📚📚 Read every day challenge - Winter 2022 ☃❄

:tiger2: :books: Homepost - Tigerdate: 20220214 :books: :raccoon:

Tanuki Scroll XLV: 鬼を退治した男の子 :japanese_ogre:

Read today’s Hyakumonogatari, from Kagoshima Prefecture!

About a boy driving out a demon from the village.

ハッピーバレンタインデー!!

☆ Learnings ☆

New Words

退治「たいじ」ー Extermination (of pests/bandits/demons); Eradication; Renounce thy worldly desires to focus on the teachings of Buddha.
ずれ ー Gap; Lag; Slippage
利口「りこう」ー Clever; Wise; Bright; Sharp; Well-behaved
しめしめ ー All right!; Good!
天井裏「てんじょううら」ー (the gap) above the ceiling, so, the attic / loft - but it doesn’t necessarily have to be an accessible room, can just be an empty cavity between the ceiling and roof.
ピョンピョン ー Hopping; Skipping
ドタバタ ー Noisily running around; with heavy feet; in a fluster

Forgotten Meanings

イワシ「鰯 / 鰮 (Rare)」ー Sardine; Pilchard

19 Likes

Today I read five pages from なかよし. I learnt a lot of space terms, here are a few.

銀河------ぎんが------Milky Way​, galaxy​

宇宙------うちゅう------universe; cosmos; space

惑星------わくせい------planet

19 Likes

Summary post

Happy Valentine’s Day, friends. :heart:

Summer Pockets: Today had a few bits that almost lost me (just… a little lost in what strings of hiragana were doing I guess, I dunno. Odd sentences), but it also featured a lot of just sitting back and casually reading! ~2700 characters and ~235 lines, not too bad for me. Very low key, mostly in between little scenes talking about cooking and stuff.

ベランダパリングルスの仲間 acquired. :upside_down_face:

Zoo 2: Continuing to roll through this at a pace I’m super happy with, at 15% and page 27 after only like 3 days of reading it. This story has gotten increasingly comfortable despite the rocky start; suppose I learned all of its relevant words by now. I’m finding it maybe a little easier to incidentally pick up regularly encountered brand new kanji words in the wild, I think. :crossed_fingers: And over time my experiences are shifting to more and more instances where I look up things and go “oh it’s that word again!” instead of everything feeling new and scary all the time. Good feelings.

I’m off to hopefully try the previously mentioned karaoke later!

21 Likes

Monobeno
I’m really shocked but reading it seems to get easier and easier every day seriously I may even finish reading it this year. Today I finished the third chapter there are still 25 more chapters to read. But I’m not just reading it I always also speak all the lines out loud. People may think I’m crazy but I think my pronunciation will improve that way.

A Town Where You Live Vol.1
It has some interesting situations lol. Just sat down and read 70 pages I would actually read more but I’m doing a course at a university right now and there is lots I have to read for it every day. If I read too much on a day I get bored of reading and have to do something else

19 Likes

There are a few book clubs that do read aloud sessions as well, if you’re interested in that? (It’s much more fun with more people than just one person alone, I think. Some clubs also read manga with assigned roles, that’s also super entertaining!)

8 Likes

Summary post

February 14 update:
Finished volume 3 of よつばと! today. Instead of reaching some conclusion on Jumbo’s infatuation with Asagi (unbeknownst to the latter, presumably), the manga decided to have everyone else, including the kids, capitalize on it – up to the point of blackmail :joy: It’s quite funny, but it feels like this situation isn’t going away any time soon, so I hope it’ll be played out creatively at least. So far I felt like the jokes based around Jumbo-Asagi were some of the weakest in the series (besides maybe the panel where he came all dressed up to their first failed rendezvous “arranged” by Yotsuba – that one was quite a whirlwind of emotions).

17 Likes

Summary post :bookmark:

February 14

笑わない数学者
Progress: 44% → 46%

Time to catch up on book club :eyes: :eyes:

22 Likes

Home post :house:

Day 38:

I read one page of よつばと! today :four_leaf_clover::+1::four_leaf_clover:

21 Likes

Yesterday I read all of this week’s assignment of 大聖堂 - this is the first time that I managed to read that amount in one day! :tada:
Yesterday and today I read the second episode of しあわせのパン - almost done with it. I also reached the 50% mark today. That means I might be able to finish the book around the weekend or slightly afterwards, which leaves me with enough time to watch the movie in the film festival.

21 Likes

Day 45!

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I read Chapter 14 of 極主夫道 today - it took me a little while since there was no vocab in the bookclub sheet yet and there isn’t much furigana! But I did it, and I filled in the vocab sheet too :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

21 Likes

It’s read ちきゅうおんだんか, right? And means global warming? I guess it made quite an impression on me the first time I read よつばと!1 that 6 years later, I can still remember it.

11 Likes

Yupp, I’m not going to forget it any time either:p

8 Likes

Home post

Day 44:

日本語: I read some of ミステリークロック and a bit of 機動強襲型令嬢アリシア物語1.

中国語

中国語: I read an intermediate entry on Mandarin Bean, one page of 擅长捉弄的高木同学.

