少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 15: 技術

Start Date: June 22th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 14
Next Chapter: Chapter 16

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

I felt this chapter was a bit harder than previous ones, with a lot of words to look up.

I am not quite sure about the meaning of the following sentence in page 131

人類が作った最も古い型のものから

My best attempt at translating this is: “because humanity made extremely older models” but this doesn’t seem to fit well with the rest of what イシイ is saying during that explanation.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

I must confess that I don’t understand everything イシイ says either (mainly because I am too lazy to look up the unknown kanji, please forgive me ^^)…
But here is my interpretation for the sentence in question (which I am reading a bit differently than you):

人類が作った - made by mankind
最も古い型 - oldest model
のもの - thing (or maybe “exemplar”?)
から - because

So, all together I get to: Because this is (an exemplar of?) the oldest model made by mankind.

Not sure whether she is just talking about the construction drawings here (in this case: skip the stuff in brackets) or the real plane she has at hand.

3 Likes

I thought of that から as “from” :thinking: Something like “from the oldest models made by mankind, (next panel)->to not understandable to us technologies”
Maybe? Not sure tbh :DDD I was stuck on those two pages for a looong time

4 Likes

Oh yes, I think you are right! Now that I think of it, から meaning “because” would need a full sentence in front of it, so at least 。。。のものだから or something. Thanks for catching this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @NicoleIsEnough and @FlamySerpent, it makes sense now!

3 Likes

Page 132

Can anyone tell me anything about 暖期…?

I guess it means just “warm season” or something like that, but it’s not listed as a separate item in Jisho. The wonderful wordlist has 暖気, warm weather, so perhaps that is a different version of it (same sound, right?). I’ve not checked on the anime yet as I’m just working through the book looking up vocab at the moment. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

1 Like

Page 133

Yes, that was a much tougher chapter, with a very somber ending.
My only real problems were on page 133…

1. What is the kanji in the last panel? The anime doesn’t use the kanji, but uses the word コンテナ instead (episode 6, 10:21). I tried looking up “container” in Jisho just in case, but can’t find the kanji.

2. この都市と共に死んでいくだけだ
    My problem here is with いく. Is it “go”?

この都市 - this city
と共に - together with
死んで - die and
いく - go
だけ - only
だ - copula
[we’ll] only go and die together with this city.
Is that right?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! And thank you again so much for this wonderful bookclub!

2 Likes

I can’t help you with the kanji at the moment because I can’t easily access my book right now, sorry…

But for the other question: ~ていく has two meanings: Either it means “to physically go from here” or it means “to happen from now into the future”.
The counterpart is ~てくる: “to come to here” or “to have happened before”.

I found an imabi article that is a bit complicated, but I hope you can find easier explanations now that you know what to look for (maybe on Bunpro if you have a subscription).

1 Like

Thank you so much @NicoleIsEnough! That is really helpful! You are very kind! Thank you!

1 Like

I haven’t got this book in Japanese at all (maybe you could post a photo of said kanji…) but Yen Press translates this sentence as … Let’s get some sleep. You can use the empty storage area next door. if that helps any.

1 Like

Well, last panel on page 133 is the following:

Closest thing in there that can be called a container would be 倉庫そうこ, that means storehouse / warehouse. Is that the one you mean?

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Belthazar, and thank you so much @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz!

Yes, that’s the one! 倉庫! Perfect! Thank you again so much! 倉庫! Got it! :smiley: :+1: :factory:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.