📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Nov 11, Fri of Week 7 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• かがみの孤城 (上) 54% => 62% (Finished Ch.4 August)

Finished “first semester”. Although I didn’t look up that much, it takes quite some energy and time to read; but continued because it’s a peak of the story (引き()った笑み :smiling_face:).

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221111 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 73.04% :cucumber:

The new guest leaves but Master’s friend remains, the conversation continues and they become an unstoppable conversational entity from which there is no escape.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

贔負「ひいき」ー Favour; patronage; favouritism
奮発「ふんぱつ」ー Strenuous exertion; spurt; splurge

20 Likes

11 November 2022

:house: Home Post

17 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 11 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (71% → 78%)

Either the side stories are super long or it’s me who don’t have enough time to read them :durtle_durtverted_lvl1:

Spoiler: A bit bummed out finding out that ダームエル and ブルギッテ didn’t get together during the 星結び. Oh well. I thought it would work out after the sneak peek of them talking together in the woods a year back, but I guess fate has something else in store for them instead.

23 Likes

:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: Carouseal’s Home Post :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

Coming into this late but I want to start reading more n_n

Nov
01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Links

BookMeter
Natively

Reading List
Currently Reading
:shinto_shrine: 神さまがまちがえる Manga 神さまがまちガえる Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)
:calendar: Hobonichi Weeks Quotes 📆 Hobonichi 2022・Translating a quote a day - #3 by carouseal
:purple_heart: Pokemon Violet Game
Want to Read
:coffee: 夜カフェ Novel 夜カフェ ☕ Home Thread (Beginner Book Club)
:carrot: 大好きな野菜大好きな料理 Cookbook Available at library
:microbe: Cells at Work!! Manga Cells at Work! 🦠 Book Club ・ Starting November 26!
:sleeping_bed:t4: また、同じ夢を見ていた Novel Available at library
Overview Log
11.11.2022 :shinto_shrine: :calendar: :nesting_dolls: :roller_coaster:
11.12.2022 :shinto_shrine: :coffee: :nesting_dolls:
11.13.2022 :broom: :speaking_head:
11.14.2022 :broom: :speaking_head:
11.15.2022 :calendar: :owl:
11.16.2022 :broom:
11.17.2022 :broom:(done!)
11.18.2022 :purple_heart:(start!)
11.19.2022 :shinto_shrine: :purple_heart:
11.20.2022 :shinto_shrine: :purple_heart: :speaking_head:
11.21.2022 :purple_heart:
11.22.2022 :purple_heart:
11.23.2022 :purple_heart:
11.24.2022 :purple_heart:
11.25.2022 :purple_heart:
11.26.2022 :shinto_shrine:
11.28.2022 :speaking_head:
11.29.2022 :microbe: :calendar:
Additional Studying

Because I’m not really doing enough yet to make a whole thread about it but I still want to keep track of my non-reading studies

:nesting_dolls: Cure Dolly
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 8b 09
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

:roller_coaster: リラックマと遊園地
01 02[IP] 03 04 05 06 07 08

:speaking_head: Nihongo con Teppei

:owl: Duolingo

Daily Template

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 2022 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

25 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 42, 11th of November :maple_leaf:

:open_book: Back to my Home Post

Managed to read two DrDru stories today, one about counters, which was very helpful, and one about the Rattenfänger von Hameln. Interestingly he demanded to be payed in €uro, which didn’t exist back then, so no wonder nobody paid him. :laughing:

20 Likes

November 11th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Last time’s progress: read up to page 113
Today: read up to page 127

Do I have access to Aria again? Yes. Did my work trip murder my sleep schedule leaving me too tired to read much yet again? Yes. That’s why I only read a few pages today. :disappointed:
I hope that a good night’s sleep can restore some of my energy to make it possible for me to make a bit more progress tomorrow.

Some words of note

妖術 (ようじゅつ) black magic, witchcraft, sorcery
どうせ after all
電動 (でんどう) electric
迷いこむ (まよいこむ) to go astray, to lose one’s way

22 Likes

I’ve read a couple pages of また、同じ夢を見ていた. Not as many as I wanted to because I read this on my kindle before bed. So I’m always fighting against falling asleep, especially if I get to bed a bit later. :sweat_smile:

I read almost 2 volumes of Wataten. Which is more than the average over the last days. It’s fun and a fairly easy read so chourning through a volume can be quick.
I wanted finish volume 6 today but I’m watching CS:GO Rio Major instead.

The other manga I’m currently progressing through is Nausica and it’s quite the opposite. Lots of text and a lot of it isn’t so easy. Definitely more taxing and a lot slower to go through. Haven’t touched it for a few days because I’m addicted to the other one at the moment.

21 Likes

November 11 :heavy_check_mark: :rose:

ユージニア, 10-17%

I started reading this week’s Eugenia today, intending for it to take a couple of days, then all of a sudden I had finished the whole chapter :eyes:
It continues to be perfect - I love the writing style, I love the vague air of intrigue, the very slow trickle of little clues, the constant feeling of uncertainty and double-guessing over nothing in particular. Just perfect. I really hope it continues as well as it started.

23 Likes

Today I didn’t have much time for reading but I still managed to finish the 14 chapter in the Monobeno visual novel.

19 Likes

November 11th!

Today I read Chapter 30 of Happiness, finishing Volume 6.
This volume was much more chill than the previous ones, and I actually enjoyed it a lot more. I suspect Volume 7 will be back to the faster pace and usual themes though!

(Home Post)

21 Likes

Home Post
:maple_leaf: :teddy_bear: :carousel_horse: 11.11.2022 金曜日 :carousel_horse: :teddy_bear: :maple_leaf:

Today was rainy and cold so I stayed home all day :sweat_smile: lots of time for Japanese

I really wanted to read more of my 魔女の宅急便 manga, but I left it in my desk at work >_<
:calendar: Instead, I decided I’d start doing a weekly translation for the quote in my Hobonichi Weeks and did the one for this week.
:shinto_shrine: I also started reading a bit ahead for the 神さまがまちがえる bookclub since I may not have as much free time next week. I was really struggling through some of the dialogue, but it looks like the end of this week’s reading is a bit less kanji dense so hopefully it will be a bit smoother once I get through this section.

22 Likes

:lady_beetle: Home :lady_beetle:

November 11

人間椅子 -

ジョジョの奇妙な冒険48
96 - 110

My eyes weren’t handling screens well so I switched back to good old physical JoJo. It’s quite a fun part where Giorno is trying to hide the lighter from Koichi because Giorno thought Koichi would be a responsible guy and put out a flame in an “unoccupied” room. I don’t recall this reasoning in the anime, but my memory could just be faulty. I thought it was a cute and human touch in such an out there story.

21 Likes

Home Post

Day 2 Progress: お隣の天使様 二冊 - 21.39%

One of the most frustrating aspects of reading so far for me has been more of a personal one-- that in trying to decipher what a line or passage means, I’ll hyperfixate on one way of thinking so hard I’ll miss fairly obvious answers.

Take a line from today’s passage: 真昼ちゃんの事名前呼びする-- when I got to 事名前, my brain fizzled out and for a good 45 seconds I went: “…じめいぜん?” Imagine my embarrassment when I entered the line into jpdb…

…Other than that though it was a pretty smooth reading day. except for the part where Mahiru was being dressed in Japanese formalwear and I was looking up clothing-related terms every third word.

Word of the Day: 仏頂面 - sour look; surly face; pout. The word’s definition certainly seems to contradict its components.

23 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 11th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Took the day off, mostly. Sat at home wrapped up in blankets, had some tea and medicine, and played a lot of p5r.

Read:

• Tae Kim 228 → 235 – making comparisons with 方 and よる. I’ve definitely seen this a lot, but it’s a pretty fundamentally different underlying structure than English, so will probably take more conscious effort to notice when and how it’s used for real.
  • からかい上手の高木さん chapter 23
Good Words

逆上がり「さかあがり」ー back hip circle (gymnastics)
確認「かくにん」ー confirmation

22 Likes

Home

I’m glad actually that the 不機嫌なモノノケ庵 set I’d bought off eBay didn’t include 18.5, because otherwise I wouldn’t have discovered that there was also a 6.5. Well, unless it included 6.5 too, but I only saw the one that included a bonus, and it was 18.5 (though it wasn’t a set, it was one where you choose which vol(s) you want, and 18.5 was sold out). But that’s what led to me looking for 18.5 on Manga Republic last night and finding 6.5 as well. Unfortunately 18.5 isn’t exactly one of their cheap manga (although certainly not one of the most expensive either), but it was cheaper than anywhere else I found it, so. Well, there was one seller on Amazon US that was cheaper, but while their reviews are majority positive, there are quite a few that make me leery of buying from them…

Anyway, I finished vol 5 today and read through 二十五ノ怪 in vol 6. Nobou’s story got to me more than it did in the anime. Dunno if I’m just more emotional now or what, but yeah. After that, Hanae loses his ability to see youkai for longer than he should have after lending it to a youkai who can’t see on her own while in the Utsushiyo, and Abeno’s worried about him, but he’s not good with people nor does he particularly like them, and he doesn’t really know how to show he’s worried about someone—or rather, how to allow himself to let others see he worries and cares about them—but the youkai out him lmao. He’s pretty tsundere about it, but he’s still come a long way from giving Hanae his little container of youkai medicine (which he absolutely doesn’t want anything to happen to) to hold on to before sending him off to be taken away by the little ギギギs so that he’d “definitely rescue you before you get eaten (by ギギギの親分).” He definitely doesn’t only care about youkai anymore.

According to Bookmeter, today is my 243rd day of reading in Japanese in a row, and to celebrate… well, I didn’t get any further in reading 2.43, but I did translate a bit more lol

Some vocab of note:

ご機嫌ななめ (ごきげんななめ) [expression] in a bad mood; cranky; crabby
当てずっぽう [noun] random guess; guesswork; shot in the dark; conjecture
たんまり [adv.] quite a lot. Like あんまり but in the opposite direction.
早とちり (はやとちり) [noun, する verb] jumping to a wrong conclusion
走馬灯 (そうまとう) [noun] Literally it means “revolving lantern,” but it can also itself mean “memories etc. that flash before one’s eyes,” from the expression 走馬灯のように駆け巡る.
服を着る (ふくをきる) [expression, 一] to be the personification of. (Xが服を着たY, for Y to be the personification of X)

22 Likes

Tiny read of ユージニア today. I’m enjoying it a lot, but I slept poorly last night and am having trouble focusing so will try again tomorrow.

22 Likes

November 11 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Today was a bit of a change of pace; I started playing through キミガシネ with a friend from Japanese class who’s new to like external reading practice and it was a lot of fun! It’s definitely a different dynamic working through something in more detail like that, feels very different than my normal reading at this point which is a pretty good confidence boost in itself :grin: but yeah she seemed to really enjoy as well and she said she learned a lot, and I had a good time explaining things, which I think was also good for me from a learning perspective, so yay! Good times :blush:

23 Likes

I didn’t have much time to read today, but skimmed a few things, including the final chapter (36) of volume 3 of シャドーハウス. I have questions…this is why I shouldn’t read ahead.

20 Likes

:house:
Nov 12

かがみの孤城 (page 217)

Just read one page today. I think I used up all my focus ability studying in the library today, because I kept getting distracted reading :grimacing:

I have a bad habit of checking my socials, etc before studying first thing in the morning. Tomorrow I’ll replace that with reading as a ‘warm-up’, and hopefully I’ll be able to read a lot more than usual.

22 Likes