๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š Read every day challenge - Winter 2023 โ˜ƒโ„

:skull::skull::skull: I better be a lot better at reading when I reach that part

7 Likes

Like I said before itโ€™s a lot more action making up the pages with some lore dumps here and there. But youโ€™ll probably be ready for it by the time you reach it.

6 Likes

:spiral_calendar: Day 39: February 8th :cloud_with_snow:

spacer:crossed_swords: YAIBA Volume 1 (14% โžจ 16%)

spacer:girl: ใ‹ใ‚‰ใ‹ใ„ไธŠๆ‰‹ใฎ(ๅ…ƒ)้ซ˜ๆœจใ•ใ‚“ Volume 11 (17% โžจ 24%)

Still keeping a bit busy for reading so far this week.

This reminds me of the French branch of my family tree...

For example (keeping in mind that old records have errors and inconsistencies):

Claude Francoisโ€™s kids included:

• Claude Francoise
  • Francois Joseph
  • Francoise

Francois Joseph and his wife Jeanne Claudeโ€™s kids included:

• Anne Claude
  • Claude Francoise (son)
  • Francois Claude (daughter)
  • Joseph Claude
  • Claude Francois
  • Francois

Francois Claude went on to have kids including:

• Claude Joseph
  • Francoise Francois

(By then, my branch of the tree moved from France to Ohio, in the United States, and discovered variety in naming their kids.)

27 Likes

Feb 9, Thu of Week 7 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

• ใตใ—ใŽใฎๅ›ฝใฎใƒใƒผใƒ‰ Vol.2 Ch.6 ๆ—ฅๅ…‰(ใซใฃใ“ใ†) (start volume)

Reviewing itinerary. Trust sempai, not the locals.

• ใ†ใŸใ‚ใ‚Œใ‚‹ใ‚‚ใฎ
Words of the day
  • ใฉใ‚“ใ ใ‘(.) = how much you want = ใฉใ‚Œใ ใ‘
  • ็†ฑ็‡—(ใ‚ใคใ‹ใ‚“) = hot sake. Has Furigana.
  • ๅณจใ€…(ใŒใŒ)ใŸใ‚‹ = rugged (mountains). Has Furigana.
  • ็ด ่ฌก(ใ™ใ†ใŸใ„) = bare noh chanting. Has Furigana.
  • ่กŒ็ฏ(ใ‚ใ‚“ใฉใ‚“) = paper-covered lamp stand. Has Furigana.
  • ไฝ™่ˆˆ(ใ‚ˆใใ‚‡ใ†) = performance
  • ๅฒฉๅกŠ(ใŒใ‚“ใ‹ใ„) = lump of rock
  • ๅŽšๆ‰‹(ใ‚ใคใง) = thick (clothes; paper)
  • ่‰ฒ่ชฟ(ใ—ใใกใ‚‡ใ†) = tone of color; tonality
  • ๆคœไบ‹(ใ‘ใ‚“ใ˜) = a public prosecutor
  • ็„กๅฎŸ(ใ‚€ใ˜ใค) = guiltlessness
  • ็งป่ญฒ(ใ„ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†) = transfer. Second Kanji is from ่ญฒ(ใ‚†ใš)ใ‚‹.
  • ่›†่™ซ(ใ†ใ˜ใ‚€ใ—) = maggot; lowly human
  • ๅ–œ่‰ฒ(ใใ—ใ‚‡ใ) = joyful look. Compare with ๆฐ—่‰ฒ(ใใ—ใ‚‡ใ) which is just a look; mood.
  • ๅบฆ้‡(ใฉใ‚Šใ‚‡ใ†) = generosity; magnanimity
  • ๅƒๅค‰ไธ‡ๅŒ–(ใ›ใ‚“ใบใ‚“ใฐใ‚“ใ‹) = innumerable changes
  • ่ธ(ใต)ใฟๅ‡(ใชใ‚‰)ใ™ = to walk through enough to make the land flat. The latter Kanji has Furigana.
  • ่บซ(ใฟ)ใซใ—ใฟใ‚‹ = to sink deeply into oneโ€™s mind. Full Kanji is ่บซ(ใฟ)ใซๆŸ“(ใ—)ใฟใ‚‹ or ่บซ(ใฟ)ใซๆฒ(ใ—)ใฟใ‚‹.
  • ็ญ†่ˆŒ(ใฒใคใœใค)ใซๅฐฝ(ใค)ใใ—้›ฃ(ใŒใŸ)ใ„ = beyond description. Hard to complete with pens and words.
21 Likes

:raccoon: :books: The Tanuki Kotatsu Reading Den :snowflake: :raccoon:

February 9th
ๆ–ฐๆ›ธๅคช้–ฃ่จ˜ progress: 08.20% // Volume I: 95.09% :wood:

Words found under the kotatsu

้™ฐๆนฟใ€Œใ„ใ‚“ใ—ใคใ€ใƒผ Malicious; spiteful; wicked; devious
็ซ็ฎธใ€Œใฒใฐใ—ใ€ใƒผ Long metal chopsticks (for handling charcoal and the like)
่‹ฅๆฎฟใ€Œใ‚ใ‹ใฉใฎใ€ใƒผ Young lord; successor to the current lord

Character Name List

Probably some spoilers, but this is a historic novel, so can spoilers really exist for things that have (for the most part) actually happened :thinking:

Volume I: 1535 - 15??
(Currently 1555)
ๆ—ฅๅ‰ใ€Œใฒใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Hideyoshi (as child)
Nicknames: ็Œฟใ€Œใ•ใ‚‹ใ€/ ้‡ๅฃฒใ‚Šใ€Œใฏใ‚Šใ†ใ‚Šใ€
Name serving Nobunaga: ๆœจไธ‹ ่—คๅ‰้ƒŽใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใจใใกใ‚ใ†ใ€

Family
ๆœจไธ‹ๅผฅๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใใฎใ—ใŸ ใ‚„ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Father
โ€“ โ€“ ไน™่‹ฅใ€ŒใŠใจใ‚ใ‹ใ€- Old friend (serves under ็น”็”ฐ)
็ญ‘้˜ฟๅผฅใ€Œใกใใ‚ใฟใ€ใƒผ Step-father
ๅคงๆ”ฟๆ‰€ใ€ŒใŠใŠใพใ‚“ใฉใ“ใ‚ใ€// also ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ ใ€ŒใŠใชใ‹ใ€ใƒผ Mother
ใŠใคใฟ - Older sister
ๅฐ็ซนใ€Œใ“ใกใใ€- Baby brother
ๅŠ ่—คๆธ…ๆญฃใ€Œใ‹ใจใ† ใใ‚ˆใพใ•ใ€// also ๅผพๆญฃใ€Œใ ใ‚“ใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€- Ojisan (only distantly related (before marriage))
โ€“ Married to: ใŠใˆใค (sister of ใŠๅฅˆๅŠ )

Friends & Acquaintances
ไป็Ž‹ใ€ŒใซใŠใ†ใ€- Big kid friend
ๆ–ผ็ฆใ€ŒใŠใตใใ€(Nickname - full name: ็ฆๅคช้ƒŽใ€ŒใตใใŸใ‚ใ€) // ๆฅŠๆ™ฏ็ฆใ€Œใ‚ˆใ†ใ‘ใ„ใตใใ€(Chinese name/birth name) - Timid kid friend (older than Hideyoshi)
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅคงๅคซ ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ ใ ใ‚†ใ†ใ€// ็ฅฅ็‘žใ€Œใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใšใ„ใ€(Chinese name) - Father
โ€“ ๆขจ็ดใ€Œใ‚Šใใ‚“ใ€- Mother
ๆจๆฌก้ƒŽใ€Œใ™ใฆใ˜ใ‚ใ†ใ€- Previous servant to ไบ”้ƒŽ, later the adoptive father of ๆ–ผ็ฆ, and owner of a tea ware shop - and employer of, and master to, Hideyoshi

Hachisuka Clan
่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๅฐๅ…ญใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใ“ใ‚ใใ€(also ๆญฃๅ‹ ใ€Œใพใ•ใ‹ใคใ€) - Head of the Hachisuka clan
โ€“ ไธƒๅ†…ใ€Œใชใชใ„ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ Married to ๆพๆณขใ€Œใพใคใชใฟใ€
โ€“ โ€“ ไบ€ไธ€ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚ใ„ใกใ€- Son

Retainers:
็จฒ็”ฐๅคง็‚ŠๅŠฉใ€Œใ„ใชใ  ใŠใŠใ„ใฎใ™ใ‘]
้’ๅฑฑๆ–ฐไธƒใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใ—ใ‚“ใ—ใกใ€
้•ทไบ•ๅŠไน‹ไธžใ€ŒใชใŒใ„ ใฏใ‚“ใฎใ˜ใ‚‡ใ†ใ€
ๆพๅŽŸๅ†…ๅŒ ใ€Œใพใคใฐใ‚‰ ใŸใใฟใ€

Others:
ๅ›ฝๅ‰ใ€Œใใซใ‚ˆใ—ใ€- Gunsmith/blacksmith
ๆธก่พบๅคฉ่”ตใ€Œใ‚ใŸใชใน ใฆใ‚“ใžใ†ใ€- Deserter - Nobushi (Nephew to Koroku)
้›ฃๆณขๅ†…่จ˜ใ€Œใชใ‚“ใฐ ใชใ„ใใ€- Spy disguised as a Komuso
ไป็”ฐๅฝฆๅใ€ŒใซใฃใŸ ใฒใ“ใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ใ€- Subordinate

(่œ‚้ ˆ่ณ€ๆญฃๅˆฉใ€Œใฏใกใ™ใ‹ ใพใ•ใจใ—ใ€- previous head of the Hachisuka clan)

Saito Clan
((questionable) Alliance with the Hachisuka clan)
ๆ–Ž่—ค ้“ไธ‰ใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใฉใ†ใ•ใ‚“ใ€- Head of the Saito clan
โ€“ ๆ–Ž่—ค็พฉ้พใ€Œใ•ใ„ใจใ† ใ‚ˆใ—ใŸใคใ€(also: ้ซ˜ๆ”ฟใ€ŒใŸใ‹ใพใ•ใ€) - Son

ๆ˜Žๆ™บ ๅ…‰็ง€ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใฒใงใ€(common name: ๅๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚…ใ†ในใ„ใ€) - serves under Dosan
โ€“ ๅˆๅธ‚ใ€ŒใพใŸใ„ใกใ€- Underling / foot soldier

ๅ €็”ฐ ้“็ฉบใ€ŒใปใฃใŸ ใฉใ†ใใ†ใ€- Chief retainer
ๅผฅๅนณๆฒปๅ…‰ๆ˜ฅใ€Œใ‚„ใธใ„ใ˜ ใฟใคใฏใ‚‰ใ€- Retainer (cousin to Jyubei)
โ€“ ๆ˜Žๆ™บๅ…‰ๅฎ‰ใ€Œใ‚ใ‘ใก ใฟใคใ‚„ใ™ใ€- Father
ๆ˜ฅๆ—ฅไธนๅพŒใ€Œใ‹ใ™ใŒ ใŸใ‚“ใ”ใ€- Military commander

Oda Clan
็น”็”ฐ ไฟก้•ทใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใชใŒใ€- Leader of the Oda clan (Married to the daughter of Saito Dosan)
โ€“ ๅฏๆœˆใ€Œใ†ใฅใใ€- Nobunagaโ€™s faithful, old horse :horse:
โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก็ง€ใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใฒใงใ€- Father and previous leader of the Oda clan
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไธŽไธ‰้ƒŽใ€ŒใŠใ  ใ‚ˆใ•ใถใ‚ใ†ใ€- Younger brother
โ€“ โ€“ ็น”็”ฐไฟก่กŒใ€ŒใŠใ  ใฎใถใ‹ใคใ€(Other name: ไฟกๆˆใ€Œใฎใถใชใ‚Šใ€) - Son (half-brother to Nobunaga (different mother))

