Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Chapter 6: 遭遇

Start Date: April 6th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 5
Next Chapter: Chapter 7

Vocabulary List

Kitsun

Here is a vocab list on kitsun.io for the manga. Keep in mind that the vocab list was automatically generated by parsing the manga and running it through a dictionary, so there can be errors. If you see any, be sure to report them (from within Kitsun) so that they can be fixed.

Deck: Kitsun.io

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

6 Likes

I knew almost every single kanji in this chapter. Kind of amused at how frequently kanji or vocab I’ve literally just learnt come up in book clubs each week - like 遭遇, for example - but that could just be… watchumacallit. You know, the one where someone mentions something, and suddenly you’re seeing it all over the place.

Honestly curious as to whether Kanazawa is specifically named after the city (though it’s not an uncommon Japanese surname - looks like it’s 351st on the frequency list).

9 Likes

It’s always been there…you just now are noticing it…happens all the time to me…watching TV or reading anything…suddenly I’ll hear something that’s been there all along! Then I see or hear it all the time… :wink:

I think it’s the same as the new car syndrome…you never see any on the road until you buy whatever it you wanted and then suddenly everyone has one. When in fact they were there but you just didn’t notice them as much :smile:

4 Likes

: D

10 Likes

Ah, that’s the one. I keep getting the name confused with the Dunning-Kruger effect…

1 Like

There sure are a lot of ways to be biased.

7 Likes

The real question is, where are you on the chart right now? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

What about Imposter Syndrome, where confidence doesn’t climb back up with experience?

2 Likes

Bamboozled again!

8 Likes
Continuing on this tangent

There’s also this thing called Expert Beginner, which I find interesting. It’s kind of an extension of the Dunning Kruger Effect.

How Developers Stop Learning: Rise of the Expert Beginner - DaedTech

3 Likes

By the way, fair warning: there’s no clear separation between chapters from now on. I just read next week’s chapter by accident.

(There’s still a chapter number and title if you are paying attention)

4 Likes

Yeah, to be precise, the chapter ends page 114 (i.e. when they reach the top of the “bridge”, and then introduce themselves to Kanazawa.)

3 Likes

Alright. Caught up entirely with Wanikani, caught up with all other flashcards that matter, caught up with 少女終末旅行. Onwards and upwards.

7 Likes

Good job! I’m almost caught up with everything too.

Just finished catching up from chapter 3 til now, and I gotta say I’m so glad this club exists. It’s so gratifying, and helpful! to see and comprehend the kanji and vocab I’ve been learning in WK! Onwards indeed!

Maybe it’s time I start watching the anime … any of y’all who have, how far along are we? I don’t want to spoil the rest of the manga I intend to read! heh

1 Like

We just started the third episode. It’s two to three chapters per episode.

The entire series only covers four volumes of the manga (out of six).

1 Like

Ah, good to know! ありがとう〜

1 Like

Ok…finally getting to Chapter 6…Busy trying to squash leeches :smiley:

....lame question on Page 97

In the bubbles at the bottom left, I thought I understood everything and it made sense until I looked at the English translation…so maybe it’s probably a stupid question…but you folks are awesome and keep answering all of them so… :smiley:

I linked these too bubbles together and read them as one:

頭がおかしくなったと思うって

なってねえよ

I translated this as: I thought you were going (becoming) crazy.

The English one did this:

It’s not always obvious to me who’s talking…but I that that was Yuuri speaking in entirety…responding to “why did you hit me”

What am I missing in this translation?

EDIT: (Thanks Belthazar)

So I'd translate it as

I thought you were going crazy
I’m not (going crazy).

I don’t like the reading in the English manga…it just sounds bizarre to me…
Mine’s better :laughing: Thanks to Belthazar!

1 Like

It goes
Yuu: 頭がおかしくなったと思うって
Chii: なってねえよ

なってねえよ is Chii negating the なった verb in Yuu’s line. In English, we negate a previous statement by using the copula or other replacement generic verb (like “to do”) - i.e. Chii’s “well, it didn’t”.

“Did you run here?”
“No, I did not.”

In Japanese, you negate the same verb they used instead.

ここに走ったか
走らなかった

5 Likes

Thanks! I edited my post above…

I think I’m too tired after this insane work day to tackle anymore tonight…all of this feels harder than it normally does…I’m sleepy!

Last two questions:

Page 98

I can’t for the life of me figure this one out…please someone break this down?

No 1:

そうやって translated as (thus/therefore)
行そき着く先に (ichi moe helped a little) but it’s still unclear how this breaks down…also haven’t run into the readings that are coming up in WK yet… (ぎょうそきつくさきに) and jisho has something different…

I tried to figure it out from the English and that confused me more…Didn’t see road in that sentence?

No 2:
あ 寝てるな Read this as: Ah…don’t sleep
これ… Read this as: (we’re) here

But the English didn’t translate it this way at all

I’m just so tired from work so this feels impossible…I know it’s not, but can’t do anymore tonight…ugh WK reviews came up…after that bed!

Thank you for the help!

1 Like