🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

November 28 :film_strip:

I need to find some captivating series again asap, or I’ll waste too much time trying to find something interesting to watch every day. That’s what happened today: I spent too much time browsing and rejecting stuff. In the end, I settled for the first episode of Aggretsuko. I had watched it before, so I tried it without subtitles. There were bits I didn’t get at all, but in general I got the gist.

I had started watching it some time ago, and really enjoyed it. Even downloaded the first volumes of the manga when it was free on Bookwalker. And then I’m not sure what happened, it may have been something unrelated to the anime itself, but I just lost interest. Let me check…right, I stopped on episode 11. I might try continuing. :thinking:

9 Likes

Have you tried Viki at all? It’s free with ads if you don’t want to subscribe, although I think some shows are behind a pay wall (ones currently airing in Japan I think?)

It’s full of trash but I personally love a trash drama and they have the benefit of sometimes being quite easy to follow.

Other times it’s chock full of slang though, so ymmv.

7 Likes

I had a quick look once, but the thumbnails for the shows were all so horribly tacky, I just didn’t know how to go about choosing anything. But thanks for reminding me, because there’s at least ミステリと言う勿れ that I would probably be interested in. I may try it tomorrow.

9 Likes

Can’t remember if I met up with Teppi on Sunday.
I did a mock N5 listening test and got a good score even though a lot of them are more educated guesses than fully comprehending them.
This time next week it will all be over and I’ll either be pondering N4 next July, or wondering why I bothered.

Only 3 days left in the challenge! :smiling_face_with_tear:

9 Likes

:sound: 11月28日
YUYUの日本語Podcast ― Vol.30- ゲスト:かいと「好きなこと:JAZZ」
YUYUの日本語Podcast ― Vol.31- 好きなこと:ゲーム「PUBG」
YUYUの日本語Podcast ― Vol.32- 村おこし:田舎館村(いなかだてむら)「田んぼアート」
YUYUの日本語Podcast ― Vol.33- 私は神様を信じる?

As predicted, got a bunch of listening done while going for a walk this morning. It’s quite cold outside already ;-; .

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 59, 28th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Watched episode 10 of あかがみんクラフトclassic. Too tired for much else.

10 Likes

Main post

Unfortunately, on November 27 I haven’t listened to anything.

On November 28 I’ve:

• Relistened to Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners episodes 66 – 70.
10 Likes

November 28th!

2 more episodes of Ajin today.
I was planning to watch more, but I’ve been really sleepy all day so I never managed to.

(Home Post)

9 Likes

Watched Goblin Slayer episode 1. I had pretty much given up on the reading because they use a lot of different words for the same things, so I felt the descriptions were kind of getting in the way. Watching it it was much more easy to understand. I hope I can reach the level to read it someday but I am not sure how I am gonna get that vocab outside of Goblin Slayer xD Like theres 5 different words for skull used in the same chapter. Idk. Watching has been better, so I will probably do that when I am not reading.

7 Likes

Watched The Door Into Summer on Netflix today and loved it. Best movie ever? No. Did I actually sit still and watch a full 2 hour long movie? Yes.

I actually loved the book as a kid but had forgotten most of it except of course the cat who longs for summer. Reading over the summary I’m really happy with how they adapted it. Belle being named 鈴 (りん) is perfect, and several other small details are just lovely.

I admit the business-y bits were a bit vague for me. If I’d bothered to pause and make sense of the kanji I probably would have had a firmer grasp, but I got the gist and I wasn’t really in the mood to puzzle out business stuff.

Anyways, I think it’s a Netflix original so regardless of country should be available!

8 Likes

November 29 :headphones:

Audiobook day today, a bit less than an hour of 体育館の殺人. I’m still having trouble coordinating listening, reading and understanding. I don’t know how people do it with Japanese subtitles, but I’m still nowhere near the stage where I can do all three at the same time. I can concentrate on reading, I can listen with some degree of comprehension (depending on vocabulary), but trying to do both and understand at the same time is hard. They’re obviously very different skills that can’t be combined yet. So what I mostly did was listen to each sentence, pause, read the sentence, look up whatever needed to be looked up, then move on. For some sentences, which grew more towards the end, I could get away without pausing. I guess like with any exercise, a warm-up helps. I apparently needed about an hour of warm-up, but still.

