[Userscript] ConfusionGuesser

The answer I was confusing it with has so far always been in the list, so it’s perfect still :slight_smile:
Sorry I caused you to think I didn’t like it :cold_sweat:

EDIT: Gave you some much deserved publicity boost. :yum:

2 Likes

I’m just surprised the 10 user limit isn’t disabled for Wiki’s. That’s a pretty glaring oversight on Discourse’s part it seems. Thanks for the tips. I’ll have a think on the ToC.

1 Like

I’m wondering :thinking:
Can this script not suggest the same thing I had typed? This case is for a kanji that has more than one reading.

For example, this one, can I have “goku” as the suggestion instead of “kyoku” because that’s the same thing as I typed.

The guesses are not suggestions - the script tries to display the WK item that led you to giving this answer. In this case, you thought of 極 with the きょく reading, so this is what you are shown.

In addition to this reasoning, I also think きょく is more informative than ごく would be here: it tells you that きょく was indeed a valid reading for 極. ごく on the other hand would just duplicate the information already available through WaniKani’s Item Info button, where it shows you that the correct vocab reading would have been ごくらく.

And last but not least, it might also be more fun to not immediately get the correct answer displayed. When you see on⬄on きょく, you realize that you have thought of the wrong on’yomi and then might recall the correct reading for this vocab on your own, leaving you with some sense of accomplishment even though you failed the review.

3 Likes

Loving it so far but any chance you can add a font size setting? I often do my reviews from across a room, certainly no way I can read them. While I’m certainly willing to change my behavior, others have difficulty with their eyes and font size options can be a godsend.

I have added a dropdown menu in the settings dialog to choose a font size (script version 1.1). I hope these presets are good enough - if not please let me know.

1 Like

They work well for me, thanks a lot for adding them.

1 Like

Version 1.2 patch-notes:

WaniKani's hidden whitelist can now be considered for guesses (deactivated by default)

Some WK items have additional meanings in a hidden whitelist. For example 矛 was once translated as “halberd” which is still in the whitelist. This also applies to the radical names that were changed in the big overhaul - 廴 for example still has “big bird” whitelisted. ConfusionGuesser can now guess 殳 if you somewhere wrongly answer with “ikea”, and also show you what the thing is that Koichi likes so much that he had named three radicals after it:

Your own added synonyms can now be considered for guesses (deactivated by default)

WK allows users to enter their own synonyms. ConfusionGuesser can now base guesses on these user synonyms.

Adaptions to mapping of reading to kanji

examples: 挿絵 - さし|え instead of さ|しえ; 巻尺 - まき|じゃく instead of ま|きじゃく

• until now the mapping was prioritized from left to right; for vocab where okurigana was “pulled into the kanji”, this led to wrong mappings
    example: 挿絵 was split up さ|しえ - 挿 has kun’yomi さ, and しえ was assumed to be a special reading for 絵
    changed so that it now prioritizes shorter matches on the right:
    挿絵 is now split up さし|え - 絵 has on’yomi え, and さし is assumed to be a special reading for 挿
Adaptions to similarity rating
  • increased rating if two consecutive kanji are swapped
    example 1: 栄光 and 光栄 are now rated 0.85 instead of 0.5
    example 2: 過疎 and 疎開 are now rated 0.4 instead of 0.1
    Reason for this change: I wanted 疎開 to win against 避難 in their similarity to 過疎
  • manually defined two component pairs as equal (IDS similarity)
    囗 is defined equal to 口
    厶 is defined equal to ム
    example: 公 and ム now have IDS similarity 0.38 instead of 0.1 (minimum similarity)
Prevent removal of important guesses that happened in rare cases

example: until now, when answering with へいじ for 幽閉, no top guess for the wrong じ was displayed; it would have been 閉, but 閉 was already a guess for へい with an equally high rating, and duplicate guesses are deleted

If I broke something please let me know.
Link to previous script version for downgrading in case version 1.2 doesn’t work for you

2 Likes

This script is amazing, thank you!

3 Likes

Version 1.3 patch-notes:

Changed guess duplicate removal

In version 1.2 I’ve changed the duplicate removal function to remove fewer guesses. Of course I overshot and now left in too many guesses. Example: 那 has two valid reading answers: な and だ; if I answered with ぐん, the script guessed 郡 for the な version as well as for the だ version of the question, and the duplicate removal wasn’t allowed to remove either of them as they were the top guesses for each version.

This patch changes the duplicate removal to only consider guesses as equal if they match in item AND reading (so answering へいじ for 幽閉 still shows you (へい) as well as ()), but it is now again allowed to remove top guesses (so that in the 那 case described above, you only get (ぐん) displayed once).

