🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

I listened to another chapter of 崩れる脳を抱きしめて | L36 and I’m puzzled by its rating of 36. Perhaps it will come swinging out of no where with some wild vocab, but so far it’s only a smidge of medical stuff and largely quite smooth, easy writing otherwise. I’d say it’s even easier than 仮面病棟 | L34 (which I think should be 32/33, but I digress) which is by the same author.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 27th:

Finished listening to yesterday’s podcast episode, as well as the story I was in the middle of on Satori Reader. The nihongo SWITCH episode was about opposing words whose kanji are put together to mean different things; for example, 右+左=左右. I think what I like most is the breadth of examples Iku gives for each kanji pairing: you get a pretty full sense of each one’s usage.

11 Likes

Half-term week. Was a really busy day with actual work and my unofficial Dad’s taxi work. Only managed to listen to a couple of minute long Genki dialog last thing at night. Though I did learn to pronounce 答えました as こーたえーました rather than こたーえました (which sounds really weird now I say it out loud!)

10 Likes

October 28 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Another episode of Parasyte (things are happening!) and more pitch training. I got from level 26 to 30, and I’m quite proud that I had two 30-card sessions with only one mistake each, and two more with only two. I haven’t had a perfect run yet, but close enough I guess.

11 Likes

I guess, I’m gonna join in extra late.

I have neglected my listening comprehension nearly completely. I am not able to understand Japanese at a natural pace even after about 4 years of studying.
Hope this keeps me at it for a while. I’m aiming for N3 in the next summer, so I have to catch up a bit.

Not sure what I will be listening to though.
Guess I’ll start with some videos YouTube recommends me today and look over what you guys did over the next few days.

Oct
01 02
03 04 05 06 07 08 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07[?] 08[?] 09[?] 10[?] 11[?] 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
October Week 5/6 (Oct 28 - Oct 31)
  • 28th Oct
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 40 minutes
  • 29th Oct
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 40+ minutes
  • 30th Oct
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 40+ minutes
  • 31st Oct
    • Watched ~3 episodes Made in Abyss without subtitles
November Week 1 (Nov 1 - Nov 6)
  • 1st Nov
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 20+ minutes
  • 2nd Nov
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 20+ minutes
  • 3rd Nov
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 40+ minutes (mostly passiv)
  • 4th Nov
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 20+ minutes (mostly passiv)
  • 5th Nov
    • Watched a Persona 4 Let’s Play for 20+ minutes (mostly passiv)
    • Watched 15min of a Comprehensible Japanese video
  • 6th Nov
    • Listened and watched news from various sources for about 20min
November Week 2 (Nov 7 - Nov 13)
  • 7th Nov
    • Too tired: Only 2-3 V-tuber clips with Japanese subs
  • 8th Nov
    • Too tired: Only 2-3 V-tuber clips with English subs
  • 9th Nov
    • same
  • 10th Nov
    • same
  • 11thNov
    • same [actually that is just normal and no additional task]
  • 12th Nov
    • NHK news
    • Comprehensible Japanese [2 videos]
  • 13th Nov
    • Comprehensible Japanese [1 video]
November Week 3 (Nov 14 - Nov 20)
  • 14th Nov
    • Three Tadoku books of increasing difficulty
  • 15th Nov
    • One Comprehensible Japanese video [intermediate]
    • One Tadoku book [2]
  • 16th Nov
  • 17th Nov
    • One Comprehensible Japanese video at 1.1 speed [intermediate]
  • 18thNov
  • 19th Nov
  • 20th Nov
Current goto-resources
  • Comprehensible Japanese Slowly and clearly spoken 10min videos. Probably a bit too easy [My level: Intermediate]
  • Tadoku free books [My level: 2]
Tested resources
Further testing
Rejected resources
  • Made in Abyss (Anime): Early on rather simple, gets pretty difficult and too fast paced after some episodes. Starting with the descend
  • NHK Easy: While understandable, I can not stand the artificial voice
Resources to test

Sorted by priority

Stats

Current Streak: 3
Longest Streak: 10
Total day learned: 13
Last Updated: 13th November

12 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 28, 28th of Otober :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Just some Supernative today. Just because the clips are short doesn’t mean the activity isn’t energy intensive. When you have no context for the words because you’re missing vocabulary, then it really will be just a word salad.

