๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

February 18th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Card Captor Sakura volume 10 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Began reading volume 10, read up to page 16.
Today: Continued up to page 103, finished chapters 39 and 40.

Kudos to both Sakura and Yukito who handled the confession and rejection very nicely even though Sakura didnโ€™t quite agree with Yukitoโ€™s comparison that her love towards him was just like the love towards her father.
Can I also give Yukito another heap of praise for rejecting a person much younger than himself in midst of all the (in my opinion) messed up relationship dynamics between minors and adults weโ€™ve had so far? Good job, Yukito, good job! :+1: From the little bit I remember, the platonic relationship between Yukito and Sakura becomes purely wholesome from that point on which I liked quite a bit.

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๅฏฟๅ‘ฝ - (ใ˜ใ‚…ใฟใ‚‡ใ†) - life span

Honourable mention(s):
็…งใ‚Œๅฑ‹ - (ใฆใ‚Œใ‚„) - shy, a very shy person

22 Likes

Feb 18, Sat of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚นใฎใ†ใ•ใŽ Ch.5

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.4 Ch.17 ๅฑฑๅฝข(ใ‚„ใพใŒใŸ)

Forced westernization.

• Ruri Dragon Vol.1

I finished the volume in one go with no lookup in between. Actually, I knew most vocabularies and could guess the rest. Also with some read-aloud (quietly).

Around 1.5 hour, I think. Cute.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใŠใใ‚‹ในใ = formidable. It is indeed ๆ(ใŠใ)ใ‚‹ + ในใ / ในใ—.
  • ใ™ใŒใ™ใŒใ—ใ„ = refreshing = ๆธ…ใ€…(ใ™ใŒใ™ใŒ)ใ—ใ„
  • ใ„ใ›ใ„ใฎใ‚ˆใ„ = cheerful; vigorous; assertive = ๅจๅ‹ข(ใ„ใ›ใ„)ใฎ่‰ฏ(ใ‚ˆ)ใ„ = ๅจๅ‹ข(ใ„ใ›ใ„)ใฎใ„ใ„
  • ใ‹ใ„ใ‚‚ใ = (not) at all; entirely = ็š†็›ฎ(ใ‹ใ„ใ‚‚ใ)
  • ใƒœใ‚พใฃใจ(.) = absentmindedly
  • ใƒ–ใ‚ซใƒ–ใ‚ซ(.) = baggy (of clothing)
  • ใกใ‚Šใขใ‚Š = scattered = ๆ•ฃ(ใก)ใ‚Šๆ•ฃ(ใข)ใ‚Š
  • ใ‚ทใƒฃใƒ™ใƒซ(.) = shovel
  • ใ‚ฝ้€ฃ(ใ‚Œใ‚“) = Soviet Union; USSR = ใ‚ฝใƒ“ใ‚จใƒˆ้€ฃ้‚ฆ(ใ‚Œใ‚“ใฝใ†)
  • ใ‚ใใพใˆใ‚‹ = to exercise moderation; to bear in mind = ๅผ(ใ‚ใใพ)ใˆใ‚‹
  • ๅผ•(ใฒ)ใฃ็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใฆใ‚‹ = to walk someone off (e.g. to police station)
  • ้€ฃ่กŒ(ใ‚Œใ‚“ใ“ใ†) = dragging some away (e.g. to police station)
  • ๆ•็ธ›(ใปใฐใ) = arrest; apprehension (policeโ€™s doing)
  • ๅฏ(ใญ)ใ‹ใˆใ‚‹ = to put to bed
  • ่ฌ€(ใŸใฐใ‹)ใ‚‹ = to work out a plan of deception. Has Furigana.
  • ๆฎ‹ๅฟ(ใ–ใ‚“ใซใ‚“) = brutal
  • ่ฆ‹็›ฎ(ใฟใ‚) = looks = ่ฆ‹(ใฟ)ใŸ็›ฎ(ใ‚)
  • ่ข‚(ใŸใ‚‚ใจ) = sleeves (e.g. of a kimono). Has Furigana.
  • ใใฎ้ƒฝๅบฆ(ใคใฉ) = each time it happens. Reading is just as in ้ƒฝๅˆ(ใคใ”ใ†).
  • ่’ธ็™บ(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใค) = evaporation; disappearance without a trace
  • ่ฟฝๆ†ถ(ใคใ„ใŠใ) = recollection; reminiscence = ่ฟฝๆƒณ(ใคใ„ใใ†)
  • ๅ‡บๅ‘(ใ—ใ‚…ใฃใ“ใ†) = relocation (of an employee)
  • ่ปŠๅคซ(ใ—ใ‚ƒใต) = the worker pulling a rickshaw (ๅŠ›่ปŠ(ใ‚Šใใ—ใ‚ƒ))
  • ๆ•ฃ้ซช(ใ•ใ‚“ใฑใค) = haircut
  • ไธ้ซท(ใกใ‚‡ใ‚“ใพใ’) = topknot (hairstyle). Has Furigana.
  • ใƒœใ‚ตใƒœใ‚ต(.) = ruffled (hair)
  • ๆญฃ่ฃ…(ใ›ใ„ใใ†) = formal dress (uniform)
  • ๆกไพ‹(ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ‚Œใ„) = ordinance; law
  • ๆถˆๆฏ(ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใใ) = tidings; news
  • ่ƒŒไปป(ใฏใ„ใซใ‚“) = breach of trust
  • ้ฝŸ้ฝฌ(ใใ”) = inconsistency; discrepancy. Has Furigana.
  • ้˜ฒ็ฉบๅฃ•(ใผใ†ใใ†ใ”ใ†) = air-raid shelter. The third Kanji ๏ฝžๅฃ•(ใ”ใ†) is already enough to mean shelter. Has Furigana and explanation in context, but I find the Kanji interesting.
  • ้‹ๆฒณ(ใ†ใ‚“ใŒ) = waterway
  • ็ฝน็ฝ(ใ‚Šใ•ใ„) = suffering (from calamity). ็ฝน็ฝ่€…(ใ‚Šใ•ใ„ใ—ใ‚ƒ) in context and has Furigana.
  • ็˜ง(ใŠใ“ใ‚Š) = intermittent fever (often is malaria). Has Furigana and explanation.
  • ็‚Šไบ‹(ใ™ใ„ใ˜) = cooking. I recalled first Kanjiโ€™s reading from ็‚Š้ฃฏๅ™จ(ใ™ใ„ใฏใ‚“ใ).
  • ๅ™ด้œง(ใตใ‚“ใ‚€) = spraying. Second Kanji is ้œง(ใใ‚Š) = mist; fog.
  • ่€ƒๅฏŸ(ใ“ใ†ใ•ใค) = deliberate consideration
  • ใ”ๆณ•ๅบฆ(ใฏใฃใจ) = being banned
  • ่ฟ‘้ƒŠ(ใใ‚“ใ“ใ†) = outskirts
  • ็ฝชไบบ(ใ–ใ„ใซใ‚“) = criminal; lawbreaker
  • ๆ „้คŠๅคฑ่ชฟ(ใˆใ„ใ‚ˆใ†ใ—ใฃใกใ‚‡ใ†) = malnutrition
  • ้…’ๆฑ ่‚‰ๆž—(ใ—ใ‚…ใกใซใใ‚Šใ‚“) = sumptuous feast; debauchery. A pond of alcohol and a forest of (edible) meat.
  • ๆๆ‚ฆ่‡ณๆฅต(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใˆใคใ—ใ”ใ) = extremely delighted
  • ่ซธ่‚Œ่„ฑ(ใ‚‚ใ‚ใฏใ ใฌ)ใŽ = being bare from the waist up. Verb form is ่ซธ่‚Œ(ใ‚‚ใ‚ใฏใ )ใ‚’่„ฑ(ใฌ)ใ. Using ๅŒ(ใ‚‚ใ‚) instead in context. Has Furigana.

Some others I can think of, ็‹ผ็‹ฝ(ใ‚ใ†ใฐใ„) and ็‹ผ็‹ฝ(ใ†ใ‚ใŸ)ใˆใ‚‹; and ๅ˜ฒ็ฌ‘(ใกใ‚‡ใ†ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) and ๅ˜ฒ็ฌ‘(ใ‚ใ–ใ‚ใ‚‰)ใ†.