Retainers (Under Nobuhide rule):
ๅนณๆ‰‹ ๆ”ฟ็ง€ใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใฆ ใพใ•ใฒใงใ€
โ€“ ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€(nickname: ไบ”้ƒŽๅทฆใ€Œใ”ใ‚ใ†ใ–ใ€) - First son
โ€“ ็›ฃ็‰ฉใ€Œใ‘ใ‚“ใ‚‚ใคใ€- Second son
โ€“ ็”šๅทฆ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ˜ใ‚“ใ–ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Third son
โ€“ ้›จๅฎฎๅ‹˜่งฃ็”ฑใ€Œใ‚ใ‚ใฟใ‚„ ใ‹ใ’ใ‚†ใ€- Servant
ๆž— ็ง€่ฒžใ€Œใฏใ‚„ใ— ใฒใงใ•ใ ใ€(common name: ๆ–ฐไบ”้ƒŽใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ”ใ‚ใ€/ nickname: ไฝๆธกใ€Œใ•ใฉใ†ใ€) (served under Nobunaga too)
โ€“ ็พŽไฝœๅฎˆใ€Œใฟใพใ•ใ‹ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€- Younger brother
้’ๅฑฑ ไฟกๆ˜Œใ€Œใ‚ใŠใ‚„ใพ ใฎใถใพใ•ใ€(common name: ไธŽไธ‰ๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใ‚ˆใใ†ใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€)
ๅ†…่—ค ๅ‹ไป‹ใ€Œใชใ„ใจใ† ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใ™ใ‘ / ใ‹ใคใ™ใ‘ใ€

Retainers (Under Nobunaga rule):
ๆŸด็”ฐๅ‹ๅฎถใ€Œใ—ใฐใŸ ใ‹ใคใ„ใˆใ€(Nickname: ๆจฉๅ…ญใ€Œใ”ใ‚“ใ‚ใใ€)

Others:
ๅธ‚ๅทๅคงไป‹ใ€Œใ„ใกใ‹ใ‚ ใ ใ„ใ™ใ‘ใ€- Archery master/instructor
ๅนณ็”ฐไธ‰ไฝใ€Œใฒใ‚‰ใŸ ใ•ใ‚“ใฟใ€- Master of military strategy
่—คไบ•ๅˆๅณ่ก›้–€ใ€Œใตใ˜ ใ„ใพใŸใˆใ‚‚ใ‚“ใ€- Head servant

Shiba Clan
ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ็ตฑใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚€ใญใ€- Head of the Shiba clan, at Kiyosu castle
โ€“ ๆ–ฏๆณข็พฉ้Š€ใ€Œใ—ใฐ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‹ใญใ€- Son

Imagawa Clan
ไปŠๅท็พฉๅ…ƒใ€Œใ„ใพใŒใ‚ ใ‚ˆใ—ใ‚‚ใจใ€- Daimyo

Retainers:
ๆพไธ‹ไน‹็ถฑใ€Œใพใคใ—ใŸ ใ‚†ใใคใชใ€(common name: ๅŠ ๅ…ต่ก›ใ€Œใ‹ใธใ„ใ€)
้ฃฏๅฐพ่ฑŠๅ‰ใ€Œใ„ใฎใŠ ใถใœใ‚“ใ€
ๅคš่ณ€่ƒฝๅ…ซ้ƒŽใ€ŒใŸใŒใฎใ† ใฏใ—ใ‚ใ†ใ€(nickname: ่ƒฝๅ…ซใ€Œใฎใ†ใฏใกใ€)

Takeda Clan
ๅคช้ƒŽ็พฉไฟกใ€ŒใŸใ‘ใ  ใ‚ˆใ—ใฎใถใ€- Commander
(Married to the daughter of Imagawa Yoshimoto to tie the clans)

Non-affiliated
ไธŠๆณ‰ ไฟก็ถฑใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใฎใถใคใชใ€(also: ไธŠๆณ‰ ไผŠๅ‹ขๅฎˆใ€Œใ‹ใฟใ„ใšใฟ ใ„ใ›ใฎใ‹ใฟใ€) - Founder of the ๆ–ฐ้™ฐๆตใ€Œใ—ใ‚“ใ‹ใ’ใ‚Šใ‚…ใ†ใ€school of Kenjutsu
โ€“ ็–‹็”ฐๅฐไผฏใ€ŒใฒใใŸ ใ—ใ‚‡ใ†ใฏใใ€- Disciple
โ€“ ็ฅžๅพŒไบ”ๅ…ญ้ƒŽใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ” ใ”ใ‚ใใ‚ใ†ใ€- Disciple

ๅกšๅŽŸ ๅœไผใ€Œใคใ‹ใฏใ‚‰ ใผใใงใ‚“ใ€- Kensei; legendary swordsman

Historical People
  • ้˜ฟๅ€ไปฒ้บปๅ‘‚ใ€Œใ‚ใน ใฎ ใชใ‹ใพใ‚ใ€ใƒผ Japanese scholar & poet (700s)

• ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใใ‚‡ใ„ใ€ใƒผ Chinese poet (Bai Juyi / Bo Juyi) also known as: ็™ฝๆฅฝๅคฉใ€Œใฏใ ใ‚‰ใใฆใ‚“ใ€in Japan. (Late 700s)

• ้“ๅ…ƒใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ใ€(or ้“ๅ…ƒ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใฉใ†ใ’ใ‚“ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€ใƒผ Japanese Buddhist Priest, writer & poet (also known as ๆ „่ฅฟ็ฆ…ๅธซใ€Œใˆใ„ใ•ใ„ ใœใ‚“ใ˜ใ€) (Early / mid 1200s)

• ็ฉบๆตทใ€Œใใ†ใ‹ใ„ใ€ใƒผ The one and only Kukai or Kobo Daishi - a Buddhist monk. Posthumously given the title of: ๅผ˜ๆณ•ๅคงๅธซใ€Œใ“ใ†ใผใ† ใ ใ„ใ—ใ€born as: ไฝไผฏ ็œž้ญšใ€Œใ•ใˆใ ใฎ ใพใŠใ€(late 700s / early 800s)

• ๆบ้ ผๆ”ฟใ€Œใฟใชใ‚‚ใจ ใฎ ใ‚ˆใ‚Šใพใ•ใ€ใƒผ Prominent poet and warrior (1100s)

• ๅนณ ้‡็››ใ€ŒใŸใ„ใ‚‰ ใฎ ใ—ใ’ใ‚‚ใ‚Šใ€ใƒผ Military commander and court noble, claimed to be an ancestor of Oda Nobunaga (Mid-1100s)

• ๆก“ๆญฆ๏ผˆๅคฉ็š‡๏ผ‰ใ€Œใ‹ใ‚“ใ‚€๏ผˆใฆใ‚“ใฎใ†๏ผ‰ใ€ใƒผ 50th Emperor of Japan, claimed to be an ancestor of Taira no Shigemori, thus ancestor to Oda Nobunaga (Mid-Late 700s)

This is great :laughing:

I like how after many years of the Francois / Claude overtaking it finally cumulated into the ultimate Francois: Francoise Francois

22 Likes

:snowflake: Day 40, 9th of February :snowflake:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Feeling a lot better, so letโ€™s try and get back into it. Todayโ€™s page is about our two friends finding some lodging. They stop by the place the old man from last time told the about. They agree to stay at this place for this night; but first, they want some drinks!

21 Likes

home post

9th feb

iโ€ฆmeant to do this earlier. oops. granblue distracted me. anyway, made some headway into shimanami tasogare vol 4 (last one!!!) but found this one a little harder going than the last ones? some combination of that guy speaking in thick okinawa-ben in the first chapter putting me off and some conversations that were a bit harder to follow than i was expecting. but! iโ€™m enjoying it, so itโ€™s all good!