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 28th I’ve listened to:

• Today’s NHK Easy News
  • Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 664-669
11 Likes

October 28th!

Today I had a lesson with my tutor. We talked about weddings and then practised various phrases that use 気 like 気をつける、気がつく、気に入る etc.

I also listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners - it was about dictionaries.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

October 28th:

Not in a great mood today, to be honest. I watched the first episode of Vampire in the Garden, an anime miniseries I found on Netflix. I could, in general, tell you what happened during the episode. However, I don’t think I understood even half of what was being said. I just feel frustrated. Maybe I’d have done better with Japanese subtitles on (I decided to try watching without any), but that kind of tells me that my listening is still weaker than I want it to be. I might do Satori Reader later just to make myself feel better, but right now…I don’t know.

Here’s a trailer for those interested:

11 Likes

Oct 29, Sat of Week 5 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I listened to a music video, with simplified Chinese sub (which I can’t read) and JP sub (which some simplified Chinese variants sneaked in). Nonetheless, the scene is in Japanese.

Then, I watched this one from 日本語の森. Sensei is as cute as ever. I listened fine without sub, but there is a hideable sub / transcript (not auto-generated), nonetheless. Chat Replay has to be manually clicked to show.

This is another song mentioned in the clip.

I also watched another 日本語の森 song introduction clip – 猫 / DISH//【日本の歌で日本語を勉強しよう #04】 - YouTube

Yesterday, perhaps I watched 2 episodes of HUNTER x HUNTER, and 1 old episode of Death Note; but I cleaned the generated sub further, and then got me curious about MC('s injury)… so I peeked from every episodes to last episode (EP.92 of 1999 adaptation of HUNTER x HUNTER). Then, I looked at the manga, just-at-the-end equivalent, and then some 15 volumes later.

11 Likes

Again, not much done yesterday, the powers of avoidance were strong. Found a resource mentioned on another thread for JLPT N5 practice audio. Quality is quite poor and uses some vocab that isn’t any I learnt, armpit for example! But I’ve listened to my n5 stuff.

8 Likes

Something I constantly struggle with is hearing times. (I guess only important at the moment for N5 test)
Does anyone know of any resources similar to this one for numbers: Japanese practice numbers

6 Likes

Today I practiced with SuperNative again which is fun. I can’t understand and fill in anything besides です and か but I really enjoy the exercise. I feel like I am improving in writing and reading. Sometimes I even recognize some Kanji.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 29, 29th of October :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

More Supernative. I admit I really rushed it so I could go back to reading Kiki. :smile:
But I’ll definitely keep at it, because I get really frustrated with my listening comprehension. When I think I really nailed every syllable, the transcription comes along and shows I basically missed half of it. So now I’m gonna spite-study so even the mumbliest of mumbling actors can’t faze me!

12 Likes

October 29th!

Today I watched an episode of Madoka Magica with Japanese Subs and also watched the final video in JapanesePod101s 800 Core Words series.
I need to find something similar to replace it, since its been really handy to have on in the background to half listen to while I’m writing my diary.

(Home Post)

11 Likes

October 29 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Some Migaku (level 30 → 31) and two episodes of Parasyte. Still fun (loved the difference in speech between the parasite that kearned ftom books and the one that learned from TV), but I’m not sure I’m liking the direction it’s taking ( the main character turning from a timid kid to some kind of superhero). I’ll give it a couple more episodes in any case, see how it goes.

11 Likes

Main post

On October the 29th I’ve listened to:

• Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 670-672.
12 Likes

October 30 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Up one more level of Migaku (still no perfect run) and two episodes of Parasyte. It’s definitely changed in tone (it’s another “chapter” of the story after all) but it’s still keeping my interest, so I’ll continue watching. Ended on another cliffhanger too…

12 Likes

Hmm struggling to remember!
I did some JLPT N5 exercises from a site and then practiced listening to numbers on another site.
Wasn’t an ideal day tbh.

7 Likes

Just checking, there’s not transcripts for Nihongoconteppi is there?

2 Likes