30 years in Japan - just started WaniKani

Logic would suggest you are right to think there is a drop-off in accuracy the more kanji you are forced to remember, I second that statement.

2 Likes

Hello! Welcome!

I enjoyed your story :slight_smile: I would love to have lived in Japan for 30 years!

My accuracy is usually in the 80ā€™s or 90ā€™s - every now and then (especially if I donā€™t rush) Iā€™ll earn my 100% accuracy. I cherish these moments :stuck_out_tongue: I donā€™t know much Japanese at all. I studied a few chapters of the Genki textbook in a course for six months, but 95% of what Iā€™ve learned in levels 1-5 has been new content.

Youā€™re definitely coming at it from a very different angle though! I wonder if itā€™s harder to correct ones you have learned that are slightly incorrect (such as 名字), than it is for someone like me who is learning it new? :thinking: Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an expression like old habits die hard or something.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to live in Japan for a while. I started learning Japanese in high school at 15. At 35, I decided I was sick of not being fluent and WaniKani was something I stumbled upon whilst using Jisho.org. My accuracy at level 11 is still pretty good. Iā€™m still finding words I already knew from long ago or just from running into the wild either online or what have you.

(Honestly, I donā€™t think I could date anyone ever again who doesnā€™t speak Japanese. Thanks, WaniKani!)

2 Likes

Welcome to Wanikani. Iā€™m glad to hear from someone that isnā€™t rushing through it. In my case I knew about 300 kanji before starting WK. Earlier on I knew most of the kanji, but sometimes I would make spelling mistakes, give the wrong reading or give an answer that was right, but isnā€™t the answer they were looking for. For those reasons my percentage correct hasnā€™t dipped too much since reaching new kanji/vocab. Once I get more deeper into unknown territory I think it will fall, especially if I donā€™t find time to practice in between. For me Iā€™ve surprisingly stayed in the 90%, but honestly Iā€™m not worried about percentages or comparing myself. Itā€™s about focusing on yourself and doing what you can to the best of your ability.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.