21 Likes

:bookmark: Home post // Feb 9 :snowman_with_snow: :snowflake:

ใƒป่–ฌๅฑ‹ใฎใฒใจใ‚Šใ”ใจ๏ผ“ (25% โ†’ 27%)

Another busy day. Hopefully plenty of time to read on the train during weekend.

25 Likes

February 9th

:snowman: Home post :snowflake:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 3 โ€“ progress report
Yesterday: Finished chapter 28 and continued up to page 320.
Today: Continued up to page 331.

Back to a short reading session again. I need some sleep. :sweat_smile:

So, I misunderstood the last page. Your correction makes much more sense โ€“ thank you for clarifying. :grinning:

โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“โ€“

Word or expression of the day:
ๅฏๅŠ็š„้€Ÿใ‚„ใ‹ใซ - (ใ‹ใใ‚…ใ†ใฆใใ™ใฟใ‚„ใ‹ใซ) - as soon as possible

22 Likes

:chocolate_bar: :love_letter: ๏ผ’ๆœˆ๏ผ™ๆ—ฅ :love_letter: :chocolate_bar: (Home Post Link)

Going to the arcade tonight, so didnโ€™t have quite as much study time. Still squeezed in a ch though

Read

• ไธ‰ใƒ„ๆ˜Ÿใ‚ซใƒฉใƒผใ‚บ ch 6 - it felt like about 50% of the text in this chapter was puns/wordplay. I wasnโ€™t sure if I was just like totally missing what was happening or if it was confusing because they werenโ€™t really making much sense, so I went to read it in english and saw this lovely translators note:
    So it appears to not have just been me that was struggling :laughing: I also see the book club had a fun time with this one

Word of the Day
็ฌนใ€Œใ•ใ•ใ€ใƒผ bamboo grass

22 Likes

Day 38
I continued reading the second volume of Kindaichi Shounen. This volume is pretty long around 250 pages. Like in Detective Conan the solutions to the cases are ridiculous and wouldnโ€™t actually work in real life.

2837 pages read this year

19 Likes

After the JoJo Volume 5 trial by lore dump, I went back to One Punch Man and managed to get through the section that had been keeping me from reading. I know this arc is really good and the anime didnโ€™t do it justice so I am happy to finally be over the hump. So One Punch Man is back on the menu, however its gonna be the manga that I read when I finish ๆŽจใ—ใฎๅญ probably.

My daily schizo post will come later today as usual but that was a big deal for me to finally get past a section that seemed impossible before.

14 Likes

February 9th!

Today I read 1 chapter of Shadows House.
I was aiming for 2 chapters today to bring me back in line with the book club - but at the end of last week I was two chapters behind, and now Iโ€™m only one chapter behind so thats still progress :slight_smile:
I shouldnโ€™t have any trouble catching up next week, I only fell behind because I wasnโ€™t paying enough attention and missed the first week of the new volume. :sweat_smile:

(Home Post)

22 Likes

Home

Played ใใฟใฎใพใก ใƒใƒซใƒ†ใ‚ฃใ‚ข again today. Finally completed the bridge to the Eufaula Desert, so now I can romance Arlo without worrying about missing his quest!

Iโ€™d meant to start ใ“ใฎๆœฌใ‚’็›—ใ‚€่€…ใฏ today, but uh, yeah, didnโ€™t happen lol

20 Likes

Hereโ€™s my daily schizo post. So I am about 36% done with ๆŽจใ—ใฎๅญ็ฌฌ4ๅทป and finished my bit of ๅคœใฏ็Ÿญใ—ๆญฉใ‘ใ‚ˆไน™ๅฅณ for the day. Feeling pretty good now, and limited my word look ups to stuff that blocked me from understanding but I seemed to have gotten everything going on regardless.

