Synonym rejected for 〜形

WK rejected my user synonym of “shape” for 〜形
(this really should be accepted by default but can you fix it so it doesn’t reject “shape”?)

That’s odd. As a work around, could you try “shaped” ?

Usually the best way to get a response is to email the WK team or @ the mods.

1 Like
Checking the internal API, the input box is supposed to shake when you enter "Shape" or "Shaped".
(await fetch("https://www.wanikani.com/extra_study/items?ids=7672").then(r => r.json()))[0].auxiliary_meanings

results in

[{"type":"warn","meaning":"Shape","message":"That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned."},
{"type":"warn","meaning":"Shaped","message":"That's possible, but it's not the reading/meaning pair you learned."}]

This is the same bug that was reported here.

6 Likes

Just a heads up, I think what WK is trying to get you to understand is that when talking specifically about grammar in Japanese, lots of words ending in 形 are in reference to specific grammatical concepts. So like 過去形(かこけい)is past tense, 未来形(みらいけい)is future tense, 受身形(うけみけい)is the passive voice, etc.

Maybe (and this is just speculation so take it with a massive grain of salt) they specifically made it do that so the idea doesn’t get mixed up in this instance? i dunno though

2 Likes

Yeah, this item is specifically about the meaning of “grammar form” not geometric shapes. So that’s why they blacklisted it.

13 Likes

:eyes: @Mods

Thanks. It makes sense sort of. If so, why can’t they warn you when you add the synonym in the first place? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

This is actually what I think WaniKani should implement - reject any API request or website request to add that synonym

1 Like

Are there various levels of blacklisting? Sometimes it drives me nuts the way transitive vs. intransitive are blacklisted. Generally, though I can still add the other form to the user-synonym list to make it work.

(What I’m referring to)
That is, 壊す might be “to break” but they want 壊れる to be something like “to be broken” which does not adequately define the word. 壊れる is much closer to “to break”, it’s just used in an intransitive sentence like, “the window will ‘break’”. “to be broken” would be closer to 壊される or something.
(Also, I’m not sure if 壊れる is actually one where it’s blacklisted, but I know in each level I tend to run across one blacklisted verb where it should be similar enough to count as a typo, but it gets counted all together wrong)

2 Likes

Ooh, thanks for letting us know! We’ll do some investigating on this one.

1 Like

There’s the block list which is marked wrong but would ordinarily be within acceptance criteria for typo tolerance, and the internal warning list, which is not allowed as input but results in shaking the answer field, such as using うえ as the reading for the pink kanji item of 上

(There’s also the allow list, which are hidden alternate meanings which would not normally be accepted, but are marked correct if you type one.)

Yes, it’s supposed to do this, which is what I see when I try to replicate this issue after adding shape to the synonym:

The team will check it out and see what the issue is.

5 Likes

Yeah I get frustrated with Wanikani sometimes when I know the meaning of the word but they won’t allow synonyms for most words so I end up getting it wrong when I know the meaning of the word. They most frustrating one being 下がる and下げる. I know what these words mean but because I don’t type in the specific key words they aren’t enlightened now.

1 Like

Apparently there are some scripts that let you fix answers and not get them wrong but I haven’t tried them.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.