20 Likes

Summary post

Day 45: February 14th

365日にっぽんのいろ図鑑
Time spent: 10 min
Today’s color: 樺色 (かばいろ) - a reddish yellow

Named for the color of birch (樺) bark. It can also be written as 蒲色, because the color of birch bark is also the color of cattails. I guess the 樺色 writing was more popular in the Heian period.

Good words
  • 樺 (かば) - birch
  • 山桜 (やまざくら) - mountain cherry
  • 樺桜 (かばざくら) - any cherry tree with birch-like bark
  • 表記 (ひょうき) - expression in writing; written representation; notation; transcription; orthography
  • 蒲 (がま or かば) - common cattail (Typha latifolia); common bulrush; common reedmace
  • 同一視 (どういつし) - viewing and treating as one; regarding as the same; equating one thing with another; identification
  • のちに - later on; subsequently; by and by; after a while

まいにち暦生活 日本の暮らしを楽しむ365のコツ
Time spent: 6 min

Today’s reading was about バレンタインデー and the best part of it, the チョコ :gift_heart:
ハッピーバレンタインデー, 皆さん :heavy_heart_exclamation:

What else did I read?
海のどうぶつが可愛すぎて!
Amount read: 6 pages
Time spent: 11 min

It’s MANATEE TIME :DDDD
And also dugong time~

Look at this smol manatee eating with its hands :pleading_face:

Some good words

Creatures:

• カイギュウ - sirenian (any aquatic mammal of order Sirenia, incl. manatees, and dugongs); sea cow
  • マナティー - manatee
  • ジュゴン - dugong

Words:

• 川岸 (かわぎし) - riverbank; riverside
  • 下向き (したむき) - pointing down; pointing downward​
  • 河川 (かせん) - rivers
  • 苔 (こけ) - moss
  • 長らく (ながらく) - long; (for a) long time
  • びっしり - closely (packed, lined up, etc.); tightly; densely
  • 胴回り (どうまわり) - waist; girth; measurement around waist
  • 圧巻 (あっかん) - highlight; best part; stunning; incredible; superb
  • 主な (おもな) - chief; main; principal; important​
21 Likes

February 14 :snowflake: Home Post

Sleepy day :') I just read a few pages of ヴァニタスの手記(カルテ) to keep up the habit so not a whole lot to say there. I should have more time to read tomorrow (and hopefully be less tired :joy:) so onward and upward!

(Also happy valentine’s day everyone! :sparkling_heart: Don’t forget to go get some discounted candy tomorrow :wink:)

A few words

まどろっこしい - dull, sluggish
単刀直入(たんとうちょくにゅう) - straight to the point, frank
()かす - to let live
戯言(たわごと) - nonsense, drivel
ガラクタ - junk, trash
心外(しんがい) - regrettable, unthinkable

(wow no wonder my brain didn’t wanna do it today, this was from like five pages :joy: when I’m already tired?? no mercy, vanitas)

I also ran into this てみたはいいものの construction (the return of the infamous ものの) and I really did not have the mental capacity to fully grasp the hinative explanations and connect them to what was happening but I got the gist, I’ll probably go back to it another time lmao

18 Likes
Grammar thoughts

It seems like it’s more or less “It would have been better if I didn’t”? Or close to ending the first clause with a “but” in English :joy: I actually haven’t seen this construction before but the example sentences make sense I think:

EDIT: I was looking at this HiNative btw, just incase you were referencing something else.

エアコンを買ったはいいものの、台湾では暖房機能はあまり使う機会はないかな。

would be like ~I bought an aircon, but in Taiwain I barely have the chance to use the heat setting

:heavy_check_mark:Tシャツを買ったのはいいものの
1回も着てない

~I bought this shirt but I haven’t even worn it once

:heavy_check_mark:ラーメン屋に行ったのはいものの
その日は開いていなかった。

~I went to the ramen shop but they weren’t even open that day

I didn’t see this word for such a long time and then suddenly it was everywhere. It was one of those words that I’m convinced I was just blanking out before.

6 Likes

Update February 14

• Jazz Up Your Japanese with Onomatopoeia. Introduction, first scenario, and first quiz.
  • 三星カラーズ Chapter 8.
19 Likes

Home Post

Day 3 - February 14
Yotsubato vol.2 pg. 25-40

Reading it now, I feel kind of silly for not finishing chapter 8 earlier. Those last few pages were fairly easy. Chapter 9 however… Yotsuba’s doing some kind of murder mystery play pretend that’s a lot harder to understand lmao There’s already a number of jokes that I haven’t really gotten because I didn’t understand them until I’d studied them too long for them to be funny. I’ll probably fall back on more Shirokuma cafe tomorrow to give myself a break since I have a lot of studying planned.

20 Likes

Oh I forgot about this book! You’ll have to tell me what you think of it. When I started Japanese I was like “ooh frequent onomatopoeia; that’s fun.” Flash forward to today and most cards that are tormenting me on Anki are onomatopoeia that just will not stick at all no matter what I do. Been hoping the long term fixes that (I say while they all slowly start auto-suspending…), but I might need a new approach, heh.

Oh yeah, that chapter’s cute, but it’s so much harder than the surroundings. I kinda glided through it on my first read back then tbh.

10 Likes

You might like Onomappu’s onomatopoeia playlist? His videos have a sprinkling of English (and other languages) but are 95%+ in Japanese from what I remember.

8 Likes