🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

February 22nd!

Today I listened to Episode 2 of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate Series 1.
The dialogue was about two friends comparing their bonuses - it was a pretty short dialogue in this episode, but I learned some new words from them breaking it down :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

11 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 22

Listened to Teppei for beginners #59 and played BU$TAFELLOWS ~1.5h

11 Likes

Feb 23, Thu of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.4 [4/5]. Services. Delivery.

おいしいごはんが食べられますように [12/12].

Gotta find what to listen to next. Youtube (Premium) probably works, but I need listen-only-ok channels.

9 Likes

New マタタビムービーラボ!

This one was mostly understandable (and hilarious), though I’m finding that I mostly understand only through context with the animation and the handful of words I recognise in each sentence, full comprehension still seems like forever away.

11 Likes

More big listening yesterday. First, I listened to a GLOBIS podcast about evidence based policy making and education policy. They were talking at break-neck speed, so much so that I started wondering if they sped up the episode to make it shorter?

For example this guy at 4:00. Boy is it exhausting to listen to. But still better than the guy in the other episode who spoke so unclear I coulnd’t understand him. :smiley:

Well, after that I listened to another episode about mindfulness and meditation, which was much more relaxed and also much easier to understand (less big politics words).

11 Likes

:snowflake: Day 54, 23rd of February :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode #47 of PiroPito Minecraft.

10 Likes

February 23rd!

Just a tiny listen today since I ended up working pretty late.
An episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

1 hour and a half thus far. Japanese with K and Miku Real Japanese podcasts. I understood most of the first podcast for JWK but then I barely got what he was talking about with ChatGPT. He speaks slowly but he was using a lot of new vocabulary. Miku Real Japanese, I understood most of her podcast as well since she spoke about humility in Japanese culture. Living here you really understand this.

11 Likes

Watched Confidence Man JP プリンセス編 yesterday. It was really fun. I thought it was the first movie in the series but actually there was a movie before it and a drama series before that. Which explains why the characters seemed to have established pasts with each other. I won’t watch the drama since its not available for streaming except renting on Amazon (which I am not THAT in love with the series yet).

It is funny to listen to Japanese people pretend to be from Singapore by speaking English really badly. xD

11 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 23

Today it was just listening to the voice acting from playing BU$TAFELLOWS about 2h.

11 Likes

Feb 24, Fri of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.4 [5/5].

I listened to a few tracks of ガラスのうさぎ, which I am now reading somewhat intensively. I don’t find my listening improved in a significant way; not that I looked up a lot of vocabularies in reading either. Maybe comprehension is better if I listen more carefully.

8 Likes

:snowflake: Day 55, 24th of February :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode #49 of PiroPito Minecraft.

10 Likes

February 22 :heavy_multiplication_x:

February 23 :arrow_forward:
Random half-finished youtube videos. Better than nothing.

February 24 :film_strip:
Rewatched the first episode of 最愛 without any subtitles. Some characters I understood fairly well, others almost not at all. My comprehension is definitely better than a few months ago, but still not at the level where I could watch something without subtitles and not miss important stuff.
Also another (subtitled) episode of Heaven and Hell.

10 Likes

February 24th!

I had a class with my teacher today. We did a listening comprehension exercise, practised some grammar and had lots of fun conversations.

I also listened to Lesson 3 of JapanesePod101’s Lower Intermediate Series.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Feb 25, Sat of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.5 [1/5].

Samurai Champloo EP.5 (no sub yet), but I haven’t really decided an anime / drama to stick with yet.

First 3 tracks of 吾輩は猫である (1.5 chapters), which I have listened to before. Also, ignoring (half-ignoring) Kanji when having Furigana, is probably the key to reading.

9 Likes

I watched a video on ‘3 books to read in your teens’ and unsurprisingly I’d heard of none of them and safely dodged any urge to add things to my 積読 pile :relieved:

It was unusually easy to understand for ほんタメ though. They’re not the hardest, but I usually have to pay closer attention to follow their discussions and this one was very straight forward. Maybe because it was less their feelings and impressions and more a straight forward ‘this is the plot’.

edit: I saw the horrible AI voice anime heads I was complaining about again

They have multiple channels and it doesn’t always show the heads before you click in. They drive me mad.

10 Likes

It’s free software japanese people use to make YouTube videos without having to do the heavy lifting Vtubers gotta do. I forget the name of the software but my wife told me about it when I asked why these characters were so common.

8 Likes

Feb 26, Sun of Week 9 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.5 [2/5].

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 [1-2/17]. Track 1 is just 登場人物. The audio is in 聴き放題. I have also bought Bookwalker counterpart. I’ve found this one from searching the forum for N3 audiobook.

また、同じ夢を見ていた is also in 聴き放題, with the same author as 君の膵臓をたべたい; but I don’t like a female voice. So, maybe later.

I would put 吾輩は猫である on hold for a little longer. Harder to follow, even with text. With reading alone, I am still probably not good enough.

9 Likes

February 25th and 26th!

I was on a trip this weekend, so I did listen on both days but didn’t manage to post an update yesterday.

Yesterday I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei, and also lots of Japanese music while we were travelling.

Today I listened to an episode of JapanesePod 101’s Lower Intermediate Season 1.

(Home Post)

10 Likes

I was looking for something else when I came across a TV special based on a 宮部みゆき book uploaded to youtube. Since it hasn’t been copyright struck yet I wonder if they simply don’t care as much about (presumably) early 2000s made-for-TV movies.

Anyways, @omk3 , from what I’ve watched thus far (around 9 min) I think you’ll like it and it’s fairly approachable I’d say. Slow and clear narration, dialogue (excusing a few small points) is likewise clear and not too complex. 宮部みゆきスペシャル 魔術はささやく - YouTube

Also, I popped open Viki to see what new they had and found 教祖のムスメ which I watched the first episode ages ago, really liked it, and true to form, never finished it. It looks good though for anyone looking for a mystery/suspense high school drama (no comedy aspect, rather dark IIRC): Master's Daughter | Japan | Drama | Watch with English Subtitles & More ✔️

11 Likes