Join the Intermediate Book Club Here!

キノの旅 Home Thread

Chapter 4 (1/4)

Start Date: April 13
Previous Chapter: Week 5
Next Chapter: Week 7

Week 6 Reading: Chapter 4 (1/4)
Until p.114 (台詞の棒読みのように言った。)

Word lists - Learn the vocabulary for キノの旅!

Discord Reading

(Direct link to discord server)

Reading aloud group

For more info see thread here

With updated dates:

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle_vin:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book
0 voters

Question on grammar I didn’t get.

Page 106 (middle of page):
これ見よがしに、

I pulled a translation as “For this look”, but I don’t get the construction.

That expression is used when someone does something with the intention of making someone else see it, like when you’re showing off.

I’m not sure about the breakdown, but がし seems to be a variation of と言わんばかり (as if to say) when attached to the imperative, and I think 見よ here is a sort of imperative, so the expression is probably something like “as if to say ‘look at this’”, which would make sense.

2 Likes

これ見よがし

It comes from " 此れ見よがし", which takes a meaning similar to showy/pretentious/ostentatious. So “これ見よがしに” pretty much means “pretentiously”.

Chapter 4 in my ebook starts from page 176 and ends on 308. I just passed by “台詞の棒読みのように言った” on page 182. I tried to look if this sentence is written again at the quarter point of the chapter (which should be at ~208), but I didn’t find any. Something feels off…

1 Like

Yes, it does appear again at that point. Wow, it’s indeed unfortunate the author used the same expression twice so close to each other. Must have really liked it.

The sentence before that is 「ああ、そうですか」(it’s ヘルメス talking)

2 Likes

@Abstormal
I don’t know if you’re still reading along?
I’ve not started reading Ch 4 yet, but this is where our books diverge temporarily from the non-furigana version. I just wanted to let you know we can still discuss our chapter at some point over the next couple of weeks, if you like, while the others are doing theirs.

(See the rest of you again in Ch 5 :wink: )

3 Likes

Just finished the part. Was on page 205 (no idea why I missed it when I looked). But anyway, it appears reusing this sentence is intentional, since just before that Kino remembers what she said about having to go serious every once in a while lest her hands grow incapable, and so she repeats that same sentence. After which Hermes repeats his ああそうですか in the same 棒読み tone! Nice.

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I think I have to skip chapter 4. Next week me and my room mates want to paint the floors and I must prepare for the new semester -.-’
I try to jump in at chapter 5 again. And I’ll definelty will read chapter 4 when I have some more time. Have fun together :slight_smile:

~T :lion:

6 Likes

Yes, I just reached that part as well. That makes it annoying to explain where to stop, since there are 4 sentences in a row that are identical to the earlier part of the chapter…

2 Likes

Sorry, I fell of ages ago D=
I’m behind on all of the book clubs at the moment ^^;
I’m planing on catching up on most when I’m in a better place, but will probably skip this one.

4 Likes

That’s cool. Take care of life stuff. We’ll still be here.

We look forward to seeing you back when you can make it. Hang in there!

4 Likes

This has been my first week back at work for the new Japanese school year… and I’ve barely read.

I also caught my first cold of the new school year, so now I’m gonna read until I fall asleep again. e_e

1 Like

After falling behind on the second week, I am finally caught up! Hehe. It was very nice reading peoples thoughts and grammar questions these past few weeks, so thanks everyone for those ^^

My thoughts on this week’s reading:

Forcing random travelers to fight or they are enslaved? And your surrender doesn’t count until your opponent accepts it? Wow this is really disgusting. I am almost annoyed at the author for making such an annoying setup :expressionless:.

I was pretty lost on the description of loading the guns. I suppose I should go back and take a more thorough look at it at some point, but as far as I could tell there were no details that seem to be of much story significance. Could someone who followed it tell me if there is something important I’m missing?

3 Likes

Since Kino never fights without a good reason, I guess the author had to provide such reason… It’s also completely evil to not inform people about it before it’s too late. I wonder if it’s in the fine prints of the documents they have to sign for admission (if such document exists)

About the gun, I’ve understood the description, at least, but since I know nothing about guns, it’s hard to visualize. Anyway, there’s indeed no significance to the story, except showing Kino is an expert. (That was mentioned in previous stories, but since they are standalone people might not be reading in order or skipping)

1 Like

I’m super behind as usual. Pages 104 and 105 were a bit dense, so I want to check my understanding. Let me know if I missed anything important or made any mistakes.

Pages 104 and 105 spoilers
  • Entering the country is automatic qualification for entering the competition.
    • Is 参加資格 so specifically used for competitions that it was obvious to Kino that it was a contest?
  • If you don’t enter the contest you become a slave.
  • If you break the country’s rules (by not choosing to enter or become a slave?) you die.
  • Every three months they have this competition where the winner becomes a citizen of the country.
  • The competition has 5 battles over 3 days.
  • You can use any weapon you want, but can’t observe other matches.
  • Even if you try to surrender, you can’t really surrender until/unless your opponent acknowledges your surrender.
  • If you can’t move you lose, but usually that means you’ve died.
  • If you try to flee you’ll be killed as soon as you’re found.
  • Citizens come and watch (plus the king in his dedicated area) and they can’t complain if they’re hit or killed by a stray bullet.
  • The lone survivor will get their citizenship medal directly from the king.
  • At that time they can request one rule to be added to the country’s rules. Any rule is okay, as long as it doesn’t contradict an existing rule.
  • It may seem like a way for citizens to participate in the management of the country, but it’s actually just a reward.
  • Almost all the winners create selfish rules, like saying that their house can’t be destroyed (basically).
4 Likes

[quote=“seanblue, post:17, topic:36132”]
At that time they can request one rule to be added to the country’s rules. Any rule is okay, as long as it doesn’t contradict an existing rule.
[/quote]

I have to reread this section. I thought it was the opposite, that it could contradict.

1 Like

I’m not too pleased by it either especially after the one a couple of chapters back where the guy executed everyone. I liked the more lighthearted stories better. Also, not to complain too much but the gun details don’t really interest me and I kind of skim over them since they feel more like an excuse for the author to show his interest/knowledge more than anything else. Maybe I’d feel differently if I was more familiar with Kino’s character. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Those are all the same things that I got from that section, except for this one question:

Can you explain grammatically how 俺様の住む家がなくてはならない means that their house can’t be destroyed? I wasn’t sure what that part was trying to say, my guess was that that person was saying he wants a house as a reward, like なくてはならない = 必要? But again, not sure at all.

I can’t comment on the specificity of 参加資格 so others please chime in!