300 in Level 4 and other month/number combination

In the first levels I had to learn the numbers, which is nice.

Then kanjis for 1000 and 10 000 appeared, and moooore combinations of numbers.

Same with months:

いちがつ
にがつ
さんがつ。。。

So now I’m in level 4, having to learn 100, 200, 400, 500 because the kanji for month came out and … oh jesus, now again 6 words… how many words do I have to learn just to repeat the numbers for just 4 kanjis in these four levels? . For MONTH kanji I just need one word. I don’t need to learn the numbers again.

Frustrated by this, I checked the list I will have to learn , and I found out 300 is not in the list, which is probably the MOST important combination to remember, since it’s pronounced SAN BYAKU instead of SAN HYAKU, unlike the rest.

In fact, why learn 100 200 400 500 … when you can just learn 500 for example, and 300 which is the different one?.

Also, any of the meanings contains the numbers (100 instead of one hundred, hundred) which is faster to write. I had to add the numbers to every single word I found to write fast.

Very annoying.

2 Likes

800 too is a bit different as its both はっ and びゃく。
You don’t often see はっ apart from with some specific counters so I think its better to learn when you do use it.

The only ones that spring immediately to mind are 八百、and 八千

https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/三百

That repetition is for extra reinforcement. That simple. You might have learned it on your first try, but you can’t assume everyone is like that.

2 Likes

Well. Then 800 is not in the list either, I think. That would be confusing

why is that for level 6 ?? It’s really important now! Instead of adding 100, 200, 400, 500 and so on, they should include this one instead.

Counters changing on 3, 6 and 8 are pretty common though.

百、千、匹 for example.
分 too.

Eh, there are only so many items like this. Probably took you longer to post this and keep up with replies than it will take in total for you to review and burn them all.

1 Like

I am having a deja vu here. I think pretty much the same question/complaint was posted a few months ago. :woman_shrugging:

It’s a fairly common question

I’m only posting here because it bothered me a little too.

no problem, you can post without any reason too. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Madness.
:disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

It is common to hear complaints about wk being so slow at lower levels. These vocabs may be unnecessary. Or not. It’s debatable. But at least it gives you something to do. And it gave me a small sense of accomplishment. And as kumirei pointed out there are only so many items like this. It’s only an issue in the lower levels.

1 Like

800 too is a bit different as its both はっ and びゃく。

Ok, I am REALLY confused about the pronunciation on this one. Is that small tsu a typo? I thought small tsu was exclusively for double consonants? Is it pronounced like はっつ? はつ? Is it a new reading entirey?

WHAT’S GOING ON, MAN?!? (•ิ_•ิ)?

its small つ.
I mean, you get はっせん and はっぴゃく so small つ。

1 Like

thank you, I wasn’t sure if that was meant to be used alone or in combination kanji

I can only think of a few words like that.
The only one which jumps to mind is the phonetically ridiculous 突っ突く

Only 300, 600 and 800 are different in hundred series, in thousands series only 3K and 8K are different

1 Like

These do stick out as excessive in the early levels, but very soon enough will be drowned out amid the immense flood of other things you’re learning. In short order you won’t be worried about this at all.

1 Like

Well… for the sake of not mixing them up. By the time one reaches level 6, one has already memorized all those items with the same reading.

2 Likes