15 Likes

February 9 :snowflake: Home Post

Oops I accidentally ended up busy again today :joy: I got more ๅฑฑ็Œซ in today though, so that was cool. It all continues to be very interesting :eyes:

Indeed, it all counts! Weโ€™re getting there :muscle:

Is it bad that this kind of makes me want to read this book :joy:

23 Likes

If you like these things, then have yourself some Aozora :joy_cat:

Just watch out for the ๆ–ฐๅญ—ๆ—งไปฎๅ label (new kanji, old kana) in the list of works of a given author (e.g. here is the list for Mori Ogai: ไฝœๅฎถๅˆฅไฝœๅ“ใƒชใ‚นใƒˆ๏ผšๆฃฎ ้ดŽๅค–) or if you are really up for a challenge, then ๆ—งๅญ—ๆ—งไปฎๅ it is.
plus you might want some grammar resources depending on what youโ€™re reading :rofl:

Let us know how it goes!

11 Likes

February ๏ผ™ :heavy_check_mark: :fox_face:

็‹็ซใฎ่พป, 51-70%

Finished the ไฝ•ใง chapter and Iโ€™m halfway through the ไฝ•ๆ•… chapter. Things are starting to fall into place, but now a more central mystery is being gradually revealed. Meanwhile, I still have no idea why this man, who weโ€™re constantly reminded has unkempt hair, a squint, and uneven, yellowed teeth, uses ใ‚ใŸใ— for himself. Maybe his whole way of speaking supports it and it just flies over my head? All in all, at 70% of the book youโ€™d think Iโ€™d know more about the main characters, but theyโ€™re only main in that theyโ€™re recurring, and their role in all this is clearer than most. There are fragments from all sorts of points of view, but unlike Eugenia, they only serve as glimpses and teasers, not as a way to get to know that person in depth. Itโ€™s not that the characters feel two-dimensional, just that they still feel like strangers.

:rofl: Not at all, but I wouldnโ€™t recommend the book just for that, as it was only the ones I posted that Iโ€™ve come across so far. Just a short paragraph really, and a few others with older writing style and vocabulary but no special characters. Aozora would definitely be a better bet.

22 Likes

I guess I wonโ€™t be able to finish ้—‡็ฅ“ before the compulsive readerโ€˜s club starts a new book (tomorrow :scream:), but Iโ€™m at 35% now. And I feel kind of bad for hating on the ending of the first chapter so much. Chapter 2 is a lot of fun.

We left school (actually itโ€™s a completely different setting, different characters, everything), and I like it. Itโ€™s about niceness, fake niceness, over-the-top niceness to a point where itโ€™s obviously done with an underlying motive, and Iโ€™m really looking forward to seeing how this chapter will end. Surely the ้—‡็ฅ“ใ„ (hence the title) will make an appearance again, to have an overarching theme, but I hope we will have less โ€žexplaining negative character traits away by supernatural stuffโ€œ / โ€žtheyโ€™re just that way because theyโ€™re not human, obviously no human could be like thatโ€œ.

But thereโ€™s already a lot of mystery going on. And lots of weird undertones. Hoping for a real plot twist regarding the mysterious suicide at the beginning, and the suspicious Designer couple. Surely they must be involved! My theory is theyโ€™re luring people into the building and if they donโ€™t fit their perfect ใƒžใƒžใŠ่Œถไผš world theyโ€™re ostracized and driven to commit suicide. Haha.

24 Likes

home post

10th feb

forced myself to slow down today, partly cos i have other stuff iโ€™m supposed to be doing later but also cos if i donโ€™t iโ€™ll burn out :+1: read a couple chapters more of shimanami tasogare vol 4, some more characters with okinawa-ben but reading over it a few times helped me get the gist (or rather realise what i was looking at). also very strange reading a book set at christmas when weโ€™re in february!

words that stood out: ่ถณใŒใ‹ใ‚Š (ใ‚ใ—ใŒใ‹ใ‚Š, foothold), ไบ‘ใ€… (ใ†ใ‚“ใฌใ‚“, and so on, etc.), ๅฎ‰ใ‚‰ใ (ใ‚„ใ™ใ‚‰ใ, to feel at ease)

21 Likes