涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 Home Thread

Chapter 3 (2/3)

Suzumiya

Start Date: August 17th
Previous Thread: Week 7
Next Thread: Week 9

Week 8 Reading: Chapter 3 (2/3)
p.126 (まあ、せっかくだし読んでみるのもいいかな。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Read Aloud Sessions

Right now we have two teams reading at different times.
Team West - Saturdays @various times (see spreadsheet)
Team Japan - TBD

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

3 Likes

I’ve elected to slow down and read it at a more マイペース speed. Trouble is, マイペース seems to be zero…

2 Likes

I’m at my parents’ house in America after a vacation with my Dude in Okinawa and I Haven’t Read This in Weeks. But tomorrow is the big garage sale and I’ll start getting my act together.

We’ve got a load of fun vocabulary this week friends! Sections like this are the reason algorithms rate this book as hard : D

4 Likes

As we all know, computer algorithms are always right.

1 Like

I see what you did there?

I did sit with the dictionary open like the whole time. But vocabulary is vocabulary, I don’t know that the grammar was any more difficult than normal.
Although re: vocabulary, it might help that I already knew a lot of what she was talking about.
Turns out I forgot a lot too, though.

しまった、毒か!….…なわけないって

:rofl:
Well, I glad the book is back to being a fun (as far as I am concerned) read.

Edit: I’m getting many emotions in a few pages

• oh, hey, 齟齬! Nice to see you again. Looks like you aren’t so rare, then
  • a few sentences later: WHAT. (Plot happened)
5 Likes

Still got half of last week’s part to read, but it’s nice to hear it’s getting fun. :slight_smile:

I added this to my anki; seemed worth knowing.

Emotions you say?

情報統合思念体

1 Like

It’s nice that things are finally starting to happen.

Thoughts/theories on the first half

I’m only about halfway through (after the 長門 reveal) so this might be revealed in the next few pages (in which case I’ll feel a little stupid) but I wonder if they’ll each be a different type of person/alien/being/whatever in the list at the beginning. So if we know what 長門 is and she mentioned that キョン is the odd one (since he’s presumably normal), what’s everyone else? And if ハルヒ is included in that, what is she in particular? My bets are on 未来人 or 超能力者 since she seems so disinterested in everything and somehow knows who isn’t a regular person and that a student was transferring ahead of time.

No hints, please! :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m also not done yet, but in the light of what was just revealed, I don’t think キョン is normal either. I’m starting to think his nickname is a hint as well.
At the same time, maybe he is normal, and it’s like what he said in the prologue (he is just an onlooker on weird things happening). But then, why would he have been catching ハルヒ’s interest? Also, she kinda relies on him for a lot of things, which also seems like it’s important (as of now)?

So, obviously, I have no idea, but I’m glad the story is going this way.

5 Likes

According to キョン on page 12, しみじみと思う。偶然だと信じたい、と。 :wink:

3 Likes

You mean around the same place he says there’s no such thing as aliens so on and so forth? Sure, that sounds like reliable narration.

3 Likes

Sortof. It’s right after her self introduction.

1 Like

Okay, I’m done now and I wonder if キョン isn’t some kind of antibody that counters ハルヒ’s weirdness? He keeps mentioning that she should just spend a normal life and now he is also thinking that about 長門. Like, ハルヒ believes so much in stuff that they start existing/happening and he is the world immune system trying to keep things as normal as possible.

4 Likes

Even without talking about the story (which got much more interesting, hope it’ll keep going this way too), the language used was so refreshing! Didn’t expect this, it was a really pleasant read.

2 Likes

Technical is your jam, eh?

1 Like

Hahah exactly. My long lost hobby is reading this stuff. I don’t have much time for that these days.

2 Likes

Guess I’m running dangerously late on this… life has been very busy and I didn’t really feel like reading Haruhi after the last few discussions… but I’ll try to make an effort before this part is over, otherwise I think the motivation is never coming back. :sweat_smile: If anything, I guess I should just stop lurking on Japanese question threads for a couple of weeks or months and focus on reading instead. :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

All the (unspoilered) things that have been said about this week have me really intrigued.

I started reading and even though it doesn’t really prevent me from understanding the story I’m really curious about this one:

Sentence

708号室のドアを開けて、長門は俺をじいいっと見た。
I’m like 99% sure this is going to turn out to be really obvious and embarrassing but I cannot for the life of me parse the bolded bit.

The start of the section is pretty mysterious…so I’ll just keep on reading.

1 Like