Road to 60, how I got here, and other stuff

Hi there, as many of you probably know already I reached level 60 yesterday. It has been a long and exhausting journey but so very worth it. I’ve spent so long at WaniKani it feels almost unreal that I’m actually at the end. Here is my level up timetable

This seems super impressive, until you look at the fact I wasted nearly a year on WaniKani and had to reset to level 1 a while back. I was discouraged, demotivated at the time, but what brought me back was pure determination. I said to myself, “I started this, I’m no quitter, and I will see this to the end, no matter what” and so I began the climb back up and here I am now. With that out of the way here’s the good stuff:

The beginning

It’s funny, the thing that originally got me started had nothing to do with Japanese or Japan in the slightest. I was in a Discord server for Red vs Blue (an animated web series) and I guess the owner was a friend of the owner of another Discord server and made an announcement for others to join. This was a Japanese learning server, and that’s how it all began. I was a little curious since I consumed a lot of Japanese media at the time, though nowhere close to how much I do now. So I figured I’d join and give it a shot, and it all spiraled from there. When I joined one of the first things I got introduced to was Tofugu’s hiragana and katakana guides, and from there WaniKani.

Getting to 60

In order to not fall in the hole that I did before I made a promise to myself, always do WaniKani at least once a day, even if it’s just a few reviews. That was to make sure that I never fall behind again, and I did so much more. Eventually, I think maybe around level 15 or so I began to get into a bit of a schedule and really figured out the SRS system and how best to utilize it for me. I decided to start doing 20 lessons a day, every day and never go to bed with reviews not done. It worked amazing for me until around lvl 50 which I’ll get into soon. What’s important is maintaining a consistent schedule that you can stick to every day except for extreme cases.

Now starting from lvl 49 it’s nothing but fast levels, this is why it’s so difficult. If you attempt to go for less than 4 day levels all the way through it’s really going to be hell. In order to keep up and not have lessons remaining on level up I had to do 40 lessons a day nearly ever day for well over a month. Due to the nature in that the reviews piled up as well, I had 300-400 reviews a day almost every day during this time. Unless you have an absurd amount of free time, I wouldn’t recommend it, I even started regretting it myself about halfway through. I’m someone driven by determination though so I wasn’t going to stop so soon and drove myself forward as painful as it was.

Special note here: if you want to get to lvl 60 as fast as you can, check out this wonderful guide by our very own @jprspereira
My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 ) - #2 by jprspereira
The entire thing’s great but I think in particular sections 4-7 are most relevant for this topic.

What now?

Now that I’m level 60 I do plan on continuing WaniKani, but only until my subscription runs out which is on December 30. I personally believe that with my current financial situation WaniKani has provided more than enough use and at that point I can start investing my time/money in other resources for improvement. I will still be here in the forums to chat and whatever. I’m planning on investing a lot of my time into reading going forward.

My plan as of now is that I’m going to read all the books I currently have with floflo to help me get started with reading and really build up my vocabulary. After that I plan to use Kitsun for future material for all the new words I find that I believe are noteworthy. There are 6 books I have which are in floflo so I’m hoping to increase my vocabulary by a lot before I’ll have to start making decks on Kitsun myself for the other books. That way, at least I’m hoping, I won’t have to add like 10 words per page. I’m going to be participating in the 時をかける少女 book club so that will certainly help a lot for reading my first novel start to end. After I feel like my reading level is at a comfortable level I may try to work on listening/speaking since I’m particularly terrible at both. My primary goal is reading so it doesn’t bother me that much but still I think I should improve on them sometime.

If there’s anything I missed or you want to know something I haven’t included feel free to ask and I’ll answer as best as I can.

64 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada:

4 Likes

おめでとうございます! :congratulations::champagne::star_struck::tada::confetti_ball:

original

I’m so so proud of you, and that graph is 本当に綺麗 :bar_chart::durtle_love: you’re a testament to other users that it’s more than possible to come back to WK and still make it to 60 even if that means resetting at some point along the way ^^ お疲れ様 :exclamation: Enjoy all the cake :cake::durtle_the_explorer: !

yui cake rysing

giphy

493CBC6C-3427-4E03-9A8D-5CC90AAF4E2B

838E5144-90E0-4F16-9AB7-2B34A6B65A9F

:crabigator::balloon::six::zero::balloon::crabigator:

8 Likes

Well, first of all Congratulations!!

I believe I first noticed you when I made a post about how at level 16 you can read a lot of kanji on websites but not understanding much at all. (You made a comment there) That’s a while back, and you were in your 20’s and never gave up.

I’ve seen a lot of people going with the “slow and steady wins the race” in which I mostly like the steady part of it.

So what I’m saying is that you were a sort of secret go fast buddy for me, and I couldn’t be more happy to watch you made it.

Thank you for sharing your achievement with us, and I wish you the best

7 Likes

Congratulations, hitting level 60 on WaniKani is a big milestone on your Japanese journey. Its so cool to see people finally hit that 60 mark, it keeps me motivated to push on. I wasted a lot of time for awhile, but now I’m back on the ball and leveling up. You should feel very proud, it’s an amazing achievement. I hope that your Japanese learning would continue, and your knowledge would continue to grow now that you’ve completed WaniKani. Best of luck to you as you continue on your journey past WaniKani.

6 Likes

Noted.

2 Likes

Great job! Wish you the best.

2 Likes

congratulations!
your speed is absolutely mind-blowing to me; my goal is 2-week levels but I haven’t managed to do it in under double that time yet. I’ll work harder!!!

4 Likes

Congrats! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Almost done with my WK as well! ^^

5 Likes

Congrats Rysing!

6922109d3257b85fda4254e5492188b0

4 Likes

good job making a comeback and then pulling through. that’s a one in a million thing, judging from all the lowbies who replied to threads from years ago, who then quit a few levels later, multiplied with x (for all those who didn’t bother with forums). out of all these people, there aren’t many who made a comeback, and probably only you then got to 60.

an epic journey. i aim to follow your path, after i came back after 3 years, then resetting. it’s a huge undertaking, but you’ve proven it’s doable.

万歳🙌

4 Likes

Congratulations!! :partying_face:
I was right there with you at the start of the fast levels and it was fun watching you skyrocket like that! xD

7 Likes

Said it before, but I’ll say it again: congratulations on your accomplishment after all that hard work and dedication! :tada::confetti_ball: :purple_heart:

You worked for it and you made it happen - I’ll remind myself of that when the going gets tough. ^-^

5 Likes

The end of one journey is but the beginning of another! wipes tear from eye

Congratulations, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart. I can only imagine how much this means to you by imagining how much it will mean to me when I get there.

5 Likes

Congratulations! Make sure to enjoy that cake, you’ve earned it!

I already knew you were good from other places in forums but after reading this I was still impressed. After reading about your journey I was inspired and got even more motivation to set this consistency and speed as a goal! (Basically saying I want to be like you when I grow up xD)

Looking forward to reading the book with you!!

4 Likes

now you earned your name. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Eyyyyy, congratulations Rysing! I remember you talking about the possibility of dropping WaniKani around level 40 for tactical reasons not so long ago, so it’s awesome to see you powered through and made it to that sweet sweet golden badge :blush:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

You probably already know, but just in case you aren’t familiar with him, check out Dogen’s Patreon for videos on pronunciation and pitch accent. It is one of THE best resources for getting better at speaking.

1 Like

Congratulations! :heart: :durtle: :durtle_love:

2 Likes

Congratulations Rysing!!! :tada::tada::sparkles:

Let me just tell you that these past months, I got to see you improving as an individual like crazy :slight_smile: Not just with Japanese, but also with how you were more comfortable expressing your thoughts. I really appreciate having you as a friend mate :heart:

Cheers to what’s coming! :wine_glass::wine_glass: :sparkles:

Also, thank you for the mention :3

8 Likes