Speak with native Japanese speakers in VRChat

Wasn’t sure where to share this, but I guess this could be treated as a resource. Let me know if there is a better place.

I’ve recently started using VRChat, which is basically a metaverse in development. While I personally use it in VR, which is the most amazing thing ever, it can also be used without it. In a nutshell, you can come and just chat with people all around the world. Second Life would be similar to what this is.

But for me, the most amazing discovery was a couple of “worlds” which were made by Japanese users and now plenty of Japanese hang out there, even at 6am JST. So personally it turned out the best possible place to go and practice my spoken Japanese for free and even make some friends.

Anyways, I now plan to at least drop by for an hour every evening to force myself to talk in Japanese more often. While currently I am mostly listening and try to engage in conversation, I can see how quickly this will make me speak with more confidence.

So check it out and let me know if you wanna hang out, my username is the same in there DouTatsu: https://www.vrchat.net/

26 Likes

“For Free” is a bit of a stretch when you consider the cost of entry for an enhanced version of HelloTalk

1 Like

Might wanna read the original post again. It can be used without VR and in fact ~70% of users in my experience don’t have VR at all.

I also use VRChat on my Vive, and didn’t know there were Japanese worlds, thanks for the suggestion!

6 Likes

Ah, learned something new. Thanks

3 Likes

What @felix330 said, you literally can just download the app and jump in. No need for VR

Popular Japanese worlds I frequent are the Japanese Shrine and this fantasy tavern, need to double check the name

3 Likes

Is there no mac version?

I am afraid not yet :frowning:

um, how to get to the world?

Oh wow, I was just in VRChat for the first time today! The first person I talked to had hiragana characters, so we talked Japanese. :slight_smile: Second person was Chinese, met him on the Titanic ship singing Celine Dion “My Heart Will Go On” in his Chinese accent.

I don’t use VR, but my friend does, and he was using his VR stuff today.

I will swing by, my name in there is the same as here. But I’m still a newbie. I was trying to say it was my first day, and I was like “Watashi no ichi-nichi”, and he was like “Wakarimasen…” ROFL!

11 Likes

Also, it is totally free, and I don’t use VR like I said. It was just a spontaneous decision this morning. Within 3 minutes of the idea, I was in the world choosing my avatar. I searched for “Japanese” and saw Japanese Shrine world.

1 Like

Nice one, I’ve been getting pretty addicted myself, probably put around 5 hours in just the last weekend. Playing in VR is just something else, I doubt I’d be that active if it wasn’t for that.

I’ll add you when I am in there again and show you the worlds I know that have a lot of Japanese people :smiley:

it’s only for Windows? No MAC version?

Correct. Probably because while it doesn’t require VR, it was still made for it primarily, and VR on mac is basically nonexistent.

can u add me too please? i really want to learn more japanese!

Added you @rakkun and @tiamo if you do have exactly those names in VRChat :smiley:

1 Like

Got my steam account reset, so now have an official VRChat one. Will add you again @rakkun @tiamo

thanks, but my user is nagine joshu
thank you very much!

1 Like

I need to learn a bit more to be at least conversational in Japanese. :slight_smile: I’ll be trying again in like a month.

Do you know any other popular Japanese VRChat servers? I tried the Japanese Shrine but there was no one on there.

Also, add me! SomewhatUnorthodox.