Anyone going to try Nativshark?

I just got an email about Nativshark going live. They only seem to be selling lifetime subscriptions at this point. While you can start now, a lot of material won’t be online until later on this year. They have a roadmap of a lot of the features they plan to add and when. It looks really interesting and can you can start as a complete newbie if you don’t know anything but looks like it will allow you to progress to more advanced grammar and other stuff.

I’m going to finish up Wanikani first, but I think I’ll also give Nativshark a try. I figure by the time I finish up Wanikani, they should have most of their content online and any bugs smoothed out.

8 Likes

That website. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Is that the website who promised that you can learn 2000+ kanji in 97 days?

If so, thanks to it, I learned what Anki is, and learned deko boko in my first few cards before I completely give up

9 Likes

“Learn TEN THOUSAND kanji in FIVE MINUTES!!”
“B-but, I don’t think there even are t-”
“TEN THOUSAND”

54 Likes

Yeah, no problem there. :grinning:

I hadn’t heard about this site. Pretty interesting looking though no N1/Advanced content yet.

2 Likes

It was when I was so young, and I can’t even finish reading the length of that whole blog post in five minutes.

INDEED

3 Likes

I used Nativeshark (previously Nihongoshark) for about 2 years on and off. The provided Anki deck was pretty good and I made it to 1100 kanji within roughly 3 months. I can’t say that this system was bad, because I really retained a lot of the meanings of these kanji and this immensely helps me with WK. However, I tried and stopped 3 times to finish this system and now that I’ve started WK I think WK is the better option, because of the reading and vocabulary. Additionally, Nativeshark uses different meanings for radicals many times which sometimes gets me confused when I learn a new kanji on WK. WKs radicals don’t match my mnemonic I used to learn the kanji on NS, so it’s kind of an unlearn-relearn thing (for kanji that I don’t recall instantly, that is. Many of these 1100 kanji are burned into my head, and here I don’t use any mnemonic anymore). I must add that I didn’t pay for NS, I just used their Anki deck.

So, I say: do either WK or NS, but not both. There is no advantage in doing both.
If you wanna learn all joyo kanji meanings fast: NS
If you wanna learn almost all joyo kanji but both meaning and reading, PLUS vocab (but slower): WK

After having tested both I prefer the slowly-but-surely WK method.

15 Likes

I hate it so much

11 Likes

Haha. Is it the marketing that makes you hate it or do you just think it’s bad in general?

As for the thread - I guess @Koppie might try it. It seems they really liked the grammar part of the old website: https://community.wanikani.com/t/koppies-to-do-list/40091/19

…and I might try it at some point, but definitely not for a huge one-time payment before they even have a fraction of the content.

1 Like

At least I was talking about the website’s front page. It’s so bad. :weary:

3 Likes

Lol 250€ on sale but supposedly it’s 1500€ normally (which I doubt it will be). That seems a bit scummy.

19 Likes

Before I heard about WK I did the NS method, and I did learn all the joyou meanings in 3 months. It was a serious, painful drill.

Did I retain everything ?
Hell no.
Do I recommend doing it for WK people?
Hell no, but in bold.
Does what I retained help me with sturdier programs like WK ?
Absolutely.

I don’t regret doing it, I just wish I had known about WK earlier. It’s not a bad tool, it’s a kanji cram that will put meanings into your head, but it’s definitely not for everyone (although you don’t have to do it in 3 months). More importantly, it’s highly redundant with WK.

I’m just wondering what else there is to that platform now that justifies 250 to 1500 bucks for lifetime sub. Especially considering you don’t need a sub to do the 3 months meanings rush. I’m suspecting they want to do some kind of WK-Bunpro-Jpod101 hybrid. But 1500… jeez.

18 Likes

I’ve never tried Nativeshark, but the classic fake sale (putting up the actual price, next to an insane price to pretend its a great sale) is generally the number one warning sign of shitty online courses (especially programming courses).

36 Likes

I WANT TO LIKE THIS POST BUT I’M OUT I’M M A D

also those are n00b numbers (i think i stole this from somewhere else on this forum but)

if you watch this video at 2x speed you can learn all the jouyou kanji in five minutes why do people even pay for wanikani smh

40 Likes

I would usually agree, and it surely is infuriating, but sometimes a good product is badly marketed. I think about Jpod101 that offers pretty good content (for conversational japanese at least) and which overwhelming ads and e-mails basically look like you got a virus.

22 Likes

I don’t remember the exact number, but the predecessor NihongoShark actually had a super expensive lifetime membership of over 1000€. So they might want to actually go with that price…

1 Like

Like Kazzeon I hate the design of the front page

7 Likes

oh my god… the website… my brain I can’t–

7 Likes

Actually, there is no content yet. At all. For any JLPT level. So far they have only made travel articles and free articles which don’t teach the actual language.

This new website doesn’t seem to revolve around kanji, though.

2 Likes

I am actually considering it… Seem like they intend to be pretty comprehensive, and even though I already got N2 it might be a good resource. And they also seem to want to add more languages after this year, which could be interesting.

5 Likes