Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 7: 都市

Start Date: April 13th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 6
Next Chapter: Chapter 8

Vocabulary List

Kitsun

Here is a vocab list on kitsun.io for the manga. Keep in mind that the vocab list was automatically generated by parsing the manga and running it through a dictionary, so there can be errors. If you see any, be sure to report them (from within Kitsun) so that they can be fixed.

Deck: Kitsun.io

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

6 Likes

So, I was wondering. I know nothing about fuel, gasoline and the like, but doesn’t it go bad at some point? (I don’t know; slow chemical reactions, contamination from random stuff from the environment, …)

2 Likes

Now I’m totally questioning the believability of The Walking Dead.

4 Likes

I imagine it goes bad at some point, it’s just that that point is too far ahead, and we also don’t know for how long they’ve been in this post-apocalyptic scenario. I’d say not that long.

2 Likes

I mean, randomly googling told me that in a metal tank (which seems to be the case here), it’s only good for 3 months, or up to one year with chemical stabilizers. I found some stuff about people being able to start their engine with respectively 3 yo and 5 yo fuel. Considering the state of disrepair of the place (plus how long it took to map the whole area), I have a feeling we are way beyond those numbers.
Now, we can also assume that the gasoline that broke down is lighter than the rest, and thus should rise to the top of the tank. Since they are getting it from the bottom, maybe it’s okay?
Am I overthinking all this? Probably.

4 Likes

It’s magic future fuel.

Nanites did it.

2 Likes

Meow, here are some questions I have…

Page 118

Not sure how to interpret the 身だから part… not even sure what 身 means here…

Not sure how to interpret やつ here… the usual definition of “dude” or “thing” doesn’t seem to fit very well… ?

Page 125

I think I understand the first half (“This is a world where you rarely run into other people”), but not sure what to make out of 他にすべきこともない…

Any help is appreciated!

3 Likes

身 body/somebody/person “because I’m also a body (person) that’s being carried” (I.e. he was given a lift)

it is actually the “thing” meaning. “It’s more like I’m grateful”

2 Likes

他に other than that すべき (する in べき form) should do こと thing も emphasis (here)ない not have-> there’s nothing else I have to do

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanations!

2 Likes

So finally got to this chapter :slight_smile: Been busy today…it looks like only half of the group is at this point…either gave up are behind or didn’t take the poll?

Also surprised to see … no vocab in chap7? …本当に?

is it that easy :wink: haha

2 Likes

Probably it’s just that noone’s added any yet. I haven’t managed to read the chapter…

1 Like

I’m an engineer…and I work in energy and chemicals…this what I do for a living :wink:

knowing the answer will ruin your view of the imaginary world of manga…haha…

but since I can share some insight…

• first off…this post apocalyptic world is post war…first thing anyone will do is ration whatever stock piles they have for fuels (that’s everything)…think WWI/WWII (but apocalypse…so much worse)…

• then imagine these are strategic resources so they will be the first that are attacked to weaken both (or as many sides as are fighting)

• Whatever fuels are left that are fought over, etc…would be gone…or people would just burn them (if I can’t have it no one can…think back to the Iraq war…and all those wells that burned for months…huge environmental mess and such a waste of resources)

• Then assuming you still have fuel left…it’s not really stored “ready to use” in tankage for filling (like you might think)…sorry to burst the bubble…blending pumps are used at the refinery to blend online directly (small quantities) for immediate use to the truck/rail loading racks. This is partly due to the ethanol blending requirements. Ethanol is hydroscopic (absorbs water)…water in fuels is generally bad…so it’s not mixed until it is going to be used. Diesel and Jet is typically pumped through a dryer (depending on what’s available to the facility)…There are tanks for batches that are mixed, but it isn’t just sitting around for more than a day (generally). It’s made and shipped back out. Off spec blends (depending on the reason) are either adjusted for octane or if it’s a sulfur spec that’s off it might be shipped to a different part of the country (usually pipeline)…i.e…stuff that you can’t use in California you can use in other states…

So assuming that all of this somehow happens to be possible… and that by some miracle there is still an undamaged tank full of gasoline range or diesel range material that’s on spec and ready for your tank…if it sits around for a few months…this is what happens…

• First off the light ends vaporize…more of them are added to your winter fuels you need a high enough vapor pressure to start the engine (butanes and light c5s)… these leak continuously through flanges/floating roofs/etc…(it’s very slow but it does happen…post apocalyptic…unmaintained equipment…they will vent off quick)…it’s the reason you can’t just put straight run material into your engine …it won’t start or it will vapor lock (too heavy/too light). or you’ll get knocking (preignition/ damages the engine)…also w/o sulfur and nitrogen treating (hydrotreating)…your catalytic converter will die so fast…and olefins will gum up your injectors… on and on and on…Gasoline and cars now aren’t anything like they were in the early/mid 1900s. Fuels now (all of them) are much cleaner and much less “wild” …You can put in stabilizers to try to maintain fuel for longer term storage, but to last for a post apocalyptic event…forget it…

Sorry to bust the bubble…but apocalyptic events are just bad all around … personally I don’t have any desire to be a prepper…surviving a war is one thing…apocalypse, nothing really left…that’s a whole different thing…that’s truly the end of the world right?

4 Likes

Yep, that’s pretty much what I thought. There’s no way an unmaintained facility would have stuff that you could just put straight into your engine…

3 Likes

Yeah I tried to keep it as simple as possible… It’s general and not a perfect explanation… When people ask what I do… Their eyes glaze over… Lol… So I always have to simplify haha… Why is engineering so much easier for me than Japanese! Why why why lol!

1 Like

Maybe the refuelling station is making its own fuel. Like, out of the air, or something. It certainly looks more intricate than just a fuel storage tank.

I rather like how the sound effect of the fuel pouring is behind the fuel stream. :slightly_smiling_face:

A quick reminder to all not to over-read - the last page of the chapter is 132, the one after the double-page spread. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right! No one ever said this was exactly our planet earth… Maybe the laws of physics work differently here… Fuel from air… Would sure make filling my tank cheaper :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I got stumped on the very first page (115):

この辺じゃ最後の一ヵ所のはずだよ

I’m thinking:
この辺 = this area
じゃ = if (I’m shaky here)
最後の一ヵ所 = the last one place
はずだよ = expected to be + emphasis

Trying to arrange this into a reasonable sentence: “If it’s this area, it’s the last place we expected.”

But that doesn’t seem like a great fit in context :confused:.

3 Likes

It’s a contraction of では.

I think it’s more like “I expect this is the last one in this area.”

6 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: