涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread

Chapter 7 (1/3)

Suzumiya

Start Date: October 19th
Previous Thread: Week 16
Next Thread: Week 18

Week 17 Reading: Chapter 7 (1/3)
p.265 (まどろみ数分、俺は寝付きよく眠りに落ちた。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

1 Like

I’ve gotta say, I quite like the pattern of the book.

Namely, each of the three members of the SOS-dan tell Kyon who they are, and who they think Haruhi is. Then each, in the same order, gives him proof of who they are. Then each of them give him a clue to solve the final riddle, though admittedly not in the same order.

2 Likes

(Literally the first line of the new chapter)

自称、宇宙人に作られた人造人間。自称、時をかける少女:eyes:

2 Likes

You forgot some furigana :stuck_out_tongue:

Every time :sweat_smile:
(Fixed)

1 Like

これは誰が書いたシナリオなんだ?

:thinking:

2 Likes
Question

止まっていた朝比奈さんの時間が動いた。
I guess I get what it’s supposed to mean from the words and the context but… I have no Idea how the sentence even works. That or it’s a really weird sentence. Stopped 朝比奈さん’s time moved? 朝比奈さん’s stopped time moved? I don’t even. ‘Stopped’ sounding really weird in English isn’t helping.

Answer

The grammar isn’t particularly strange, it’s just that your brain is rejecting what is being said :stuck_out_tongue:
朝比奈’s time, which had stopped, started moving (again).
So, she had frozen because of ハルヒ’s dramatic entrance (IIRC), but got back to her senses.

1 Like

But is it still a weird sentence in Japanese or just something I’m not used to? At least in the languages I know you wouldn’t say someone’s time has stopped unless you are being poetic or something. I thought maybe he is being weird about time since she is a time traveler (?)

Also, just finished this week and the end was kinda comfy somehow.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird. It is a metaphor, but it feels fairly common? Maybe it’s just because of the weird things I read me.
Out of all the possible ways to say that, though, I also think picking this one is a reference to her time-traveling abilities.

About the end, feels like the calm before the storm, though. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Learned two words I really like.
頬杖 (new) and 方あぐら (which is in WK)