えほんのチャレンジ:0歳 "Picture Book Challenge: Age 0"

Yep, you’re right! って is a casual version of と, and なぜかというと has its own jisho entry. Your translation fits pretty well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I should have tried searching on jisho for the whole phrase, lol. Anyway, I’ve updated my notes. Much appreciated :heart:.

Enjoying this challenge. Trying to do a couple of books at lunch even if the difficulty level is already a bit inconsistent (as people have previously noted) with the Shinkansen one feeling like a brick wall before some pleasantly baby-ish ones (if you’re doing them in the inputsenpai order, anyway.) My technique currently is trying to read the book in one go (no lookup), then do a lookup of all grammar/vocab I don’t know while going through the book once more. If I notice they’re repeating phrases that I don’t know a lot though I’ll stop half-way, look up the key most-repeated phrases and then continue/restart, but my goal is trying to stick to reading, not translating.

4 Likes

Yeah, for the inputsenpai app I just ordered the books by their appearance on EhonNavi, but I think after we finish this challenge it’d be nice to re-order them by difficulty! Might be kind of hard to judge, since there are so many, but there are definitely books that are like, “Whoa, this is much harder to read than the other ones”.

Also, I like your technique! I’ve been doing something similar. Also as I’ve gone through the books I’ve been translating word-for-word less, as it makes it more enjoyable. Re-reading is a solid strategy. Just have to remember to keep the window open!

Anyway, I’m glad you’re enjoying the challenge :D!

Hi all!

I’ve ran into a book (くらげのりょかん) that I mis-classified, and should be in the Age 2 category instead of Age 0, so I’ve removed it from the app for now! This means that our total books we need to read has dropped from 75 to 74, yay :D. I’ll update the wiki accordingly.

2 Likes

Here’s my post to keep track of things I come across that I might want to refer back to.

ぱかっ

色なものがぱかっと開くと何がでてくるのかな
子供も大人もにっにり笑顔になる施絵本

あいさつのえほん

挨拶の絵本
あいさつのえほん

かわいいね

くすぐったい!
くすぐる
擽る
Godan verb with ru ending, Transitive verb

1. to tickle​ Usually written using kana alone
    てんとうむし- Ladybag
    Mnemonic - A Lady bug has ‘ten toes’
つみき

やった

1. hooray; whee; hot dog!; you beaut; whacko; yowzer!; whoopee!; yes!​
    Other forms
    やったー、やったあ

むしてんとう虫
Noun

1. ladybug (Harmonia axyridis); ladybird​
    mnemonic - a Ladybug has ten toes.
2 Likes

Hello hello!

We’re a little over half way through the month - how’s the challenge going for everyone?!

I’d say that after those first few ones, overall the books have been pretty simple and enjoyable!

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can only read them on my computer (the app only shows random books of various levels). So I’m lagging quite behind!

I managed to learn some new words from this books, so all in all it’s been good. I don’t think I’ll make it in a month but I’ll keep doing them when I can!

I’m a bit late for the challenge, but I’m gonna do my best…

2 Likes

I’m also lagging a bit :sweat_smile: Finding it quite difficult to juggle this with the book clubs, but I probably just need to get into a routine… I’ll try to make up a schedule of sorts, that usually helps for me.

How are you doing, @nbeck0212?

1 Like

Wow, March is already half over…?

I’m also a little behind, but I’ve set aside two hours to try and catch up today! I think I’ll try to make a schedule also to try and keep myself reading these books regularly.

Omg you’ve already got 67 books down. That’s awesome! applauds

2 Likes

@VictorLino
That’s too bad that the app isn’t working out better for you. Best wishes with keeping up with it! No rush really, even if we’re in a “challenge”.

@Cryptomilk
You got this! Let us know if you have any questions :heart:

@Belerith
Yeah I’m only participating in the Absolute Beginner’s Book Club, and I can manage that pace + the children’s books. I get how it could be difficult to juggle it all though, esp. if you’re doing multiple book clubs @__@. Hopefully that schedule helps for you!

@_Shiori
Yeah, isn’t it crazy that March is already half over?! This year is sure moving along! Good luck with your catch up and schedule. Let us know if we can do anything to help :D. And thanks for the applause, that’s v. sweet! :heart:

ALSO, I’m already thinking about the Age 1 books. At last count they were less than Age 0 (somewhere around 43 or so), so maybe this format (in a new thread) would still work? Let me know what you all think!!

3 Likes

I actually managed to finish my reading and annotations for the book clubs for this week already. Oo quite unexpected after last week. I have also made a bit of progress on this challenge, so I’m quite happy.

No wonder you’re already thinking of the next age group - you’re just about done with this one! Will you start right away with the next one?

2 Likes

Nice job on completing those readings and progressing in this challenge! I’ve found that a fair amount of the books are short, so that helps with making good progress.

I’m thinking that it works well to try to start on the 1st of the month, so I’ll probably do that again with the Age 1 challenge. Since the number of books is less, people who haven’t finished all the Age 0 books would still probably be able to catch up. And even if they can’t, the app I made and the books will still be there, so people can really go at their own pace :). I just like having a bit of a deadline for myself, to help me stay motivated!

2 Likes

I think I found the formula to write a children’s book: show various animals doing a certain thing (chicken, elephant, rabbit, cat, dog, etc.) and then show a toddler doing the same thing :rofl:

5 Likes

:joy: Sounds about right!

2 Likes

And lots of gently rolling things. ころころころころ

3 Likes

Blitzing the collection in the last week

My Stuff
  • かばくん いま なんじ was really good for remembering/drilling the ‘lets do’ form of verbs
  • どうぶつのおやこ was really cute and somehow very challenging to read. Was kinda stumped in places where I couldn’t break down the sentence to understand the overall meaning. Also the pages got pixelated after 11, so :man_shrugging:
  • This train book (しんかんせん だいしゅうごう) seems insanely difficult compared to the picture books previously. Really cool part is the vocab from early wk is being used so connections are being made
  • かわいいね was sooo cute. Especially the part where the kid flies into the mom’s lap
  • ほらそっくり is a good review of body parts
  • あかちゃん たいそう has lethal levels of cuteness
6 Likes

Placeholder comment so the tread doesn’t jump up each time I edit my log

2 Likes

Go go go! You can do eeet! :smiley:

3 Likes