking.

In the second it’s movie time. We guess which movie it is based on the emoji presented, so there isn’t too much content to read here. Which is good because I’m a bit dizzy today.

24 Likes

January 3rd (Day 3) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

Today, I finished reading chapter 8 of 海辺のカフカ, and I finally feel like I’m slowly starting to get a hang of this :3 I am considering reading a little bit more though, because I’ve been scrolling through the bookclub’s discussion on the following chapters and got a little curious :eyes:

As for my side quest, I only had the energy to read the next short story from the collection about Milton and Bulka titled Черепаха (The Turtle). The story was, to my surprise and delight, complete with some turtle facts - so I got a little refresher on my turtle knowledge as a bonus :turtle: Sometimes I forget just how cool turtles are.

27 Likes

There’s a little one-room private museum in Tokyo with a collection of those “daimyo clocks”. Recommended for clock nerds, especially if you can make a stab at reading the only-in-Japanese exhibit labels.

24 Likes

absolutely putting this on my travel wishlist thank you :joy:

11 Likes

January 3 :heavy_check_mark: :dancer:

おばちゃんたちのいるところ , 53-62%

Today I read this week’s two stories from おばちゃんたちのいるところ. And this concludes the book clubs for this week. I need to think what to read tomorrow. Continue with my mountain ghost stories book, or read something new?

That’s so cool! I knew about the uneven six hours of day and six hours of night, but had no idea there were actual clocks that could measure such a crazy time!

26 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: January 2-3 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

English reading (The Hot Rock by Donald E Westlake) :books:

Have I mentioned how busy I’d be for the first half of this month? If you’ve missed it, then apparently I forgot to mention it in this thread because I sure have said in a number of places. :joy:

So yeah, no actual Japanese reading. Probably a sentence here or there while reading the forum, but nothing on my (Japanese) priorities.

I did however finish a novel in English I’m reading for a workshop, so it was a prioritized read, and I do have another one of those. Which might be the only thing I read for the next two weeks, more or less. :sweat_smile:

I’m gonna be sooo behind on both VN clubs…

24 Likes

Day 2
I have finished the third volume of U12. Even though there are still six more volumes left, let’s pretend that the manga ends with volume 3. The girls board a subway and drive to safety while running over all the pedos. What a beautiful ending.

After that I read three pages of ぼっちゃん.

262 pages read 19738 to go

20 Likes

:books: 01月03日
9-nine-

Finished week 1 for the club, seems pretty nice so far. I get the feeling I’m going to like it. I have to be responsible and not read more :joy: so うたわれるもの until Friday.

I might start NieR:Automata again. And I say again because I did play many hours of it until the first ending back in some previous challenge but I didn’t continue for some reason even though I was adoring the game. I’ve seen that an anime is about to release and it got me curious but I don’t want to watch it without finishing the game first. So I’ll restart it soon, maybe.

24 Likes

January 3rd!

Today I read this weeks ABBC portion of Cells at Work.
I had to look up a lot of vocab, but thats to be expected when it includes words like 血管内皮 vascular endothelium :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

26 Likes

I was planning to wait to start volume 5 of シャドーハウス, but decided to let myself read 2 chapters since it was my birthday. So I read 6…

3/1 3 pages おばちゃんたちのいるところ (finished story 7), 70 pages シャドーハウス (chapters 51-56)

28 Likes

誕生日おめでとうございます!

I’m still only half way through Volume 4 of Shadows House but I’m really enjoying it so I’m hoping it stays as interesting through volume 5 too.

24 Likes

It’s entertaining and easy reading - so far not as many major revelations as volume 4, though I think something interesting is about to happen where I paused.

15 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Jan 3 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

・ 本好きの下克上 16 (22% → 25%)

Was busy packing stuff today, but got to read a bit while waiting for the train. …Ah, train wifi is as spotty and unstable as always. I wonder how online lecture tomorrow will be :joy: Good thing classmates take audio recordings.

Happy birthday! :partying_face: :birthday:

28 Likes

Well, today was largely and unexpectedly successful on the reading front. I spent a good hour trying to figure out how to buy books online and ended up going through basically the entirety of Book Walker JP in Japanese without realizing that a lot of the pages are also available in English haha. By the time I ended up buying the mangas and light novels I wanted, I felt as though I got in enough reading for the day but I didn’t stop there. I read:

• ~ 3 pages of フライングうぃっち(1)
  • ~ 5 pages of レンタルおにいちゃん(1)

Huge success for me. I’m glad I now have easy access to a few different series so that I can read something every day~

32 Likes

Summary post

Day 3: January 3rd
What did I read?: 夜の名前を呼んで Vol 3
How much did I read?: 28 pages
How long did it take me?: 41 min

My heart :sob::heart: This chapter is like bursting with cuteness. Goat Boy (whose actual name is Capri) comes back again because he needs some medicine for his mom - however, he came for it on the wrong day, so he has to wait around for a bit while Rei makes it. Sorry idk why but I thought this panel of Rei rushing to answer the door was adorable so I’m putting it here, he’s just so cute with the little toothbrush hanging out of his mouth :joy:

Rei makes Capri wait around as Goat Boy because Mira is too shy around him as a human but loves him in his tiny goat form :joy: He and Mira have such a cute little time together :sob: They start talking about this book that Mira was reading, and then they start having imaginary adventures, and it’s just- :pleading_face: PERFECT.

Rei clearly agrees with me, look at him getting all mushy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

THIS IS LITERALLY THE CUTEST PANEL IN THE WORLD I’M SORRY BUT LOOK AT THEM, THESE SQUISHY LITTLE BEANS

Replies!

YAAAAAS :heart: This makes me so happy, I hope you love them when you get to them

:bangbang: I love this, thank you for bringing this to my attention
I love that the day and night hours actually corresponded to the actual day and night all the time though, like honestly that logic makes it my new favorite time system. Also love that it basically acknowledges that time is made up, like the idea of the hours literally just being longer sometimes is so fascinating to me. I want to experience this time system just to see what it would be like, I can’t decide if I would hate it or love it in practice :joy: My sense of time passing is so wonky anyway, idk if variable hour lengths would help me or confuse me more xD

29 Likes