18 Likes

:snowman_with_snow: :snowflake: February 17 - 18 :snowflake: :snowman_with_snow:
Home Post

Yesterday
Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts

Today
Orange :tangerine:
ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ€ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ใ€‚ :speech_balloon:
ใƒ›ใƒ†ใƒซใƒปใƒกใƒƒใƒ„ใ‚กใƒšใ‚ฆใƒฉใธใ‚ˆใ†ใ“ใ 3 :christmas_tree:

Yesterday, I spent about 3-4 hours reading the last part of Shelter in Place by Nora Roberts and nothing else.

Today, I read the weekly reading for Orange (30 pages / 2 chapters), the weekly reading for Komi-san (12 pages / 2 chapters), and then just for fun I finally picked up the third volume of ใƒ›ใƒ†ใƒซใƒปใƒกใƒƒใƒ„ใ‚กใƒšใ‚ฆใƒฉใธใ‚ˆใ†ใ“ใ. I decided to see if I could read that in one day and not have it take too long. Just like this summer when I read volume 1 and 2, I didnโ€™t look up anything, instead I just kept reading and didnโ€™t find myself truly confused anywhere.

I donโ€™t know exactly how long it took me to read the whole volume, but 2-3 hours maybe? I donโ€™t know exactly when I started, so it is a bit of guess, but I donโ€™t think it can be much longer than that. :thinking:

I think this is the first time Iโ€™ve read a whole volume in one sitting (and one day). So that was kinda fun. :smiley:

23 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 18 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒป่–ฌๅฑ‹ใฎใฒใจใ‚Šใ”ใจ๏ผ“ (62% โ†’ 64%)

Today was busy, but not bad :3

Yeah! :durtle_noice:

22 Likes

February 18th (Day 49) :snowflake: :cat2:

Home post :books:

ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ (10 - 13%)

Decided to tackle a little bit of the week 2 ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ assignment today. Iโ€™m enjoying the chaos thatโ€™s unfolding so far, but finding the protagonist a little obnoxious.

21 Likes

:snowflake: Day 49, 18th of February :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Todayโ€™s page shows our two travellers heading out. They once again meet the old man. And I learned that ๆ—ฉใ€… can be read as ๆ—ฉใ€…(ใใ†ใใ†) (quickly) or ๆ—ฉใ€…(ใฏใ‚„ใฐใ‚„) (early).

Anyway, seems like the pld man wants to come with. Or he wants to give them something? Right, its ใ“ใ‚Œ not ็ง or other pronouns, so he wants them to take something with them. Seems to be a box that is supposed to help if they get lost?

20 Likes

Day 48
Just read a little bit more of Kindaichi Shounen vol.3. Already looking forward to the ridiculous overdramatic conclusion of the case.

3485 pages read

19 Likes

February 18th!

Today I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, finishing Volume 10.
Then I also read this weekโ€™s ABBC assignment of Ruri Dragon. It was very cute, and Iโ€™m looking forward to reading more.

(Home Post)

20 Likes

:performing_arts: Home :it:

February 18th

ใ‚ธใƒงใ‚ธใƒงใฎๅฅ‡ๅฆ™ใชๅ†’้™บ9
-

ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ 1
-

The JoJolands
16 pages (finished chapter)

Demonic Heartbreak
33 pages (whole new chapter)

I thought I would read more of vol 9 until I fell asleep but I just ended up opening and closing it lol

20 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: ๏ผ’ๆœˆ๏ผ‘๏ผ˜ๆ—ฅ :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

Had a small victory at the arcade earlier! Most of the games are only in japanese, and to prevent people from stalling/prevent the games from getting stuck if thereโ€™s an error, the menus have a time limit (usually around 40 seconds to a minute) to pick a song/do options. These menus are also notoriously confusing and weirdly nested, since you are using a rhythm game controller to try to do things youโ€™d normally want a real controller/keyboard for. I finally figured out how to get into the song options menu in wacca and adjust the scroll speed and visual settings even with that tight time restriction!

changed to a readable scroll speed and suddenly i'm pretty good at wacca

Avg ~920k on scroll speed 2.0 (default) to getting ~980k+ and SSS ranks on scroll speed 3.0 โ€ฆ funny how that works :laughing: most really good players play on 5.0, but iโ€™ll have to work up to that i think

Read:

• ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ ch 1 & 2 - (chanting) book club book club book club
  • ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ pg 1-17 - (chanting louder) book club book club book club god this manga is so cute, I really miss it and hope it comes back eventually :smiling_face_with_tear:
  • will do some more after dinner, feeling unusually motivated today
  • ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง pg 120 โ†’ 131 (chapter 10)
  • ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ ch 16

Still debating whether to also try out the IBC pick, but I think Iโ€™d like to finish ๅคœใ‚ซใƒ•ใ‚ง first. From the preview it looked like a challenging but still reasonable level for me (especially considering the slow pace and extra support of the clubs)

@NicoleIsEnough my copy of Making Sense of Japanese also got here today! I just went through the preface and introduction, but I already love this book :laughing: his sense of humor is greatly appreciated when so much of the non-fiction Iโ€™ve been reading is super dry, academic stuff

Speaking of! De-mystifying Translation | Introducing Translation to Non-translators ! Thereโ€™s a new open-source introduction to translation and translation theory book that some people here might be interested in! Itโ€™s written by a linguist, but itโ€™s intended to be accessible for broader audiences.

Word of the Day
ๅ‡กไบบใ€Œใผใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚“ใ€ใƒผ ordinary/average/mediocre person

25 Likes

Home

Only had some time for a little bit of ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข today. Just one more day of work, and then Iโ€™ll have a few days off and hopefully I wonโ€™t be so tiredโ€ฆ

19 Likes

February 18 :snowflake: Home Post

Played some more BU$TAFELLOWS today! I think Iโ€™m close to the end of the section now, but itโ€™s always kinda hard to tell. And then I have bad endings to consider :eyes: exciting times!

20 Likes

Played Genshin for some reason most of the day. So uhโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve been reading technically.

16 Likes

Read about 10 pages of ๅคœใฏ็Ÿญใ—ๆญฉใ‘ใ‚ˆไน™ๅฅณ today. Itโ€™s the weekend but starting tomorrow Iโ€™m gonna go pretty hard and try to finish this week. Iโ€™ve been going at slow place for the first chapter to get whatever names and vocab make up most of the novel, so my hope is I can just read the rest from here and see how it goes. I really love this story, so the likelihood Iโ€™ll reread it again is pretty high. So Iโ€™m not super concerned about missing things. Plus thereโ€™s the movie.

18 Likes

home post

19 feb

feel better than yesterday but still not fully with it. abandoned ๅ››ๆœˆใฏๅ›ใฎๅ˜˜ cos i wasnโ€™t finding it particularly enjoyable to read (maybe iโ€™ll go back to it? idk) so i thought iโ€™d give ่–โ˜†ใŠใซใ„ใ•ใ‚“ another go. i think i needed something a bit silly.

thanks for sharing this! looking forward to reading it!

21 Likes

:house:
February 19

ไธ–็•Œใ‹ใ‚‰็ŒซใŒๆถˆใˆใŸใชใ‚‰ pg32 โ†’pg37

Every night I tell myself Iโ€™ll read in Japanese for half an hour then go to sleep, but end up procrastinating for hours before doing so and then falling asleep after half a pageโ€ฆ tomorrow Iโ€™ll start reading in the morning instead, lol. Surely that will save me a lot of wasted time procrastinating for no reason :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

Feb 19, Sun of Week 8 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใ‚ฌใƒฉใ‚นใฎใ†ใ•ใŽ Ch.6

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.4 Ch.18-19 (end volume)

Readable Japanese speech today. (Practically everyone in the series only speaks "English".)

Actually, this is a real dialogue, which is no way an interpretation.

