Week 10 Mar 14th 137 63% 全員が、誰にともなく礼をした。 11
Week 11 Mar 21st 152 70% 新しいところであろう。 15
Week 12 Mar 28th 165 77% 「データベースは結論を出せないんだ」 13
Week 13 Apr 4th 175 81% [End of chapter] 10
Week 14 Apr 11th 185 86% 三十三年前、関谷純が本当に薔薇色だったのか。 10
Week 15 Apr 18th 200 93% 「もう、答えはわかったでしょう」 15
Week 16 Apr 25th 214 99% [End of book] 14

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Set your participation status here.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading
折木•奉太郎 おれき•ほうたろう
折木•供恵 おれき•ともえ
千反田•える ちたんだ•える
福部•里志 ふくべ•さとし
伊原•摩耶花 いばら•まやか
関谷•純 せきたに•じゅん
14 Likes

Are you planning to read 氷菓 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

5 Likes

Shall we vote on the schedule?

Longer option:

Shorter option:

Vote here:

• Longer schedule (16 weeks)
  • Shorter schedule (12 weeks)
  • Don’t mind
0 voters
2 Likes

@Sylph heres a quick list of the main characters that appear in the first chapter to add to the proper names list:

折木•奉太郎 - おれき•ほうたろう
折木•供恵 - おれき•ともえ
千反田•える - ちたんだ•える
福部•里志 - ふくべ•さとし
伊原•摩耶花 - いばら•まやか

8 Likes

Poll says we’re going with the longer schedule. :slight_smile:

I may have finished chapter 3 on the train the other day.

D: I should probably delete it from my phone before that 5 hour bus drive next week.

4 Likes

It begins!

We are using @Naphthalene’s schedule. I wrote down the schedule and breaks quickly using the data so please tell me if you spot any mistakes.
If anyone wants to/can provide end percentages I can put them up, otherwise I will erase that part of the table.

I also used @NicoleIsEnough’s generator for this,btw. I’m sill getting the hang of it so I’ll postpone more comments for now :see_no_evil:

I feel like I’m forgetting something

9 Likes

Ack, I’ll be starting a bit late I guess. Didn’t see this thread until today! I have a paperback version on the way that should arrive before the first deadline.

2 Likes

For me the percentages are at

Week Percentage
1 5%
2 12%
3 18%
4 25%
5 32%
6 39%
7 44%
8 52%
9 ?? Naphtalene’s breakdown says there’s supposed to be a chapter break here - the end of ch 5 is at 58%, so it’s probably that
10 63%
11 70%
12 77%
13 81%
14 86%
15 93%
16 99% :wink:

Week 8 and 9 of your table both say 小く笑った, but I can only find that sentence once. :upside_down_face: (Also, it says 小さく in my version :wink: )

1 Like

Yep that’s a mistake. Fixed now hopefully. And thanks for the percentages!

I copied what @Naphthalene wrote but I also have what you have so I dunno :woman_shrugging:

I’m assuming @Naphthalene may have made a mistake - 小さい does usually include the さ. ^^ Unless there’s some other adjective with that kanji that doesn’t. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what I’m getting into but looking forward to starting a new book.

8 Likes

I went fast without proofreading. Mistakes are almost guaranteed.

2 Likes

Week 2 is here!

8 Likes

Aaand here comes Week 3:

8 Likes

Here’s Week 4 as promised:

7 Likes

For everyone that isn’t behind like I am:

4 Likes

I convinced a (real-life) friend of mine to get in on this, so we visited Kinokuniya this afternoon and tracked down a new copy. I feel very accomplished for having successfully found a specific book in a Japanese bookstore.

9 Likes

I may have to back-burner this book.

For the fun of it, I’ve been translating an Asadora into English. It was pointed out to me recently that I’ve been at it for about eight years (how on Earth did eight years pass so fast), so I’ve made a promise to either finish it by the Olympics, or else officially drop it and relinquish control to someone else (who’s essentially going to do an OCR version of the subtitles from whichever B-grade translation company did a translation of it for Hawaiian TV, or somesuch).

Point is, that’s probably going to take up a fair amount of my free time until July, and reading this book is time-comsuming, sooo…

(I confess, I do worry a little bit that working under a deadline is going to take the “fun” out of “for the fun of it”, but I guess we’ll see how long it takes me to crack. I also took this up as a way of practicing my listening, but I don’t really seem to have had a noticeable improvement.)

5 Likes

Make a thread and involve (some of) us in! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Proofreading assistance would always be welcome (aside from the fact that my superpower is not being able to spot my own typos, perhaps I’ve also paced the subtitles to match my reading speed, and that’s too fast for everyone else) but honestly the fiddliest bit is just doing the timing of the episodes.

But yeah, I’ve already scattered questions around the place here about lines I’ve been having issues with over the years. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes