Join the Beginner Book Club here!

Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread

Aria the Masterpiece Chapter 40: 銀河鉄道の夜

Start Date: May 11th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 39
Next Chapter: Chapter 41 (volume 5)

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble. Be sure to mention if you are reading a version other than Aria the Masterpiece.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Oh. There’s still one more chapter - for some reason, I had this idea we’d finished the book last week.

Interesting furigana on the chapter title this week. From Googling, イーハトーブ (aka Ihatov) is the land in which Miyazawa Kenji’s poems and stories are set - including 銀河鉄道の夜. Not entirely clear on why that’s being used here.

3 Likes

This chapter has the best muppet faces.

6 Likes

Maa!

1 Like

Ok, finished reading.

What’s making that チチチチュンチュン sound-effect on 325 and 348?

Akari was standing kinda close to the train tracks.

Is that writing on the stamp, underneath the cat’s face? Also, she finally got tangible evidence of her meeting with Cait Sith, and she just went and washed it off before showing it to Aika and Alice…

Don’t think Alice even speaks at any point…

4 Likes

This was a rather sweet end to the book. Although I am sorry that Akari didn’t get to go on the train.
Random thoughts

• Central heating must be good - I wouldn’t be wearing that to bed in the middle of winter!
  • Another awesome wardrobe choice for ARIA社長
  • Akari looks so much more grown up in coat and trousers
  • It seems they only have one ticket between them? How were they both going to get on the train?
  • In reply to your question about the stamp, Belthazar - I reckon it says CAT. It is fairly clear on top of p.344, not that I noticed it myself the first time through!
  • 摩訶不思議なことが大好き。I hope we get more of them in the next volume.

Googling “manga sfx chichichi chun” returns the suggestion of birds chirping

5 Likes

These last few chapters have been nice and easy to read without looking up much.

Interesting. A while ago I was asking one of my penpals for recommendations of children’s novels and this title was suggested although I never followed it up so I don’t know how easy/difficult 銀河鉄道の夜 is to read.

It was good to see the にゃんこ王国の猫 pop up again. Cute.

どこから来て どこへ行くのでしょうか? 摩訶不思議ですね。

4 Likes

I also got it recommended a few years ago. I tried to give it a shot, but I couldn’t get past the beginning (it was hard for me at the time and not fun enough to hold my attention). Maybe I should give it an other try look up the plot.

1 Like

I’m missing so much context!

1 Like

Fixed it for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

The most prominent but controversial alteration made in the anime is that the main two characters (and their classmates) are depicted as cats.

Yeah, I was thinking “wow, that’s not how I imagined them”.

3 Likes

No? Not even after reading this chapter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to that movie and this chapter, Night on the Galactic Railroad will forever be associated with cats in my mind…

3 Likes

Could have been different if I had read the chapter first I guess :thinking:

And done! Not nearly as good as last chapter, but still fine.

4 Likes

Also, I think I’m being followed.

(At least this one I can understand.)

3 Likes