Link to previous script version for downgrading in case version 1.3 doesn’t work for you

1 Like

Just wanted to let you know that this user script is amazing. This has heavily improved my studying. This script is a must-have in my opinion.

1 Like

Version 1.4 patch-notes:

Duplicate removal bugfix

I’m surprised that I haven’t gotten any complaints yet, because the bug that I had introduced with my last patch was pretty severe: for wrong meanings, the duplicate removal deleted all guesses except for one. Oops.

If I broke something again please let me know.
Link to script version 1.2 for downgrading in case version 1.4 doesn’t work for you

Also thank you all again for the nice comments! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gotta ask this because I can’t figure out which script of mine is doing it. :laughing:

Does this script warn you if you enter the correct reading for a word when WK is asking for meaning?

No, that’s probably the Double-Check script, which added this functionality recently. Why? Is there some problem with this functionality? Coincidentally, it was me who was involved in the making of this Double-Check script feature.

1 Like

One reason I wouldn’t use this script: Let’s say I confuse A with B, and the scripts shows me info for B, If I get B in this review batch, that’s cheating :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t know how feasable that is but getting the info on the next review time of B and hiding it/putting a warning that it’ll come soon, or maybe it’s already there, I don’t know I didn’t try it yet

I personally think the benefit of immediately reviewing the differences between items that you confuse outweighs the harm that it does if you occasionally get an item correct even if you really had forgotten it. At least I think that the case that you have described won’t happen that often. And when it does and you get item B correct, it probably won’t happen again the next time item B comes up for review, because item A was answered incorrectly and comes back in another batch than B. Therefore in the next review of B, you won’t get spoiled by the ConfusionGuesser showing it for item A, and the SRS will correctly demote it if you still can’t remember it.

So, in my opinion:

Advantages Disadvantages
easy to review differences of similar items sometimes spoils the answer to a review in the same batch
sometimes shows items that you have already burned, which helps keeping them in memory

However - even if I personally don’t think that this feature is necessary - if you (or anyone else) still think that I should add a spoiler warning to items that will come up soon, I might look into adding this as an optional feature (but it would probably take some time).

• I want the spoiler warning feature
  • I don’t need the spoiler warning feature

0 voters

UPDATE: spoiler warning feature is now implemented; you can enable it in the ConfusionGuesser settings dialog

2 Likes

Wow, this is officially the best user script ever! I think this should be a built-in WaniKani feature, actually…

It immediately helped me in the first review session after installing:

As for the spoiler warning feature, I don’t really need it. Even WaniKani itself often spoils the correct answer… For example, if you get the reading of some kanji wrong, and you get some vocab later using that kanji. I don’t think spoiling is bad, it only leads to better connections in my brain :thinking:

3 Likes

No, nothing wrong with it at all. It just surprised me was all. I’m so used to WaniKani slapping me when I do that that it caught me off guard and I didn’t know which plugin it was. :sweat_smile: (I actually disabled everything to see if it was native and sadly it wasn’t. lol)

1 Like

Version 1.5 patch-notes:

Added spoiler warning feature

This feature is disabled by default but can be activated in the ConfusionGuesser settings dialog (see the screenshot in the first post of this thread to check how to open the settings dialog).

The available options for “Hide spoiler guesses” are:

• Never: never hide guesses (default)
  • If in this batch: hide guesses for WK items that are in the current review batch
  • If sooner than --% of the SRS interval: hide guesses for WK items that have less than the given SRS interval percentage left until they come up for review again; for example: ConfusionGuesser guesses the Kanji 上, but 上 will come back for review in 7 days and you have 上 in the stage “master” which has an SRS interval of one month. This means that there is only about 25% of the SRS interval left until the next review, and if you for example select If sooner than 30% of the SRS interval, then the guess for the Kanji 上 will be hidden.

You can still view the guess by clicking “Show spoiler”.

ConfusionGuesserSpoilerWarning

Limitations: This feature only checks for the specific WK item - you can still get spoiled for the Kanji 上 if the guess is for the vocabulary 上. Furthermore, an item in the current batch will always be marked as a spoiler, even if you have already finished reviewing it in this session.

Link to previous script version for downgrading in case version 1.5 doesn’t work for you

Tagging @Ayokana for voting in the poll for the spoiler warning feature and @Loglog74 for proposing this feature in the first place.

2 Likes

Version 1.6 patch-notes:

The script now also runs on the WK preview server

Added WaniKani — Log in as a @match so that the script also runs on that site.

Initially I didn’t plan to enable my script to run on the preview server, because I thought of the preview server as a place where each script author has to test their own script, and other users don’t need it enabled. But some people stated a different opinion, and I think there’s no harm in enabling it, so here you go.

4 Likes