Aria the Masterpiece Home Thread

Aria the Masterpiece Chapter 5: 希望の丘

Aria the Masterpiece Volume 1

Start Date: July 21th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 4
Next Chapter: Chapter 6

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for content that would be considered a spoiler.
  • When asking for help, please mention the page, panel, and speech bubble. Be sure to mention if you are reading a version other than Aria the Masterpiece.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

Wooooh, over halfway through once we read this chapter! but first, to bed

I still have to understand if we are following any kind of timezone here :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, chapter 5, here I come! (… tomorrow, too many pints in my blood stream :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

I’m opening the threads Friday night my time because if I wait until my Saturday morning it will already be Saturday night in Japan and Australia. Also, last chapter I got yelled at by @Kyasurin when I waited too long and it was 10AM her time. :sweat_smile:
(yelled at in a nice way :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

I’d quite like to hear people’s impressions on this chapter from people who are reading it for the first time. For me, who’s read it multiple times I already know what’s coming, but it still hits me right in the feels.

It’s a Japanese book, so, Japanese time seems like a good timezone to follow. That it also makes a convenient time for us here in Australia is a complete coincidence. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It was really nice :slight_smile:
That being said, I saw it coming when the chapter opened with aika having passed the test, and people saying “good luck” on the way…

A perfectly legitimate reason.

1 Like

Okies, questions from my first Japanese readthrough. Starting with the one I had last chapter. :stuck_out_tongue:

Page 150, the omake panel, does たのもー have some kind of literary reference? Because Tokyopop’s translation has elected to render it as “What light through yonder…”

Page 153, I find it rather odd that Jisho defines 一人前 as “full-fledged” and 見習い as “apprentice” but only has “half a man” for 半人前. Is this a sort of special usage here?

Page 165, I’m no expert, but isn’t half an hour quite a long time for a lock to fill, even one of that size? The ones on the Panama canal only take eight minutes. Also, full page of exposition, whew.

Page 166, first speech bubble in the final panel, I get the meaning (“Rather than work…”), but exactly where would I find that っつー in the dictionary?

Page 170, second last panel, that spirally symbol… I get the tone, but what on earth?

Page 177, I don’t mind telling you, I cry happy tears every time I read this page.

Ah how I love to wake up on a Saturday morning and inhale the scent of a freshly made thread!

Honed by years of practicing on my husband. :joy:

I really like the pastoral landscapes and Akari’s reaction to the locks. Which is a very natural reaction for someone who has never seen one.

I also saw it coming as soon as the second person said がんばって。

3 Likes

No idea, alas, but I did find a fascinating paper on translations of Shakespeare into Japanese during the Meiji period. I would have expected a quote from The Merchant of Venice under the circumstances, rather than Romeo & Juliet, but never mind!

goo has 一人前の半分の働きしかしないこと。
見習い is talking more about the process of being a trainee, while 半人前 is the situation of not being able to do as much as a fully trained person. Maybe we just don’t have the exact same concept in English? I see someone put in journeyman, which I had also thought of adding, but I only know that usage from novels and never heard it said in real life.

Possibly so, but you wouldn’t want a small boat like a gondola to be inundated. A sturdier/bigger boat would cope with a faster inflow of water better.

Isn’t that something impolite because she saw アリア社長 scoffing their 弁当?

1 Like

It’s an edo period expression. You were supposed to say that when you wanted to catch the attention of the person inside (doorbells did not exist yet, obviously). The standard answer is どうれー (“how may I help you?”)

Now, why is she speaking like someone from the Edo period, no idea… Also, they probably have doorbells in the far future.

I think @Kyasurin has answered the other questions :slight_smile:

Edit: oops, nevermind, some questions remained:

It’s という. I don’t know if there’s a dictionary of slurred speech, but I guess it would come in handy :thinking:

Oh, yeah. I’ve seen it before, so I didn’t pay too much attention to it, but I also wonder what it’s called, where it comes from, etc…

1 Like

I lol’d at the first couple of panels on p.154 where after Akari asked about the contents of the exam, Aika looks and says “Not telling!”

After the second or third 頑張って I realized.

The last panel on p.182 - I understand most of this sentence except - 卵達 does this mean “in the making”?

1 Like

I don’t have the book with me, but 卵 is a colloquial way to call a beginner trainee, which I guess is the correct meaning here based on the context you gave. I’ve also heard ひよこ for a trainee with a bit more experience.
達 is just plural.

2 Likes

It’s a nice sentence for a summary.

Just like passing the JLPT? :grinning:

2 Likes

Gotta say, though, on page 159, that is one biiiig gondola.

Just noticed someone added the following line to the vocab sheet:

うまい
skilful; clever; expert; wise; successful​
Pretty sure Jiisan is saying 「おうまいね」」but who knows?

He’s saying おうっ (new line) まーな, something like “Right. Something like that.” Or something like that.

1 Like

Yeah, I wanted to get rid of the うまい suggestion but wasn’t confident enough to axe it just in case I was wrong :see_no_evil: I don’t know who added the おうまいね comment, but I thought the まー bit was just まあ, like “guess so”.

If there was uncertainty over it a question should probably have been posted here rather than adding it (potentially confusingly) to the vocab sheet.

2 Likes

First read through done! I’ll try to give it the second read later tonight (if I don’t boil alive because of the weather)

I think you mentioned you were in the UK too? I don’t remember the last time it rained… D:

Hmm, I dunno, I thought that at first too, but the small ones I know take a decent amount of time to fill (5 - 10 minutes? not quite sure), and from the pictures this one looks huge. I imagine the big ones which fill that fast irl are designed for equally large and therefore stable vessels, whereas this is still for small passenger boats.

I am gonna know an absurd amount of weather- and canal-related vocabulary by the time we finish this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Although, they tend to use the word 水道 - (waterway(?)) instead of 運河 - (word I know for “canal”) a lot when referring to the canals of Neo Venezia.

1 Like