スキップ・ビート!Semi-casual book club (Now reading Volume 7)

Hi everyone,

I’m a huge fan of Skip Beat!

Results of latest beginner book club poll show that this manga is not very popular, so I don’t hope that many people want to read it together with me. Still I couldn’t help but start reading it. While reading, I fill vocab spreadsheets, and I guess that some people could find it useful. So I’ve been thinking, what if I create some sort of a casual book club, without any schedule, but where people could still discuss it, help each other etc.?

Or maybe I’m totally wrong, and there are plenty of people willing to read it in the usual book club format.

Here is a nomination post in the Beginner book club thread.

What do you think of it?

Would you like to read Skip Beat?

• Yes, and the casual book club format sounds nice
  • Yes, but I prefer a book club with proper schedule
  • Not planning to participate

0 voters

This thread serves as a meta-thread for organizing the book club. Each volume will have its own discussion thread.

Volume 1 ThreadVocab
Volume 2 ThreadVocab
Volume 3 ThreadVocab
Volume 4 ThreadVocab
Volume 5 ThreadVocab
Volume 6 ThreadVocab
Volume 7 ThreadVocab
Volume 8 ThreadVocab
Volume 9 ThreadVocab
Volume 10 ThreadVocab
Volume 11 ThreadVocab
Volume 12 ThreadVocab

Volume 32 Vocab

10 Likes

Ooooooooooooooooooh :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

…I would actually prefer a book club with proper schedule but you’re right, I think not many people are interested in reading Skip Beat. I love how the series progressed over time but I can see that reading only the first volume can be boring for others and it’s quite text heavy compared to other and newer Skip Beat chapters… so maybe a casual book club would be better.

I will definetly read it in Japanese one day but I have so many other books on my plate right now, I don’t think I will start reading before finishing some other stuff first.

2 Likes

True, and there are also many hand-written kanjis, which is very difficult to decipher without either stamina or passion.

Totally understand you. But when you start reading it, I hope you’ll profit from the gathered resources :slight_smile:

I was also really dissapointed skip beat ended up so low :cry: I’d prefer a schedule just because I’m the type that if something can be put off it will be. I’d eventually participate in a casual book club though!

1 Like

As expected, there are not many of us, so it will be a casual book club for sure. I don’t see a point in creating separate threads for volumes also, so everything will be in this thread (I’ll soon update the OP accordingly).

However, if we can be in sync at least partially, it might help. @frayderike @beckswithspecks @eefara @valkow When you’d like to start? And what pace seems suitable for you?

Myself, I want to read ~ 1 chapter a week, any start date.

I had originally planned to buy physical books but it looks like the first five volumes are on sale on bookwalker so I guess I can start whenever!

1 Like

One chapter a week seems fine for me. I think I’d be able and motivated to start after finishing reading Furuba with the Beginner Book Club, so around mid September. But I don’t want to stop you if you all want to start earlier.

I still own the German release, so if I have to catch up, I can just read without looking up too much voab/grammar and further my understanding with the translation.

EDIT: Also tagging @nehahahaXD, in case you’re interested in reading Skip Beat with a book club!

1 Like

A chapter a week works for me, and I can start whenever! Now is fine, later is also fine.

1 Like

I’ve updated the OP with a schedule and a vocab list. I asked moderators to convert it to wiki (apparently, I cannot), once it is done please feel free to contribute in any way you want :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m already excited :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: finally reading my favorite manga series in Japanese! Thank you for starting this book club! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m leaning back and forth on whether I want to join in. I see the first five volumes are free on Kobo through September 2. Maybe I’ll give the them a browse and see if this looks like something I can fit in alongside the other manga I’m reading =)

1 Like

Well I’m hoping for it after seeing your amazing help in Rental Big Brother’s threads!

I hope you’ll like it! I think it is a rare case of the long series, which becomes better and better with time.

Looking on Wikipedia, I see it’s 45 volumes, and still ongoing. I normally avoid unfinished series (outside of slice-of-life), although I am almost on volume 60 of Detective Conan (English release). Speaking of long series, now I’m reminded that I’ve gotta get back to Oh My Goddess!, which I’m probably a third of the way through (English release)…

Can Japan do me a favor and pause creating any new manga for a while, please? I have so many older manga to get through!

I’ll probably flip through the early volumes of Skip Beat after work today to get an idea of difficulty and how interesting it looks for me. The book club nomination for it did catch my interest.

2 Likes

Totally understand you. Waiting for a new chapter is torture. Several years ago I gave up on One Piece and Naruto (no plans to reread the latter though, even though it is now completed). And also I’m very sad realizing that X/1999 and Nana won’t probably ever be finished…

Skip Beat is the only manga I managed to keep following for god knows how many years (more than 10).

:sweat_smile: And persuade all mangakas to finally complete projects on hiatus :joy:

1 Like

Oh I just noticed… It’s called スキップ・ビト! With ー :wink:

3 Likes

I was going to comment this, I’ve been thinking this everytime the thread title pops up! :+1:

2 Likes

Oh, thanks :sweat_smile: I’ve fixed it

1 Like

Now that we’ve started reading should we start doing chapter threads?

I’m not sure, because I don’t expect many discussions. I’ve looked at other similar book clubs, and they often use a single thread. But probably we can create a separate thread for a volume rather that for a separate chapters, what do you think?