涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread

Chapter 6 (2/3)

Suzumiya

Start Date: October 5th
Previous Thread: Week 14
Next Thread: Week 16

Week 15 Reading: Chapter 6 (2/3)
Until p.236 ([…]俺は全然驚かなかった。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

It’s been a long time :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Your poll doesn’t include “I accidentally read way too fast and finished forever ago”.

And now I am accidentally reading way too slow in other stuff and falling behind

3 Likes

Nice part!

We suddenly see Haruhi in a new light, really liked what she talked about, I definitely shared her thoughts at some point. Koizumi elaborates further. And the Anthropic Principle too!

Unrelated: Anyone with a physical book can say how long each week is on average? I have an ebook, I have no idea how much we’re reading.

3 Likes

Without even looking at my book, I can easily tell you that on average, it’s

divided by

equals 15.73 pages per week. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, we’re going at standard intermediate book club speed, roughly 15 pages a week. Last week was 14 pages and 2 lines, This week is 17+a bit of text.

2 Likes

Interesting that you are using a dot to indicate the repetend. I was told to use a vinculum instead.
\dfrac{236}{15} = 15.7\overline{3}

That being said, I can see why it would make sense to use a dot for a single digit. Looking it up on Wikipedia, it seems that there’s no standard.

3 Likes

I completely agree.

I also liked the moral dilemma of キョン, who knows basically everything about 朝倉 but can’t really tell ハルヒ. Although, I keep thinking that he is morally bankrupt, so it might not be much of an issue for him.
I did like ハルヒ’s story and 小泉’s extra details like you. It’s interesting that 小泉 not only got powers, but immediately knew how to use them. That’s both plot convenient and meaningful in the context of proving that it was due to an external intervention.

By the way, the actual average is around 15 pages of text, but is highly variable.

2 Likes

The bit about how he, and others, instinctively knew that Haruhi is the source of their powers was also super interesting .

Love this book when it’s furthering the plot!

3 Likes

Definitely beats the breast talks from last week. Poor みくる… (I mean, she seems to be a willing participant at this point, but it feels sad that she was written that way…)
let us remember this day as the day I almost stopped my self from commenting on that part

5 Likes

Wow that has one long monologue by ハルヒ. I was half expecting her to try to break into the apartment.

プランク定数
質量保存の法則
熱力学の第二法則
Cool vocab, soon I’ll be able to revisit my favorite textbooks in Japanese :laughing:

Kind of a cliff-hangery place to finish…

4 Likes