[Userscript] WaniKani More Item Info

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Overview

Images wooo

Image of WK item info box while reviewing:

Image of WK item info box while doing a lesson:

This is the page for the 母 (mother) Kanji:

This script shows you additional information for WaniKani items while reviewing them and while doing lessons. That way you can decide how important they are and stuff.

Download Link

(’ ^ ω ^) vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv (^ ω ^ ‘)
(^ ω ^ ‘) > Install WK Item Info < (’ ^ ω ^)
(’ ^ ω ^) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (^ ω ^ ')
Old ver. | Mirror

Features

• show info while reviewing (not only while doing lessons) and improved info page
  • Kanji: Joyo info, frequency, school grade, and JLPT level
  • Radicals: radical number, stroke number, and frequency
  • Vocab: JLPT level, common (Yes or No), and frequency (top most used and percentage)
  • All: WaniKani level

I’m all open for new feature requests, as well!
Preferably, we could discuss this stuff over the WK Userscript Discord Server but you can also post requests here :D

Lame Backstory

Yoo… ヽ(*・ω・)ノ

I found this script (WK Kanji Info) a few months ago and I really liked the idea. But for me it did not really work anymore (guess I’m 2 years late to the party). It should show you additional Kanji data while doing lessons. But (for me at least) it was behind the lesson banner so you could not see it and it did not update its data properly.

So I decided to renew the script myself because I don’t think the original creator of it is still active. While I was at it I also decided to make it a “Item Info” instead of only a “Kanji Info”. So I got some data for Radicals, Kanji, and Vocab from a few sources and combined them all into this script.

Because this was originally only a fix meant for my own needs it is not complete, it is a beta. I originally only posted this to the original thread but because I’ve noticed there are still a lot of things to improve I decided to make this userscript its own thread. Please report bugs and give me feedback. Thank you :smiling_face:

To-Do List

• I didn’t have the chance to check if it works on multiple browsers.
  • The radical info while reviewing is also not tested yet (I don’t have any radical reviews for quite some time).

So sorry about that! But please report bugs when you find any (ᵔ◡ᵔ)

10 Likes

Could you add it on the Extra Study pages too, please? :durtle_hello:

https://www.wanikani.com/extra_study/session?title=Burned+Items
https://www.wanikani.com/extra_study/session?title=Recent+Mistakes
https://www.wanikani.com/extra_study/session?title=Recent+Lessons

3 Likes

Thank you for the request :smile: I totally forgot that was a thing!

I added the info box to all the extra study pages.

2 Likes

Yay, thank you! :high_touch:

2 Likes

Update: I added an “Origin” for some radicals where it made sense. This can be a composition or just the Kanji it originated from.

For example, 氵(tsunami) has this origin:

And 井 (well):

2 Likes

Update: I’ve made it so that する at the end, as well as 〜 or numbers at the front like 五枚 are removed because they shouldn’t count as separate words from their shortened forms imo.

For example 説得する previously did not show much data because it was considered a separated word from 説得. But now it’s much more useful:

2 Likes

Update: Apparently, the lesson info box wasn’t even changing. But that is fixed now.

Update: And, I made the review info box stop changing with the last fix :expressionless:. But that should work now, too.

Update: Oof.

2 Likes

Hey @saraqael! Thanks for making this. I’m having a display issue on the database pages (as opposed to reviews/lessons). It looks like this for me:
I thought I might have caused this by editing the script to remove the level info (I didn’t want to have such a strong hint during reviews), but upon factory resetting the script to test, it still does this. Turning off all my other scripts besides this and open framework also doesn’t change it.

I’m on Win 10 Chrome with Tampermonkey and a few other extensions like ublock and disconnect, if that makes any difference.

2 Likes

Oh no. That might have to do with the updates to the WaniKani site. I pushed an update that should fix it! Please tell me if it doesn’t :smiling_face:

Edit: It should look like this now

2 Likes

Oh also, I added a setting for deactivating the Item Info for reviews!

The variable is at the top and is called SHOW_IN_REVIEWS.

1 Like

Yup, looks like this now, thanks!

2 Likes

Question, is there any way to make the Item Info appear in reviews only after I answer the flashcard? I like seeing the item info in reviews but I’ve found myself looking to the item info for hints (eg. “oh, this is a level 11 card, so it’s one I learned recently…” which is definitely not information I should be using in reviews). Although, if it would be really complicated to do, don’t worry about it (I’m not that experienced with coding for WK so I have no idea if this would be an easy or hard feature to add)
Other than that, I love this userscript!

1 Like

I added a new setting for your request (it wasn’t that hard to implement, no worries!). It’s called SHOW_AFTER_ANSWER and you can change it to true at the top of the script after you updated it to 1.17!

Tell me if anything doesn’t work with it. And thank you for downloading my script :smiling_face:

1 Like

ahh yay! you’re the best, thank you!!

1 Like

@saraqael I updated to 1.17 and set both SHOW_IN_REVIEWS and SHOW_AFTER_ANSWER to true. But the item info doesn’t seem to be appearing in my reviews at all? The item info does appear in my lessons so I know the script is running. I’m not sure if there’s a bug in the code or if I did something wrong. I included a screenshot as well in case that helps

1 Like

Ngl having all that information during reviews seems like a really bad idea. You don’t get to know the frequency of a word, the JLPT level and the level you learned it in Wanikani when you read real Japanese. I personally think Bellynx’s suggestion should be made to be the default setting.

I already feel like reviewing in Wanikani is easier and that I cheat a bit compared to real life because I already know the words in Wanikani that come up lol

1 Like

That is weird, I just tested it again and it does work on my end. It’s probably the fault of the browser if it works or not; that is always a problem when trying to do something so finicky… Are you by any chance not using chrome (maybe firefox)? If you are using Chrome the problem might lie elsewhere.

That is very true. I made this script a while back when I didn’t have that much experience with SRS yet. I should probably make it default to not showing the item info for reviews…

As for your other point, there is always the trade-off that you have context while reading a text in comparison to WaniKani. While you have the knowledge that you have seen the word in WaniKani which doesn’t have to be the case in real texts, as you said. Still, I agree that having the item info always active could affect/impair the learning with WaniKani.

1 Like

I’m using Chrome and my browser is up to date. I thought it might be one of my other userscripts interfering somehow, so I turned my other userscripts off, but the behavior is still the same. Hmm… to be honest I have no idea what the issue might be.

1 Like