10 Likes

:sound: 11月29日
YUYUの日本語Podcast , Vol. 34-38.

5 episodes today. Suddenly I have a lot of time to listen to things :joy: . I’m going to try to listen as much as possible (and I feel like) until I start getting a bit bored of YUYU, but so far it’s been very entertaining so I’ll keep going. I don’t think I’ll bother with a podcast that I don’t feel the same about anymore, there’s like a myriad of them anyway.

8 Likes

Nov 29, Tue of Week 10 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

I barely listened yesterday. Well, I did watch some of NHK stuff from this thread.

Today I watched an episode of Pokemon. Rocket did relatively well, only to be killed by small things doing Folk Dance. I tried to remember Rocket’s catchphrase a little.

I will try more tomorrow.

8 Likes

It helps to have a text where you already have a high level of sight understanding (ie, no/few lookups). This is also where the listen + read/listen technique comes in handy because the first go round already has you primed with some information (but a good deal can still be vague) and then the second go round you get the same audio but with the added context of the text. Some people even do listen > read > listen+read, but that’s clearly more intensive :sweat_smile:

Listening takes awhile to build up!

7 Likes

Dog walk with Teppi in the morning, N5 drill section after work.

I do like the Teppi podcasts but at the moment it seems I’m in a run of episodes where the theme of ‘listen to podcasts a lot’ is recurring

8 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 60, 29th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode 11 of あかがみんクラフトclassic. It’s hard to find something to say. Maybe I’m just tired.

10 Likes

Short question: what’s the opinion on definition of “listening” when it’s with subs? I feel like it’s both since hearing and reading/seeing it kind of glues it together. It feels like half-half.
Not sure if I mention watching subbed stuff here or in the read thread. :thinking:

Nov 26 - today:
Watched some Atashinchi on YT as well as rewatched 2 episodes of Shin Atashinchi, 2 episodes of the Mob Psycho 100 live action and 4 episodes of Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku (but with subs)
And a couple of random shorter Youtube videos.

10 Likes

I think that really depends on how you want to count it. I count watching a TV show with JP subs as listening, but reading a book alongside the audiobook as reading. My rationale is that I don’t always follow the subs when watching a TV show, but I almost always am looking at the book when doing a read along. Some people don’t count anything with text support as listening.

Whatever works best for you!

10 Likes

It’s personal and different for everyone. I count anything with Japanese audio as listening. Without this challenge I’d listen to anything Japanese only rarely, as I’m more of a reader, so any exposure counts. I almost always watch with subtitles, because if it’s anything remotely interesting I quickly get frustrated when I don’t understand and want to quit, which defeats the purpose. I do try to focus on the sound more than the text, but for me even very passive background listening counts - it’s still exposure, and I’m sure it’s still entering my brain somehow.

Now, do Japanese subs count as reading? Again it’s personal. I probably wouldn’t count them myself, because I don’t actually read them from start to finish, only refer to them for confirmation. But again, it’s up to you. Reading along with an audiobook I count both as listening and as reading, and mention on both threads.

10 Likes

November 30 :film_strip:

One episode of ミステリと言う勿れ on Viki. It was a lot of fun. Low budget and at times a little on the sentimental/preachy side, but also very funny and moderately suspenseful. The main character is very entertaining to watch. It was also a nice Japanese nuance lesson, what with highlighting the difference between 真実 and 事実, and basing a deduction on the use of そこ instead of あそこ.

@pocketcat and anyone else reading 体育館の殺人: I see some similarities in the way the detectives’ skills are depicted… :eyes:
(also, unrelated, but did the detective at the end walk in the apartment with shoes on? :scream:)

I can’t believe it’s the end of the official challenge already! Where did the time go? The new challenge will start January 1st, but meanwhile feel free to continue posting here if you so wish. As for me, I’ll be doing some minor listening as part of my Origami Advent Calendar, but I may also continue with ミステリと言う勿れ when I have the time.

9 Likes