The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Ask your small questions here which are to small for a separate Thread.

For grammar related Questions:

14 Likes

I’ll start first then!
Is it normal that I find easier kaniwani (en->jp) than wanikani (jp->English) for vocabulary?
What should I implement In my routine to get better at jp->en recognition?
Thanks a bunch~!

2 Likes

This is what I do.

I visualize the symbols in 3d in my living room.
They must be big and detailed.
Some are made out of cheese :slight_smile:

Then I read the mnemonic while thinking about the different parts of the kanji or vocab.

Then I visualize the story of the mnemonic like a slide film and somewhere I put the kanji/vocab into the scene. As tablelegs for example.

I have problems to recognize the words if they are not written in kanji btw :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Quick question: What’s wrong with all the other quick question threads?

2 Likes

Archived

18 Likes

thank you so much, I’ll try to do that next time! (: I find it very weird since english is not my native language either so it should be easier the other way around.
Thanks a lot by the way! super helpful :smiley:

2 Likes

Could we call this something like ‘The Quick Language Questions Thread (not grammar)’, and maybe link to the grammar quick questions thread in the OP, to help distinguish this from e.g. questions about WK itself or Japan, or whatever?

7 Likes

To be honest, I can only remember the mnemonics when they are super fresh or when I have failed to write the reading or the meaning of a kanji more than three times in my reviews. After I learn them for the first time, I always forget them, but the feeling of being miserable and frustrated that is inevitably generated by repeated failure jolts my brain into actually remembering the mnemonics.
I dunno if I would recommend this process to anyone, though, letting yourself fail over and over again to generate a feeling that will enable the brain to absorb info, I mean; kinda feels like I’m punishing myself in order to learn better, lul. It also depends how good your memory is; mine is dumpster level, so that’s why this is working so well for me.

8 Likes

I’m intrigued, why cheese? And what kind of cheese?

4 Likes

Here i changed the topic and linked it

The comic cheese

Recently I heared this podcast:
http://l2mastery.com/blog/linguistics-and-education/methods/interview-with-mattias-ribbing-international-grandmaster-memory/

And he explained that you have to give your kanji picture something it is made of

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll bite.

Anyone know what the difference between 定量 and 定額 is? WK lists them, respectively, as “set amount” and “fixed amount,” not allowing either to be substituted for the other. Is there a distinction in English?

4 Likes

They do say sweet dreams are made of cheese. And who am I to diss a brie?

47 Likes

That was a gouda one!

22 Likes

Funny thing, I’ve heard that eating cheese gives you nightmares. This was a myth, though, I think.

Don’t worry, I got the pun. Pls no abuse me.

3 Likes

This is largely a guess since I’m nowhere near fluent, but judging by the compounds on Jisho.org, 定額 is used for money and things related to money (e.g. insurance), and 定量 is used for… other things, particularly “quantitative” things in science.

Edit: With a little bit of poking, I’d say the difference is that 定額 is “set” as in “predetermined and unchanging,” whereas 定量 is “fixed” as in “determined by a real world variable and therefore limited.” So 定額 is used for money largely because it implies a number has been determined and will not change, while 定量 is used for science because it implies a connection between the number and some measurable thing like population or number of atoms or what have you.

11 Likes

Some of them want to abuse you. But then, some of them want to be abused.

22 Likes

Some of them want to fondue you.

15 Likes

Some of them want to be fondued?

18 Likes

AsterixSwitzerland

7 Likes

Can anyone tell me what ハック代行 means? I heard it on a Japanese gaming video while searching up vocabulary terms on Youtube. ハック and 代行 both come up separately when you look them up in the 'ole Jisho, but what do they mean when they’re smushed together? Hack-agent? Hacking substitution??

1 Like