• Komi Canโ€™t Communicate Vol. 1 Ch.1-3

Refreshing very short chapters.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใƒŠใƒซใ‚ทใ‚นใƒˆ = narcissist. A loanword with a syllable skipped, just like ใ‚ขใƒซใ‚ณใƒผใƒซ?
  • ใคใ‚‹ใฏใ— = a pickaxe = ้ถดๅ˜ด(ใคใ‚‹ใฏใ—). Beak of a crane (ใคใ‚‹ bird).
  • ใ›ใ›ใ“ใพใ—ใ„(.) = narrow-minded
  • ใคใคใŒใชใ„ = safe; free from accident. Kanji form is ๆ™็„ก(ใคใคใŒใช)ใ„, but without Furigana, it feels like, not being ๏ฝžใคใคใ‚ใ‚‹.
  • ่‡ฅ(ใต)ใ›ใ‚‹ = to lie down in bed (e.g. with an illness). Compare with ไผ(ใต)ใ›ใ‚‹ which is just to look down; to lie down (dodging bullets).
  • ๅฒ(ใ—ใฎ)ใถ = to reminisce. Similar sounding is ๅฟ(ใ—ใฎ)ใถ = to conceal oneself / to endure. Another almost similar sound is ๅ‡Œ(ใ—ใฎ)ใ = to endure.
  • ๆ‚–(ใ‚‚ใจ)ใ‚‹ = to go against; to deviate from. ้“็†(ใฉใ†ใ‚Š)ใซๆ‚–(ใ‚‚ใจ)ใ‚‹ in context. The verb has Furigana.
  • ๅŸ‹(ใ†)ใ‚ๅˆ(ใ‚)ใ‚ใ› = making up for. Verb form is ๅŸ‹(ใ†)ใ‚ๅˆ(ใ‚)ใ‚ใ›ใ‚‹. Probably somewhat similar to ่ฃœ(ใŠใŽใช)ใ† and ็น•(ใคใใ‚)ใ†.
  • ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ•ๆ™ด(ใฐ)ใ‚‰ใ— = diversion from oneโ€™s worries = ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ•ใ‚’ๆ™ด(ใฏ)ใ‚‰ใ™. This one doesnโ€™t have Furigana, but ๆ†‚(ใ†)ใ• with Furigana is seen.
  • ็”Ÿ(ใŠ)ใ„็ซ‹(ใŸ)ใก = personal history
  • ๅบƒๆผ (ใ“ใ†ใฐใ) = vast; boundless. First Kanji uses ๆ—งๅญ—ไฝ“ form in context. taru-adjective. Has Furigana.
  • ้ทนๆš(ใŠใ†ใ‚ˆใ†) = generous. Has Furigana.
  • ๅฎนๆ˜“(ใŸใ‚„ใ™)ใ„ = simple; easy. Has Furigana.
  • ่Šณ้†‡(ใปใ†ใ˜ใ‚…ใ‚“) = rich flavor
  • ็ฐ็Œ›(ใฉใ†ใ‚‚ใ†) = fierce
  • ๅฅ”ๆ”พ(ใปใ‚“ใผใ†) = free; unrestrained. Has Furigana.
  • ไนฑๅฟƒ(ใ‚‰ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚“) = insanity
  • ๅฅ‰ๅ…ฌ(ใปใ†ใ“ใ†) = public service / apprenticeship
  • ไธ็พฉ็†(ใตใŽใ‚Š) = fail to perform oneโ€™s social obligations / ingratitude; not returning a debt
  • ่ฆ‹่ˆž้‡‘(ใฟใพใ„ใใ‚“) = gift of money in token of oneโ€™s sympathy. Of course the first two Kanji is ่ฆ‹่ˆž(ใฟใพ)ใ„, but I wasnโ€™t sure of the reading of the third.
  • ไป•้€(ใ—ใŠใ)ใ‚Š = allowance / sending someone allowance
  • ๆ•ฐ็ (ใ˜ใ‚…ใš) = rosary; a string of prayer beads
  • ๅทซ่ก“(ใตใ˜ใ‚…ใค) = shamanism
  • ้œŠๅช’ๅธซ(ใ‚Œใ„ใฐใ„ใ—) = a medium
  • ๅฃๅฏ„(ใใกใ‚ˆ)ใ› = channeling a spirit
  • ็ฅˆ็ฅท(ใใจใ†) = a prayer
