365toJapan

Hi everyone, I have been a longtime lurker and found the posts here very informative. I wanted to share my blog now that it has a good amount of content. It would be a good resource for anyone hoping to hear the path of another Japanese learner. I’m currently revamping the web app so there are no comment features but the entire platform is viewable with minimal bugs. Would love to hear the community’s feedback!

365toJapan

13 Likes

面白い :slight_smile:

I especially liked your blog post on why Japanese lessons are so difficult for you. :+1:

There are few things, though, on your Wanikani post:

For instance, many often boast on the forum that they, on average, complete levels in 5-6 days while others take much longer

I know this was meant to be hyperbole, but the absolute fastest level up speed is 6 days 20 hours. And the people who do that are on the far end of the bell curve, opposite the people who take 8+ years to finish. Most of us average around 2-5 years.

The pressure and competition created can be inadvertent, yet it has negative effects on those who have less free time to pursue Japanese

As one of the people who “have less free time to pursue Japanese”, I can tell you it’s a balancing act. But you’ve run into that yourself in studying for the JLPT, so you don’t need to feel pressure when you see others doing it at a faster pace. They’ve just prioritized learning Kanji.

Anyway, best of luck on your journey. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After reading your blog on lessons, my first thought was, “There are days when I can’t get enough immersion, and days where immersion just seems mentally exhausting.” If I am trying to immerse and my eyes are glazing over or trying to listen to the words starts to sound like “Wah wah wah”, I switch to something else. Immersion can be mentally straining. It depends on factors like mood, sleep, diet, health, circumstances, and stress. Sometimes you are just not in the mood to deal with ambiguity.

4 Likes

Ah ok this is good to hear. I think I’ll end up being closer to the 5 year side of the curve. I think I mentioned it somewhere in the blogs but I’m a high schooler so the work really stacks up. Most of the days I end up getting 3/4 hours of sleep so for the past year I’ve pretty much just been on vacation mode for WaniKani (though I had to admit it). I agree with you on the balancing act, which is why I’m trying to get back into Kanji learning again even if it’s difficult time-wise. For the purposes of the N4 though, I don’t think this holds me back too much because I mainly struggle with the grammar side rather than kanji/vocab.

Thank you so much for checking out the blog!

Yeah I 100% agree that immersion is dependent on different factors. For me, my lessons involving immersion tended to be closer to 8/9 pm after long days of school, which is why I hardly have days were I can’t get enough immersion. At this point though, it’s been a year with full immersion during these classes so it’s usually not that bad. In the beginning though, I remember thinking that 20 minutes of classwork felt like 2 hours.

Perhaps that’s a bit of hyperbole, but to the extent it’s true, I would really strongly encourage you to rethink your schedule so that you’re regularly getting at least seven hours sleep. Humans do not do well on insufficient sleep (and younger people even less so), and even if you feel like you’re getting an extra couple of hours of waking time to do stuff in, everything you do through the whole day will be vastly less effective if you’re sleep-deprived.

1 Like

WK speedrun success can’t be predicted only by that though. I’d say it’s probably true there are high-IQ people populating the speedrunners club, but there are also high-IQ people in the slow burners and rage quitters too. Some people just find the pacing, structure and timings unnatural and can’t use WK at full speed.

1 Like

I assumed alo just meant “the bell curve of how long it takes to complete WK”, not a reference to IQ.

5 Likes

You’re right, of course. I am more used to seeing Bell curve used specifically for that purpose, instead of for distribution in general.

1 Like

Ah I wish it was a hyperbole. I would try to swap around my schedule but I’m getting into the junior/senior years of high school where there’s honestly no way around it. In the region I live in it’s not uncommon to hear of kids sleeping 3-5 hours a night. I agree that humans do not perform well on insufficient sleep, and it’s definitely something I’m trying to work on.

3 Likes

Human can do fine on less sleep. All the successful people in the past have. Jeff Bezos? Elon Musk? Steve Jobs? I’m not saying sleep 1/2 hours everyday but everyone is different and sometimes less sleep is good and allows you to do more work. It depends person to person, some can function with less sleep and some can’t.

Some people can get by on less sleep, but how likely is it that you’re one of those rare cases?

Incidentally, apparently Jeff Bezos told the Wall Street Journal that “eight hours of sleep gives him the alertness and clarity of thought necessary to tackle each day’s challenges”. Even Musk sleeps for 6 hours (“I tried sleeping less, but then total productivity decreases").

Speaking of sleep and successful people, Bill Gates reviewed the book Why We Sleep, which does a reasonable job of the pro-sleep side of the argument.

My opinion is: a few people are OK on 6 hours of sleep, especially if they’re older; 5 is clearly too little for everybody; I suspect that at least some go-getting people claiming to operate fine on very little sleep are actually telling porkies because of the widespread cultural belief that getting by on little sleep is itself a sign of success and drive; and some people who think they’re fine would actually do better with more sleep.

6 Likes

Yeah, like @pm215 said, I was just referring to the distribution of people by level speed.

I agree that intelligence isn’t a predictor of that, since it’s based more on schedule and consistency.

You’ll actually find bell curves in all kinds of places. It’s probably one of the most common naturally occurring distributions.

1 Like

Most people think they’re on the edges of the bell curve, but by definition they’re not. :joy:

I feel you. I could totally do that in my high school and college days. I still can now, 20 years later, but it’s much, much harder.

1 Like

I feel like it’s not a rare case many people function under little sleep and successfully. My personal opinion on it is that a good amount of people can function with little less sleep than normal, it is just getting use and adjusting to the schedule. Yes some people lie about getting little sleep but I think people can do good without it. Also there are many examples of succesful people who functioned under little sleep. I would love to talk/debate more about this and hear more of your side.

I remember getting 2-4 hours of sleep a night for months, but eventually ending up a wreck. If some people can do that long-term, kudos to them, but I think I’ll leave that to those better equipped for it :smiley: My all-time low was going to use visine for my exhaustion bloodshot eyes, but being so tired I actually poured a couple drops of vape juice into my eye. Good thing I didn’t do it the other way and try to vape eye drops…!

3 Likes

Yeah exactly. I can do it for a few months at most but end up getting saved by the various breaks in the school year. After high school though I’m really trying to avoid this type of schedule because of the long term implications of sleep deprivation. I feel as if some people think that sleeping less is impressive but honestly I’d rather prefer to sleep more if I could.

2 Likes

Honestly be more efficient. You are probably just procrastinating and spending time on all those useless social media apps. If you wanted you could have slept more, but you chose to push off your work and do other things. It’s your fault and no one else’s. Again like I mentioned before less sleep is good. One of the best president, Donald Trump, would sleep 4-5 hours a day. He was efficient and worked well under that amount of sleep and other people can emulate that.
If you don’t believe me, read this: Donald Trump sleeps 4-5 hours each night; he’s not the only famous ‘short sleeper’ - National | Globalnews.ca

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.