三ツ星カラーズ — Week 10 Discussion (ABBC)

三ツ星カラーズ Week 10: Pages 71–75

Start Date: 15th of January

Home Thread: Link
Last Week: Link
Next Week: Link

Page Numbers Guide

Due to a general lack of page numbers, it can be difficult to know which page you’re asking a question on. You can use the thumbnails below to see at a glance which page number each is.

Thumbnails with page numbers for this week's reading. (Spoiler warning!)

Screenshot_20220114_144712

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur / hide any major events in the current week’s pages (however early they occur), like so: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked
  • Join the conversation — it’s fun!

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Vital Information

• 納豆(これ)
  • 納豆(なっとう)

0 voters

7 Likes

Page 72, Panel 2, Character Yui

What does a trailing 。。つ indicate?

thanks

4 Likes

A small つ on its own at the end of a sentence is equivalent to an exclamation mark, so I’d say: “…!”

4 Likes

Page 75, Panel 2, Yui

守られました

I know this is past passive… I’m not that familar with this conjugation, without a full sentence, does it mean they are the recipients of the protecting?\

“We’ve been protected” ?

thanks as ever

3 Likes

It is a full sentence (continued from the previous panel): この街の平和も守られました。
Yes, it’s the past passive: “The peace of this city was also protected”.

6 Likes

So, for the remainder of the chapter, they’re sitting here - at the risk of giving away the secrets for how I find these places, the key is the relative positions of the boathouse, Shinobazu-no-Ike Bentendo and the Tokyo Skytree shown in the fourth panel of page 71.

So, did… did Nonoka just wander off after planting the seeds for the world’s destruction?

Love how they protect the peace by simply deciding not to destroy the world. Talk about マッチポンプ…

I kinda wonder if in this instance it represents a sob or a hiccough.

9 Likes

By heroically giving up their self-appointed mission, they saved the whole mankind. A tough, but noble choice. Epic stuff, really.
Although I was really curious to see how they intended to go about destroying mankind. Was almost looking forward to watching them try.

Cool new word of the day :slight_smile:

Oh, entirely possible, given the pathos of the scene.

4 Likes

One step at a time.

I learnt it from Yuru Camp. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

This is alluded to in the poll, but what is the deal with page 72 fourth panel: 納豆 with これ for the furigana. Is it simply that she is saying これ and the kanji is 納豆 to make it clear what the “this” is?
I have seen that sort of thing before when reading manga, but I am not sure why it happens.

3 Likes

You are correct, that これ is what’s being said, and the kanji is the meaning, letting us know what これ refers to.

3 Likes

Is that a pretty common thing to see in written Japanese?

1 Like

You’ll see it in various forms, which are all related:

1. Clarification. That’s what we have here. Because この is used in place of a noun, the kanji of the noun was given for clarification. You might also get this where someone says あいつ, and it’s furigana on the person’s name, such as クリス(あいつ). And in this use, you can even have kanji in the furigana, such as モノクロ大佐(カラーズの猫).

2. Meaning for a foreign word. A foreign word might appear as furigana, with the Japanese word for clarification. For example, 迷路(ラビリンス) or exit(出口).

3. Meaning for a made-up word. You’ll see this in things like science fiction stories, or stories where people use special attacks, where they say a made-up word as furigana, and it’s attached to kanji that tells the meaning of the word.

Random Examples

i-032x

Edit: Just came across another example during my reading today.

Screenshot_20220116_122748

6 Likes

It’s also often used for humourous effect, since sometimes the “clarification” is actually explaining or making a joke. The Way of the Househusband relied heavily on this for a lot of it’s jokes.

4 Likes
This also works great for homonyms (although this is an example of normal usage).

i-0092x
(おも)い vs (おも)

2 Likes

Just quickly jumping in to say I’m about two weeks behind! Hopefully I’ll find time to catch up over the weekend.

4 Likes

I think I understand most sentences, but I’m still somewhat confused by the 2nd half of this chapter. What triggers the crisis?

The girl they met casually remarks that her teacher said that “mankind’s extinction would the best thing that could happen to nature”, and this convinces the 3 girls that their plan to make the pond look nice and clean with natto would destroy humanity? I got it right?

4 Likes

Thanks to Nonoka’s teacher, Colors knows the only way to clean the lake is for them to bring about the end of humanity. This leads to their “final meal”, during which Yui realizes while eating the natto that, even though natto smells bad, she likes natto. If it’s okay for something liked to smell bad, then it’s all right if the pond smells bad (since it’s not clean). Thus, Yui determines that Colors should give up on cleaning the pond, which inadvertently saves humanity.

6 Likes

What I find even funnier, is that they still believe that the natto could clean the lake, but Satchan’s mother said not to throw it. So they’re only left with the alternative of destroying mankind as a whole, because destroying mankind is apparently better than disobeying parents, especially for these little angels. :grin:

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that even Nonoka would have been confused. If she’d bothered to hang around. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Thanks. My interpretation wasn’t completely correct.

Yeah. I’m still getting used to the fact that using logic to complement your language abilities to find out what may be happening doesn’t work very well on this manga :melting_face: :grin:

3 Likes