  • ๅฝผๅฒธ(ใฒใŒใ‚“) = Higan weeks (weeks at spring / autumn equinox); the week of Buddhist memorial services. Has Furigana.
  • ไพ›้คŠ(ใใ‚ˆใ†) = memorial services (to the departed). Alternative reading for the first Kanji, which is usually ใ‚ญใƒงใ‚ฆ (e.g. ไพ›็ตฆ(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ‚…ใ†)).
  • ่ฟฝๆ‚ผๅผ(ใคใ„ใจใ†ใ—ใ) = memorial services (to the departed). Base word is ่ฟฝๆ‚ผ(ใคใ„ใจใ†) = mourning.
  • ๆ…ฐ้œŠ็ข‘(ใ„ใ‚Œใ„ใฒ) = memorial monument
  • ่ฉๆๅฏบ(ใผใ ใ„ใ˜) = a temple with oneโ€™s family grave
  • ๅˆๆŽŒ(ใŒใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) = two palms together = praying hand gesture. Sounds similar to ๅˆๅ”ฑ(ใŒใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ†) = singing together; choir; chorus.
  • ๆบ€ๆœŸ(ใพใ‚“ใ) = serving oneโ€™s full term (years) of service
  • ไธปๅ‚ฌ(ใ—ใ‚…ใ•ใ„) = sponsorship
  • ่ˆตๆ‰‹(ใ ใ—ใ‚…) = steersman; coxswain (of a boat). First Kanji can also be read ่ˆต(ใ‹ใ˜). Has a different Furigana (ใ‚ณใƒƒใ‚ฏใ‚น = coxswain) in context.
  • ็ซถๆผ•(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) = boat race. Has a different Furigana in context (ใƒฌใ‚ฌใƒƒใ‚ฟ = regatta). Of course, the Kanji reading is similar to ็ซถไบ‰(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) (a competition) or ็ซถ่ตฐ(ใใ‚‡ใ†ใใ†) = (a running match, also car or horse).
  • ๅฑ…็•™ๅœฐ(ใใ‚‡ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใก) = foreign settlement
  • ่ˆถๆฅ(ใฏใใ‚‰ใ„) = imported
  • ๅๆ„Ÿ(ใฏใ‚“ใ‹ใ‚“) = dislike; antipathy
  • ่‰ฒ็œผ้ก(ใ„ใ‚ใ‚ใŒใญ) = colored glasses; also, preconceived views. I thought of ๅŒ็œผ้ก(ใใ†ใŒใ‚“ใใ‚‡ใ†) which uses On reading instead.
  • ๅ—…่ฆš(ใใ‚…ใ†ใ‹ใ) = sense of smell. First Kanji from ๅ—…(ใ‹)ใ. I instead thought of ่‡ญ่ฆš(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ‹ใ), where the Kanji comes from ่‡ญ(ใซใŠ)ใ„, and I remembered the On reading from ่‡ญๆฐ—(ใ—ใ‚…ใ†ใ) and ๅŠ ้ฝข่‡ญ(ใ‹ใ‚Œใ„ใ—ใ‚…ใ†).
  • ่ฅŸ่ถณ(ใˆใ‚Šใ‚ใ—) = the border of back hair; hairline at the nape of neck
  • ๆ–‘็‚น(ใฏใ‚“ใฆใ‚“) = speckles. First Kanji from ๆ–‘(ใพใ ใ‚‰).
  • ไฝ™่ˆˆ(ใ‚ˆใใ‚‡ใ†) = side show; performance
  • ่ถณ(ใŸ)ใ—ใซใ™ใ‚‹ = to top up; to supplement to
  • ่™šๅ‹ข(ใใ‚‡ใ›ใ„)ใ‚’ๅผต(ใฏ)ใ‚‹ = to put a a bold front; to bluff
20 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 19th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 10.95% // Volume II: 25.39% :japanese_castle:

Todayโ€™s dilemma: when you donโ€™t have much time to commit to reading but the story gets exciting.

Words found under the kotatsu

็พฝๆŒฏใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใถใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Influence; power
ๆทฑๅ‚ทใ€Œใตใ‹ใงใ€ใƒผ Major wound
ๆต…ๅ‚ทใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใงใ€ใƒผ Minor wound

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 1555

ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
ๆต…้‡Žๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ใŒใ‚“ใพใ - Former worker/servant, friend of Hideyoshi

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

Volume II: 1555 - 15??
(currently 1556)

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Head of the Oda clan
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟกๅบƒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใ‚ใ€- Older brother
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐ ไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‚†ใใ€(also: ไฟกๅ‹ใ€Œใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€) - Younger brother

ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใ†ใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€- Hideyoshi
โ€“ ๆœจ่‚ก ๆจฉไธ‰ใ€ŒใใพใŸ ใ”ใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€(Nickname: ใ”ใ‚“ใž) - Servant

ๆต…้‡Ž ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใฎ ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Military commander
โ€“ ๅฏงๅญใ€Œใญใญใ€- Daughter
ๆŸด็”ฐ ๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€) - Military Commander

ๅฑฑๆทต ๅณ่ฟ‘ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ†ใ“ใ‚“ใ€- Magistrate
โ€“ ๅฑฑๆทต ็พฉ้ ใ€Œใ‚„ใพใถใก ใ‚ˆใ—ใจใŠใ€- Father (Chief Vassal)

Maeda Clan
ๅ‰็”ฐ ๅˆฉๅฎถใ€Œใพใˆใ  ใจใ—ใ„ใˆใ€(childhood name: ็Šฌๅƒไปฃใ€Œใ„ใฌใกใ‚ˆใ€) - Military commander

Saito Clan
ๆ–Ž่—ค ็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใ•ใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Military commander
โ€“ ๅญซๅ››้ƒŽใ€Œใพใ”ใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๅ–œๅนณๆฌกใ€Œใใธใ„ใ˜ใ€- Brother
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Father

Akechi Clan
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - Military Commander
ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Military Commander and adoptive father of Jyubei
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ็ง€ๆบ€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฒใงใฟใคใ€- Son, and retainer to Jyubei

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท ็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Takeda Clan
ๆญฆ็”ฐ ไฟก็Ž„ใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ—ใ‚“ใ’ใ‚“ใ€- Daimyo

Asakura Clan
ๆœๅ€‰ ็พฉๆ™ฏใ€Œใ‚ใ•ใใ‚‰ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใ’ใ€- Daimyo

21 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 49: February 18th :cloud_with_snow:

spacer:scream: ๅค่ฆ‹ใ•ใ‚“ใฏใ€ใ‚ณใƒŸใƒฅ็—‡ใงใ™ใ€‚ Volume 1 (0% โžจ 7%)

spacer:dragon_face: ใƒซใƒชใƒ‰ใƒฉใ‚ดใƒณ Volume 1 (0% โžจ 10%)

spacer:tangerine: orange Volume 7 (0% โžจ 7%)

๐Ÿ” ๅๆŽขๅตใ‚ณใƒŠใƒณ Volume 14 (9% โžจ 16%)

I always enjoy the cases where Ran suspects Conan is Shinโ€™ichi.

spacer:sun_with_face: ๅคขใฟใ‚‹ๅคช้™ฝ Volume 5 (19% โžจ 36%)

A very productive-feeling Saturday!

20 Likes
Home Post

:snowflake: Weeks 6 & 7 - Feb 6th to Feb 19th :snowflake:

Iโ€™ve been too busy to read much (or rather, so busy Iโ€™ve been too tired) and Iโ€™ve thus only read sporadically (a page here, a couple sentences there) but far from every dayโ€ฆ ใ‚ทใƒกใ‚ธใ‚ทใƒŸใƒฅใƒฌใƒผใ‚ทใƒงใƒณ is cute and fun so far but reading with the vocab sheet and looking up kanji by radicals when I donโ€™t have that on hand is quite cumbersome compared to the first few manga volumes I read at the start of the challenge:) Iโ€™ve deliberately let reading take a back seat to things like gaming and watching movies + anime with English subs in order to recharge after uni/teaching practice each day. To switch things up Iโ€™ve downloaded the audiobook of ใƒใƒชใƒผใƒใƒƒใ‚ฟใƒผใจ่ณข่€…(ใ‘ใ‚“ใ—ใ‚ƒ)ใฎ็Ÿณ(ใ„ใ—) with the intention of listening through it once (without worrying too much about my level of comprehension) before trying to read the book properly this summer (and listening to each chapter again after having read it). Iโ€™ve read the book in English 10-20 times over the past 20+ years (the series was my introduction to extensive reading in English and since the first book is so short I used to use it as a warmup before reading more difficult books in English whenever it had been a little while since I used the language) so even though the grammar and vocab will be beyond me, my familiarity with the content should carry me through the experience without too much pain :upside_down_face:

22 Likes